Replacement cabinet hinge, help needed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 02-15-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

View bvesco's Photo Album My Photos
Replacement cabinet hinge, help needed

The main question: Can anyone point me to where I could get an exact or equivalent replacement hinge for the item in the attached pictures?

Background:

The hinge broke on a kitchen cabinet. I'm not a cabinet pro but fancy myself handy enough to replace it. Problem is I don't know where to order a replacement or what words to use in asking for the right thing.

The trickiest part is that the method of attaching to the cabinet door is tool-less. The hinge clamps to the door using a built-in mechanism. I thought I'd get a normal screw-in type hinge but the door is drilled out where the screws would go so there's nothing to screw into. I must find another "clamp-on" style of hinge.

The hinge does have a visible word that might be a brand or model logo, but I'm not familiar with the product and the script is such that I can't make out the word. I've tried Google for any spellings I can think of but still come up empty.

I'm stuck, please help :)
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-15-2015, 06:53 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You won't get that color for one thing. A painter has painted the hinges. What we need to know is if the door was inset or did it overlap the opening. If it did overlap the opening, how much did it overlap the opening.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-15-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

The doors overlap the face of the cabinet. On the "hinge side" of the door I'd say it's about 5/8" (but hard to give "exact" because I have to open the door a bit to be able to see what I'm measuring). So hopefully that's an amount that makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-15-2015, 07:22 PM

I would use a Blum 71T5550 full overlay hinge. It's made to overlap 3/4" but there is enough adjustment to reduce it down to 5/8". http://woodworker.com/107d-fo-hinge-...su-134-243.asp. You buy the hinge and backplate separately. It will need a faceframe backplate B175H6600

Be sure you change all the hinges on that door so they are all alike.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 02-15-2015 at 07:40 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-25-2015, 07:43 AM

View woodmania's Photo Album My Photos
Hi, have you found the hinges. I was in a similar situation where the hinges broke and looking to replace them.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-25-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmania View Post
Hi, have you found the hinges. I was in a similar situation where the hinges broke and looking to replace them.
With European hinges there are so many different hinges and back plates you would need to determine how much the door overlaps the frame and if the hinge has faceplate mount backplates or a box type backplate.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-25-2015, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

I'm still deciphering all the part numbers and charts to convince myself I know what I actually need.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-25-2015, 02:26 PM

The hinge you have has a faceplate backplate. You might just call a hardware company and tell them you need a hinge you can adjust to a 5/8" overlay with a faceplate backplate and let them figure the parts you need. The hinge is also a clip on type hinge which is convenient when removing the doors.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Steve, not trying to be picky but that is not a clip on, see the slot on the end of the hinge for the mounting screw?

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-25-2015, 10:43 PM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
bvesco, I don't know where you live, but if there's a somewhat large city near you, there might be a distributor of cabinet hardware who carries European hinges. If not, Google Euro hinges and make some calls and find one who will sell retail to you. Then you tell them the following info: Is it an overlay or inset door? If it is an overlay door, how far exactly does it overlap the face of the cabinet? Is the mounting plate mounted on the edge of a face frame, or is it mounted on the inside wall of the cabinet? (that's called "box mount") Approximately what degree of opening of the door does the hinge allow? (some will open about 110 degrees, some will go to 170 degrees, and some are in between those)

With that information, they would be able to choose the correct hinges and mounting plates for you. Those catalogs and numbers can be HUGELY difficult to decipher, I know. As for brands, Blum is good, Salice is good, Grass is okay.

Tags
cabinet hinges, hardware

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode