Replacement bandsaw tires and guides? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 24 Old 04-07-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

View SouthernWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Replacement bandsaw tires and guides?

Well, I got a used Delta 28-276 bandsaw last week. I replaced the trunnions with some beefer ones since the old ones were broken. I was testing the blades i got with it today and the tire snapped. What size tire do I need? I measured the wheel and it was just shy of 14in. Im looking for cheap tires mainly. Also, this saw has block guides. They are a little beat up. Should I replace them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I'd get these.

Replacement bandsaw tires and guides?-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1428452348.800717.jpg

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 24 Old 04-07-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

View SouthernWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
I'd get these.

Attachment 147761
Oh ok. It doesnt matter that my wheel is small then 14in. What about the guide blocks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 04-07-2015, 09:27 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It depends. In the long run you should get rubber tires and glue them on. Urethane tires install like a big rubber band and after a few years the rubber band stretches out and sometimes you have trouble with tires walking off the wheel. It's not as bad on saws 14" or smaller but it happens. I installed urethane tires on a 14" saw two years ago and they are beginning to come off.

Most of the places that sell guide blocks sell something called cool blocks. Personally I don't care for the idea and I haven't tried them. I lost one off of a shopsmith saw and I just fabricated a steel block.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Sawdust Creator

Those get a perfect rating with 176 reviews. Numerous reviews said they're on saws with 13.75 inch wheels.

The Following User Says Thank You to ryan50hrl For This Useful Post:
SouthernWoodworking (04-07-2015)
post #6 of 24 Old 04-07-2015, 11:00 PM

View Dan3103's Photo Album My Photos
I put similar tires on my 14" Delta bandsaw a couple of years ago and have had no issues, but I don't use the bandsaw a lot. I also got the Cool Blocks, I like the idea that if the blade comes off, it won't' be contacting a metal block on it's way out. FWIW

When it comes to installing the tires, there are tons of videos out there. Some show boiling the tires in water to heat them up, some use tools to stretch. I found this video and followed his directions and had my tires on the wheels in less than 30 seconds.

http://wn.com/installing_urethane_band_saw_sawmill_tire

176 reviews with a perfect rating says a lot! Wow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan3103 For This Useful Post:
del schisler (04-23-2015)
post #7 of 24 Old 04-08-2015, 09:11 AM

View Improv's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It depends. In the long run you should get rubber tires and glue them on. Urethane tires install like a big rubber band and after a few years the rubber band stretches out and sometimes you have trouble with tires walking off the wheel. It's not as bad on saws 14" or smaller but it happens. I installed urethane tires on a 14" saw two years ago and they are beginning to come off.
The reason your tires are walking off is because you used soapy water to install them. You are correct that they are big rubber bands and they are under tension to hold them on the wheel. The water from your installation has long since evaporated, but the soap is still between the tire and wheel and is lubricating it causing it to walk off.

When you reinstall the tires, I strongly recommend denatured alcohol to clean the wheel and tire of soap, then also use the DNA as the lubricant to reinstall the tire. When the DNA completely evaporates, you will get a very strong grab on the wheel that is not going to walk off on you.

Additionally, the urethane tires are not subject to the dry rot you see in rubber tires (unless you work in a room free of oxygen), so when properly installed should be the last tires installed on the band saw. However, some people do enjoy working with adhesives and scraping off a rotted rubber tire once a decade is something to look forward too.

Regards,
Steve
post #8 of 24 Old 04-08-2015, 09:20 AM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
I'll add my vote for the urethane tires. I put a set on my 1946 Delta 14" saw over 25 years ago & they're still fine. I have no recollection of who the vendor was, but at the time, they said not to glue them on, just stretch them on to the wheels. I remember muscling them on dry, & it wasn't easy!

I also use the cool blocks. If I recall, I flipped them end for end once after they got a little worn.

I should add that since I'm just a hobby woodworker my saw doesn't get a lot of use, so these things may last longer form than for others.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevedore For This Useful Post:
del schisler (04-08-2015)
post #9 of 24 Old 04-08-2015, 03:23 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
New bandsaw tires

southern woodworking
I just replaced tires on my Delta 14" bandsaw this weekend.
It's nice to have someone to help you with this because it's much easier with 3 hands.
I used the urethane tires. Heated them first in hot water and they went on pretty easily. No glue required. Clean and quick.
If you order directly from Delta, you get a thicker urethane, original equipment tire but you have to pay an extra $9.00 for freight.
If you have a Rockler's woodworkers Supply near, they offer replacement tires from Carter. It's a thinner urethane tire, but no freight charge.
Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 24 Old 04-08-2015, 04:39 PM

View pweller's Photo Album My Photos
You can just reface those original blocks and re-use them if you want. It's best if you can figure out a way to face them pretty square, but it really doesn't have to be perfect. That's what I did with my 14" bandsaw.

I'm sure cool blocks would also work fine.
post #11 of 24 Old 04-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Just say no to Urethane tires. Epoxy on rubber is the way to go.

I would call wood workers tool works in WI.
post #12 of 24 Old 04-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Sawdust Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
Just say no to Urethane tires. Epoxy on rubber is the way to go.

Why?

The Following User Says Thank You to ryan50hrl For This Useful Post:
post #13 of 24 Old 04-08-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Why?
Probably has flat wheels with no crown.
post #14 of 24 Old 04-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv View Post
Probably has flat wheels with no crown.

That's one good reason. The others are they just do not last, they slip, they will work themselves off the wheel, sometimes fall off when not even in use.

Epoxy on a rubber set, crown them and run them the rest of your life.
post #15 of 24 Old 04-08-2015, 09:01 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I'd urge you to call Louis Iturra at Iturra Design. His catalog is a goldmine of bandsaw information and he has every part you'll ever need. I got urethane tires for mine and as I recall, I didn't use water or anything, but rolled them on using a dowel. My tires sit in a recess, so they won't roll off the side. I had to change tires because my original rubber tires got stuff imbedded in them and the the urethane tires seem too hard for stuff to get imbedded in them. I also got Iturra's High Tension Spring which allows you to properly tension wider blades. I also got a tension spinner; this isn't a necessity, it just makes it a whole lot easier to tension and more importantly UN-tension blades after use. I wanted to get the Carter guides, but was put off by the cost and ended up with the Cool Blocks and I've been more than happy.

Iturra's telephone number is 904-642-2802
post #16 of 24 Old 04-08-2015, 09:05 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv View Post
The reason your tires are walking off is because you used soapy water to install them. You are correct that they are big rubber bands and they are under tension to hold them on the wheel. The water from your installation has long since evaporated, but the soap is still between the tire and wheel and is lubricating it causing it to walk off.

When you reinstall the tires, I strongly recommend denatured alcohol to clean the wheel and tire of soap, then also use the DNA as the lubricant to reinstall the tire. When the DNA completely evaporates, you will get a very strong grab on the wheel that is not going to walk off on you.

Additionally, the urethane tires are not subject to the dry rot you see in rubber tires (unless you work in a room free of oxygen), so when properly installed should be the last tires installed on the band saw. However, some people do enjoy working with adhesives and scraping off a rotted rubber tire once a decade is something to look forward too.

Regards,
Steve
Hmm, I wonder who snuck the soap into the warm water I used. I thought I just warmed the tires with warm water. As far as the rubber tires rotting, I bought a Shopsmith bandsaw more than 30 years ago and it came with rubber tires and I'm still using them.
post #17 of 24 Old 04-08-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Hmm, I wonder who snuck the soap into the warm water I used.
You probably did. I assuming you shower, or course.

BTW, Shopsmith recommends upgrading to urethane tires.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/c...thanetires.htm
post #18 of 24 Old 04-22-2015, 05:40 PM

View bozara's Photo Album My Photos
Have you tried the ceramic guide blocks from SpaceAge Ceramics? They also make ceramic thrust bearings.
post #19 of 24 Old 04-22-2015, 08:51 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Those get a perfect rating with 176 reviews. Numerous reviews said they're on saws with 13.75 inch wheels.
Ryan
I have a 14" Delta bandsaw. I recently installed new tires and watched a U-Tube video to tune-up and adjust the saw.
I still cannot re-saw hardwood without the blade walking all over the place. In the video, the blade tracks perfectly straight and the instructor saws off a 3/16" piece from a 1" hardwood board perfectly straight.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.
post #20 of 24 Old 04-23-2015, 09:19 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Ryan
I have a 14" Delta bandsaw. I recently installed new tires and watched a U-Tube video to tune-up and adjust the saw.
I still cannot re-saw hardwood without the blade walking all over the place. In the video, the blade tracks perfectly straight and the instructor saws off a 3/16" piece from a 1" hardwood board perfectly straight.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.
i have the delta 14" with riser, is the gulet ridding in the middle of the top tire, if not it should , set guides and thrust beiring's , than it should resaw ok, i resaw 12" stuff all the time no problum , i use 1/2" 3 tpi blade i get my blade's from here call them and tell them what you are going to saw which wood ect http://www.supercutbandsaw.com/ this blade will saw and stay sharp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode