Renovating Staircase - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigJim

post #1 of 11 Old 04-05-2020, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

View ChefAndrew's Photo Album My Photos
Renovating Staircase

Hi all,

Brand new here, came looking for a place to help with ideas on a staircase Iím hoping to renovate.

The original staircase had carpet on it. My plan was to rip it up and then sand/stain the treads to match my flooring and paint or install new white risers. I knew it wasnít going to be easy going into it, as the treads and risers are all curved.

Unfortunately after removing carpet from one of the sets of stairs, Iíve discovered this may be much harder than I thought (and maybe not even possible without ripping out the entire staircase?).

The stringers are shop-built housed stringer construction. (From what Iíve researched online to learn). And one of the two staircases I donít have access to the underside, so I donít think I can cut out the current treads/risers and just replace with new ones as Iíd need to get in behind to wedge and fit the new treads/risers?

Iím looking for any ideas/advice on what I can do to refinish or renovate these stairs to make them stained wood and white risers?

Iíve toyed with the idea of sanding them down and painting as close to my wood floor colour as I could? But not really sure itís going to look the way I want it to.

Pictures attached. I can take more photos or answer any questions you may have. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my conundrum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1A.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	386891  

Name:	2A.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	386893  

Name:	3A.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	386895  

Name:	4A.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	386897  

Last edited by BigJim; 04-05-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-05-2020, 01:57 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
The main problem I see is the treads are plywood. Plywood has a very thin veneer and will not hold up to traffic for long. I would check to see if thin tread caps would work. You don't want to put thick ones on as it could make the stairs out of code. Out of code stairs, an accident and insurance will not pay off, leaving you wide open for a law suit. So you really want the stairs to stay in code

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-05-2020, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply BigJim.

I imagine these stairs are original to the house, so they’ve been here for 20 years and feel sturdy as ever. No creaking or give to them in the slightest.

Edit* in re-reading your post I see your comment about the plywood was about my refinishing comment. Makes sense, sorry about that. I can’t refinish and stain these treads because the layers of plywood show in the front of the treads as well.

I’ve looked at tread caps as an option but I can’t do that with the current treads because of the rounded curved edge. All tread caps I’ve seen are designed to go over a straight edge.

Last edited by ChefAndrew; 04-05-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-05-2020, 05:25 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Make your own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefAndrew View Post
Thanks for the reply BigJim.

I’ve looked at tread caps as an option but I can’t do that with the current treads because of the rounded curved edge. All tread caps I’ve seen are designed to go over a straight edge.

It would be easy enough to glue down some thick veneer and use a router to clean up the round front edge. Then glue on another 1/4" or 3/8" thick strip for the front edge that has been rounded over prior to application.

If you want a thicker bull nose, make a template off one of the steps to make a form in order to bend several thin laminates over while the glue sets up.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-05-2020 at 05:28 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-05-2020, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Here’s some shots of the staircase from beneath. I can only access 1 of the 2 staircases like this from below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E04C99C2-5590-47C0-BF2F-7CDD8F6E8C8E_1586130988666.jpg (296.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 4F3510AA-015E-4419-A969-E6011B6FD9BE_1586131003152.jpg (299.2 KB, 17 views)
post #6 of 11 Old 04-05-2020, 10:21 PM
Ole Woodworker

They are mortise stairs so removing the treads is a big deal. If you were to decide to go with tread caps, you could use a circular saw and cut the nose off. You would have to use a chisel, hand saw, reciprocating saw or an oscillating saw to finish cutting the rest of the way where a circular saw can't cut. It wouldn't have to be dead straight but it sure helps if it is. You could use an edge guide for the circular saw.

The Other
BigJim

post #7 of 11 Old 04-06-2020, 12:21 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Nothing on those is straight.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
They are mortise stairs so removing the treads is a big deal. If you were to decide to go with tread caps, you could use a circular saw and cut the nose off. You would have to use a chisel, hand saw, reciprocating saw or an oscillating saw to finish cutting the rest of the way where a circular saw can't cut. It wouldn't have to be dead straight but it sure helps if it is. You could use an edge guide for the circular saw.

The risers are curved as well as the nose of the treads, so you can't use a straight edge to run a circular saw against:

I posted about thick veneer above:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mahogany-Wo...wAAOSwkXBeMMZK

https://ocoochhardwoods.com/veneers/

https://www.certainlywood.com/result...=Submit+Veneer

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-06-2020 at 12:44 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-06-2020, 09:46 AM
Ole Woodworker

Man, I do need my glasses changed, lol, I missed that one big time, sorry.

That changes things totally. You won't find a cap to fit those treads for sure. All I can think of at this point is tear out and start from scratch on the treads and risers. Or as woodnthings said, wooden nosing with thick veneer. I need more coffee, I will need to think on this one. Any way you go, this is not going to be simple, unless you go back with carpet.
woodnthings likes this.

The Other
BigJim

post #9 of 11 Old 04-06-2020, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for all your ideas so far. I don't think I can remove all the individual treads and risers, as they are wedged in with wooden wedges and glue from the back of the stairs, which I wouldn't be able to get at to properly secure the new treads/risers.

I could cut the nosing off (albeit with a lot of time and work to get around the curved risers), and then install new treads ontop of the existing treads, this would leave me with new, straight edged treads, but still a rounded riser, which I'm not sure would look good?

I was really looking forward to having a set of hardwood stairs when this was all done, but didn't know what I was getting into from the beginning. Currently my working plan, unless there's some other good suggestions, is to redo carpeting over just the stair treads in something more fitting to my decor, and then either a white thick veneer or wood thick veneer stained to match my upstairs flooring on the risers, and sand/paint the stringers white.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-06-2020, 06:52 PM
Ole Woodworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefAndrew View Post
Thank you both for all your ideas so far. I don't think I can remove all the individual treads and risers, as they are wedged in with wooden wedges and glue from the back of the stairs, which I wouldn't be able to get at to properly secure the new treads/risers.

I could cut the nosing off (albeit with a lot of time and work to get around the curved risers), and then install new treads ontop of the existing treads, this would leave me with new, straight edged treads, but still a rounded riser, which I'm not sure would look good?

I was really looking forward to having a set of hardwood stairs when this was all done, but didn't know what I was getting into from the beginning. Currently my working plan, unless there's some other good suggestions, is to redo carpeting over just the stair treads in something more fitting to my decor, and then either a white thick veneer or wood thick veneer stained to match my upstairs flooring on the risers, and sand/paint the stringers white.
I wish there was an easy fix to your situation but so far I can't think of one. I am still thinking about it.

Just brain storming here, this may not be what you want. There is a false red oak false end that fits on top of the tread and extends about 6 inches from the skirt/stringer, see photo. They also have a thin riser that goes below this cap. While this is straight, it may not look bad to have 6 inches of red oak tread and riser on each end of the tread straight and carpet on the center curved part.

You may have to cut in on the nosing a little in order for the nosing to not stand proud of the carpet with these caps but that would be minor. I hope this is making sense.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	False oak tread ends.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	386985  

The Other
BigJim

post #11 of 11 Old 04-06-2020, 07:18 PM
That Guy

View JayArr's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have a solution to the treads but the curved risers could be covered with thin T&G or beadboard and painted. Thin (2"?) T&G would easily conform to the radius of the riser. That might not be the look you want but I thought I'd throw it out there.

What is the current tread height of the stair and what is the current code in your area? It's usually a range and how much you can add to the tread will depend on if you are at the limit of the range.

Adding a tread over what you have makes the first step taller and the last step shorter (all the other steps remain the same) but you may be able to add 1/2-3/4" and still be within code.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode