Removing "shadows" from pine shiplap walls? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By brian.p.naiman
  • 2 Post By PhilBa

post #1 of 18 Old 02-08-2020, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

View brian.p.naiman's Photo Album My Photos
Removing "shadows" from pine shiplap walls?

Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums, and I've got (what I hope to be) a simple question.

I've just recently moved into a small cottage-style building and all of the walls are pine shiplap. It's real shiplap, not the faux stuff that everyone on pinterest is doing nowadays. Anyways, I don't know anything about the history of the building or what it was used for before. I'm attempting to get the place feeling more like a home, rather than a shed, and the shiplap needs a little work. It appears that the previous owners had photos/paintings/mirrors hanging on the walls and they've left "shadows" on the walls. Kind of like when you go into a house that people smoked inside of for years and you can see where the pictures used to hang on the walls.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to how I can "erase" these? Will going over the walls with a rough grit on my random orbit sander give me a good chance at erasing these outlines? I'd ideally like to keep the shiplap unpainted and, once it's cleaned up, give it a few coats of "natural" color danish oil to enhance the wood but also give it a little more depth and luster. I'm trying to avoid having to just paint everything white.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shiplap Shadow.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	384485  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-08-2020, 01:47 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That's not good .....

I don't know what actually caused those "shadows' but I suspect it's either dust and dirt OR exposure to ultraviolet light from direct sunshine? You can always experiment by sanding a small area and see if that does the trick. I fear that a stain will just reflect the light and dark areas and make them even more prominent. A wood bleach may work also? It may take a combination of several methods of remediation.... I donno?

https://www.woodmagazine.com/materia...th-wood-bleach

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 18 Old 02-08-2020, 07:47 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
WoodnThings hit it correctly.
it is where something hung there when the wood was fresh.
UV darkened the area around the item.
Removing &quot;shadows&quot; from pine shiplap walls?-shiplap-shadow.jpg

I know it really bothers you (me too). try to find something of the same size
to hide it (again). several small pictures in the area may be more
aesthetically appealing than one large painting.
your call: sand down the rest of the wall to match (which is a shot in the dark).
or - try to slowly mix a stain to darken the light area. (another shot in the dark).
UV damage on wood can go quite deep. so any kind of sanding may cause more
damage that you anticipate.
if you have the funds, call in a professional person for an "on the spot" opinion.

welcome to the forum !! what part of the world are you in ?

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 02-08-2020 at 08:54 AM. Reason: added photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-08-2020, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

John Smith_inFL, thanks. I figured it was probably just UV damage. I'm surprised though since that area in the photo is on a south wall of the room and the only window is a small north facing one; that wall doesn't really get any direct sunlight at all.

I think staining the area to try to darken it to match sounds tricky and likely to wind up looking worse than before. I'll try sanding and see if I can get it out, or at least reduced, without having to go too deep.

I'm in NorCal.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-08-2020, 12:13 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Brian - just to be clear, you want to sand the dark area - not the light.
I am in Central Florida and I often see the same issue on walls and furniture.
best of luck !! if you can remember, please report back if/when you get it resolved.

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --
post #6 of 18 Old 02-08-2020, 05:47 PM

View homestd's Photo Album My Photos
My laundry room has barn siding (ply panels with a rough face). When I removed some standing shelves there was the same problem. But I guess I'll just live with it and when the ages pass it may darken and not be so noticeable. :-|

Mother is the necessity of most invention.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-08-2020, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post
Brian - just to be clear, you want to sand the dark area - not the light.
I am in Central Florida and I often see the same issue on walls and furniture.
best of luck !! if you can remember, please report back if/when you get it resolved.

Yup, I understand that part
post #8 of 18 Old 02-08-2020, 10:54 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe you should mask off all the dark areas and add high intensity light to the light areas to darken them.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-09-2020, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Q View Post
Maybe you should mask off all the dark areas and add high intensity light to the light areas to darken them.
I feel like that's along the lines of that old story about the Americans spending millions of dollars to perfect a pen that writes in outer space, while the Russians just took up a pencil...
firehawkmph likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-09-2020, 06:27 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Yes I remember the hoo ha about these space pens. believe they used compressed air to drive down the ink to the ball tip. They were then sold to the public as the pen that writes upside down.
johnep
post #11 of 18 Old 02-09-2020, 07:40 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have several of those "space pens" No compressed air. Too small. Same size and shape as regular pens. Been too long ago for me to remember technology.

George
post #12 of 18 Old 02-13-2020, 09:13 PM

View PhilBa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.p.naiman View Post
I feel like that's along the lines of that old story about the Americans spending millions of dollars to perfect a pen that writes in outer space, while the Russians just took up a pencil...
Great story to illustrate how we over engineer things. But, pencils use graphite which is electrically conductive. And in writing with them, little bits break off. Imagine bits of conductive graphite floating around getting into electronics. So, while the story may appeal to people, it's not so black and white.
FrankC and JamesTinKS like this.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-14-2020, 02:04 AM

View woodshed's Photo Album My Photos
I always have a bullet Fisher Space Pen in my pants pocket. It opens into a full size pen. I prefer it to those courtesy pens that they have at banks, restaurants, doctors offices, and pharmacies.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-14-2020, 06:02 AM

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep View Post
Yes I remember the hoo ha about these space pens. believe they used compressed air to drive down the ink to the ball tip. They were then sold to the public as the pen that writes upside down.
johnep
It uses the pressure of writing to pump the ink to the tip.

To OP: It's very likely that someone had a CFL bulb in a lamp or overhead fixture, and they produce a lot of UV light. Even if that's not what happened in your case, UV reflects and will affect things even if it doesn't shine directly on them.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-14-2020, 08:12 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I think if you just leave the curtain off that window so the light spot is exposed to the sun, it will darken on its own and even up in a year or so.
post #16 of 18 Old 02-14-2020, 09:36 AM

View JohnGi's Photo Album My Photos
I'd go along with Quickstep. The only way to even out the color is to let the light do it for you. It will take 1-2 years with pine. I rebuilt some warped birch doors in a cabinet I had made 20 years earlier, and the new doors took 5 years to blend in. Birch ages slower. Anything you try except painting the wall will end up uneven. It sounds like a long time; but after a while you notice it less, and then it's gone.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-14-2020, 10:50 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I had never heard of (or maybe just do not remember) the "bullet" pen. In looking it up I found that I was wrong about it being pressurized. That is how it is mechanized. I do remember just which crew gave me my pens, but I think it Apollo 13. The pens are somewhere in the safe so I cannot just get one to see whose name is on it. Supposedly the ink will stay good for 100 years.

Yes, PhilBa, it is not desirable to have conductive material floating around a space ship cabin.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
Onefreetexan (02-14-2020)
post #18 of 18 Old 02-14-2020, 08:01 PM

View Shine Head's Photo Album My Photos
Removing shadows from pine shiplap walls

Have you tried Naphtha to clean the darker parts of the wall? You could start in a small area and try it to see if it works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode