Refinishing a 100 yr old chair - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 12-05-2008, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

View Pokyrod's Photo Album My Photos
Refinishing a 100 yr old chair

I'm refinishing a chair that belonged to my grandmother. I believe it is over 100 years old. My question is how is the best way to blend the different wood colors on the seat. I'm planning on putting a pretty dark stain, but wondering if I should use a gel stain, sanding sealer? Here is a pic of it.

Rod
Woodworking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RefinishingChair 007.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	5851  

Last edited by Daren; 12-05-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-05-2008, 01:50 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Those colors are not that far apart. If you plan on staining dark...that should take care of it IMO. As for what particular product, can't help you there.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-05-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
Those colors are not that far apart. If you plan on staining dark...that should take care of it IMO. As for what particular product, can't help you there.
Daren,
Thanks. Finishing is definitely one of my weaknesses. When working with wood I try to just clear coat everything I can and just let the natural beauty of the wood show through.

Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-05-2008, 04:43 PM

View tbone's Photo Album My Photos
Sanding sealer first, then stain it whatever color you want.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-06-2008, 11:23 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokyrod View Post
Daren,
Thanks. Finishing is definitely one of my weaknesses. When working with wood I try to just clear coat everything I can and just let the natural beauty of the wood show through.

Rod
Okay, why not do the same with this chair? The grain of the wood looks quite interesting.

Gerry
post #6 of 12 Old 12-06-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Sanding Sealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Sanding sealer first, then stain it whatever color you want.
Tbone,
Here is a picture of it stained. As usual I got in a hurry and went head, but my question is, would the sanding sealer have made this to blend better so the individual boards weren't as noticeable? I'm not sure whether or not I want to cover up the fact that the seat is a glue up.
I'm trying to decide whether or not to sand off the finish on the seat and put on the sanding sealer and re-stain.

Rod
http://picasaweb.google.com/Pokyid/R...97392834070738
post #7 of 12 Old 12-06-2008, 12:35 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Way back when

a lot of these lesser expensive chairs were heavily glazed as to almost be a paint of sorts. They had a dark color to them but the grain was rarely visable. I have not glazed in almost 20 years. Go to a good paint store and see if they have any wood tone glazes. Pick the color you want and follow the instructions.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #8 of 12 Old 12-06-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
a lot of these lesser expensive chairs were heavily glazed as to almost be a paint of sorts. They had a dark color to them but the grain was rarely visable. I have not glazed in almost 20 years. Go to a good paint store and see if they have any wood tone glazes. Pick the color you want and follow the instructions.
Tony,
I think that is exactly what it had on it. I'm not that familiar with a glaze, but know what you are talking about. I really don't want to go that direction so I think I'm going to just finished the way it is.
Thanks for the info.

Rod
post #9 of 12 Old 12-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokyrod View Post
Tbone,
Here is a picture of it stained. As usual I got in a hurry and went head, but my question is, would the sanding sealer have made this to blend better so the individual boards weren't as noticeable? I'm not sure whether or not I want to cover up the fact that the seat is a glue up.
I'm trying to decide whether or not to sand off the finish on the seat and put on the sanding sealer and re-stain.

Rod
Picasa Web Albums - rod83202 - Refinishing C...

From the looks of it it appears that your sanding was eratic. Sanding with the grain is imperative, and I would not go smoother than 150x or 180x. Using the sealer first may prevent stain from penetrating. The differences in colors in the wood sections IMO, adds to the flavor of a wood piece.

post #10 of 12 Old 12-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Too old to die young

View The Mind Train's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not really sure why you want to hide the fact it is a glue-up?

I agree with all replies above. If you are staining then use sanding sealer first to get an even take-up of colour but make sure you choose a staining product that is compatble with the type of sealer (i.e. shellac or cellulose sealer). The grain pattern does look interesting and I think I would have gone for danish oil with a little stain added - but that is just personal preference.

I did a silmilar project a couple of years ago with an old kitchen table in pine that had a glue-up top. Once I had all the old paint off (I put the legs on my lathe and spun them at low speed to make sanding them down easier) I finished it with clear danish oil to bring out the grain and it looked fine.

Bob
post #11 of 12 Old 12-07-2008, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for all of the help. I put the final coat of polyurethane on last night. I might have put the danish oil on if I hadn't already started. It's not perfect but it will be a nice functional chair for us.

Rod
http://dirtbiketrailsidaho.com/woodworking.aspx
Pic of the finished product:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Pokyid/R...58661592301282

Last edited by Pokyrod; 12-07-2008 at 05:43 PM.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Too old to die young

View The Mind Train's Photo Album My Photos
What matters most is that you enjoyed the process of restoration and can now enjoy the chair.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode