Reference material list (books, mags, links) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 129 Old 01-03-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Reference material list (books, mags, links)

This has been discussed and some members showed interest in a "go to" thread for reading materials. I think we all read what we can about this hobby/profession as a learning tool, that is the main reason most of us are here in the first place as a knowledge share.

Good woodworking books, interesting articles etc. If you read something that you think may be helpful to another member, post it here. I am even adding links to reference. I am not crazy about the idea of links to retail (lumberyard for example) sites, just reference.

This can be changed if someone has a better idea. I think you should enter the subject in the title of your post. If it is about finishing for example, use that as a title. If it is just general, that is fine too. Tell us what you got out of the material as sort of an overview for someone else researching the same topic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daren For This Useful Post:
TCO (09-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 Old 01-03-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

wood id links

Here are some links I dragged out of old posts:

Do you have reference sites favorited for wood ID ? I do. I will add a couple here, feel free to post your own links.

Here is a great one (I think I have linked it before) this guy has went to major effort to compile 1000's of pictures of wood species. http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...indextotal.htm

Here is another. It is more tree related, but thats where lumber comes from . For you woodworkers that may want to have your own lumber milled, this is a tree id link. You never know, the neighbor may be cutting down a tree that would make some great projects. I used this alot getting started milling, until I could id stuff from memory.http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/map/zonemap.cfm

Anyone else have any ? Not just wood id, but maybe wood properties/uses. This one has been linked here before (where I found it ) but we might as well put all the links in one place as a go to thread for research. A toxic wood list. http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm

Here is another. Kinda text heavy, but there are some pictures (you have to click the links to see the images). Interesting read if you want to know more about figure in wood (curly, burls...), like possible causes and what to look for. http://www.ag.auburn.edu/aaes/commun...dex.html#intro
post #3 of 129 Old 01-03-2008, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Understanding wood

The first book (in my opinion) any woodworker should read. Some guys who have been at it for 20 years, still drag it off the shelf.

Understanding Wood: A Craftman's Guide to Wood Technology. Author Bruce Hoadley.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daren For This Useful Post:
cellophane (08-08-2011), jacko9 (10-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 129 Old 01-03-2008, 12:47 PM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
OK... more "Structural" related

The Wood Handbook Wood as an Engineering Material:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/fplgtr113.htm

Last edited by Daren; 01-03-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: I did not edit, but it is going to say I did.
post #5 of 129 Old 01-03-2008, 04:05 PM

View ajh359's Photo Album My Photos
Can we post some post some PDF files, post a link to rapidshare.com?
RobertCasey likes this.
post #6 of 129 Old 01-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Senior Member from MN

View Daveb's Photo Album My Photos
Table Saw Techniques

When I first purchased my table saw, I bought "Table Saw Techniques, Revised Edition" by Roger Cliffe.

It has a lot of good information on many different tasks and is well organized.
post #7 of 129 Old 01-12-2008, 11:30 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
One of the best books I have purchased is "A guide to basic sharpening" by Taunton Press. It is available from Lee Valley Tolls, for about $22. This book starts by giving you an overview of the materials used in cutting tools, and then goes on to explain in some detail how to achieve an excellent cutting edge. While it covers sharpening many tools, I found the sections dealing with chisels and plane blades very helpful. www.leevalleytools.com

Gerry
post #8 of 129 Old 01-15-2008, 12:09 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
For a beginer to woodworking Reader's Digest book of "Skills & Tools" is a good book to start with. I bought mine at a garage sale for .50 cents.

Home Depot put out a book called "trimwork 1-2-3". I refer to once and a while.

I go to all the yard sales or garage sale looking for any woodworking books. You can normaly get a $35.00 book for a few bucks or less.
post #9 of 129 Old 01-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Senior Member from MN

View Daveb's Photo Album My Photos
Don't forget the public library!

I was there with my kids the other day and was surprised at the number of woodworking books they had. It's a 1/2 mile from my house and FREE. Its' a resource easily forgotten.
post #10 of 129 Old 01-18-2008, 06:03 PM

View JON BELL's Photo Album My Photos
www.owwm.com --old woodworking machines.
www.antiquesbuiltdaily.com
www.woodnet.net
google sketchup CAD
cabinetplanner CAD
expertvillage
about.com
youtube
www.woodworking.org
www.hobbithouseinc.com pictures and descriptions of wood.THE BEST
www.gilmerwood.com pictures of wood
www.joewoodworker.com all about veneering. This site shows you how to build a vacuum press for ab. $150.
books--Furniture making techniques vol.1&2 by David Charlesworth. www.davidcharlesworth.co.uk

These are some of the spots on my list.

Last edited by JON BELL; 02-08-2008 at 06:49 PM.
post #11 of 129 Old 01-20-2008, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Big trees

I like this link. It is the big tree registry. You can see your state records and big trees around the country. Not so much lumber related, but cool anyway, I like trees . http://www.americanforests.org/resou...s/register.php
post #12 of 129 Old 01-23-2008, 01:48 PM

View Sam Yerardi's Photo Album My Photos
I'm new to this site so I thought I would just jump in here. I love to build period furniture so a lot of my books are in that vein.

All of the Fine Woodworking magazines
All of the books by:
Franklin Gottshall
Andy Marlow
Carlyle Lynch
VJ Taylor
John Shea
Lester Margon
post #13 of 129 Old 01-23-2008, 06:10 PM

View JON BELL's Photo Album My Photos
Planes

Daren mentioned this site on a prev. thread.I thought it was so good that I would put it here.It has alot of info about old hand planes.
www.supertool.com check out Patrick's b&g

Last edited by JON BELL; 01-26-2008 at 04:40 PM.
post #14 of 129 Old 01-23-2008, 07:04 PM

View Capt Crutch's Photo Album My Photos
I like "The Table Saw Book" by R.J. DeCristoforo.

Then again, I like just about anything written by R.J. DeCristoforo!
post #15 of 129 Old 01-31-2008, 06:19 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
I just received my first copy of "SHopNotes" magazine, and I have to tell you it is great. It also came with a magazine called "The Complete Small Shop". Both are filled with more hand made jigs for all your shop tools. They have step be step measured drawing on every jig. All the plans in the Small Shop can be found at www.plansnow.com

I have a lot of books in my library on "how to" and "were to get" and these 2 will be a great addition. And NO this isnt a paid advertizment. Just passing on good stuff.
post #16 of 129 Old 01-31-2008, 10:43 PM

View stuart's Photo Album My Photos
post #17 of 129 Old 02-04-2008, 04:57 PM

View John Madera's Photo Album My Photos
I just found a great magazine that comes out quarterly as a DVD with live video articles, called Woodworking in action!!!. Check out the online site at www.woodworkinginaction.com to watch the trailers for each issue.
post #18 of 129 Old 02-21-2008, 03:04 PM

View Woodenpecker's Photo Album My Photos
Wood Strength Table

Here is a link I found of wood strengths. It was on the US Forest Service page, but someone at Woodbin converted the newton algebra figures to PSI so dummies like me can actually read it. Thank You Woodbin
http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/strength_table.htm
post #19 of 129 Old 02-22-2008, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Wood uses and properties

This one is from Ohio State Univ. it is uses and properties. It talks about hardwoods and softwood, most of which are east of the Rockies. There are some species you will never run into at the chain lumber yards, but may luck into at a mill. http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0009.html
post #20 of 129 Old 02-27-2008, 04:58 PM

View Boardman's Photo Album My Photos
Just came across this list of related sites. Haven't hit them all yet but most appear to be still valid links:

http://www.firstdesignwoodworking.com/id2.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Boardman For This Useful Post:
Augus (05-18-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode