Redwood Slab Bookmatched table - need advice! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 04-01-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

View mrsfetterman's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Redwood Slab Bookmatched table - need advice!

We have two slabs measuring 15' L x 27" W x 2 3/4" thick. We had our redwood cut and milled in our back yard, and the slabs have been sitting for a year, under a tarp drying.

There is some mold on the ends, but we are planning on cutting the boards down to 10' in length for our dining table.

We are moving into a larger house and would like to set it up in the dining room, covered, to finish drying. So we would be moving it from outdoors to indoors, and probably keeping a table cloth with plastic covering (think picnic table cloth) over it to protect from spills.

We are doing this because we don't really have the space at the new place to store the wood outside any longer, and we are very anxious to get the table in place, although we know it will be unfinished until it is totally dry and ready to be worked.

My husband is planning on building a temporary support structure for it which would involve screwing the support structure into the bottom of the not-thoroughly dried planks.

That is our plan, please tell me if this is a mistake and we would be ruining the table and the time and money we already have invested into it!

Thanks!

Last edited by mrsfetterman; 04-01-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: images too large
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-01-2014, 05:34 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would get a moisture content meter and determine if the wood is dry or not. Generally as a rule of thumb it takes a year air drying for every inch of thickness the wood is so you might have another year and nine months to go.

If you are going to cover the wood with plastic it needs to be more like a tent allowing air to circulate around the wood. It's also a good idea to seal the ends of newly cut wood but it's a little late now. The ends of lumber are bad to crack as they dry.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 04-01-2014 at 05:54 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-01-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

View mrsfetterman's Photo Album My Photos
Is it going to hurt the wood to bring it inside to finish drying? Provided I 'tent' a cover over it to keep air flow all around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-01-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfetterman View Post
Is it going to hurt the wood to bring it inside to finish drying? Provided I 'tent' a cover over it to keep air flow all around?
Any place you could put the wood that there is less moisture in the air could only help the wood dry. Be sure to keep the sticks between the boards.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Generally as a rule of thumb it takes a year air drying for every year of thickness the wood is so you might have another year and nine months to go.

(year) ??????

Actually the time is general. The MC can be checked. I would cut the boards long to begin with which would minimize any end checking or cracking that may wind up being in the final length.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-01-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
(year) ??????

Actually the time is general. The MC can be checked. I would cut the boards long to begin with which would minimize any end checking or cracking that may wind up being in the final length.

Comes from people yacking at me while I'm posting a message.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Comes from people yacking at me while I'm posting a message.
You're probably just in too much of a rush.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-02-2014, 06:13 AM

View Bastien's Photo Album My Photos
Have it kiln dried, and let's get the party started. Be sure to post pics when it's done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode