redoing shop and project question. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 09-20-2014, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

View SouthernWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
redoing shop and project question.

So, I have been in my shop for around 3 months and already need more room. The shop is about 11x18 but is in a 60x40 barn. The room im in is a old horse tack room and I can expand into the stalls beside me but they are open to the weather so I would have to wall them off and stuff. What would be the best way to frame this out? Havent done any framing before but am sure I could get the just of it pretty quick.

Now as a few of you know, I have been doing woodworking for money for gas stuff lately ( still in school). Ive been making cutting boards, planters, and benches mostly but have been told by a few clients that they think id make a nice farm table. I think the lumber would only be about $130 but im not sure if I should invest that cause im not sure how it would sell. The people who recommended it wouldn't buy it but they said it would sell quick. Being in the south, they are common but nobody seems to be selling them around here. Maybe thats good thing if people want them....

So what do yall think? Farm table yay or nae and how to expand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-20-2014, 08:47 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
You will probably find your answer if you Google "how to frame a wall".
post #3 of 15 Old 09-20-2014, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
You will probably find your answer if you Google "how to frame a wall".
My bad, I should have been more clear. Their is existing framing in the barn about waist high. I dont know If I should tear it down or just add on to it. I would assume I need to frame this like a home correct? Or would that be overkill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-20-2014, 09:05 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would tear down the waist high framing and start over. Since you are building inside of an existing barn you don't necessaraly have to frame it like a house. Assuming it has a dirt floor you could set some posts into the ground and just put about three 2x6's horizontal on the posts and then put either R-Panel sheet metal or even corrugated tin in it. If you are trying to heat this area in winter you might put some metal building insulation on the framing first. It comes in rolls 4'to 6' wide and has a white vinyl face on it.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-20-2014, 09:32 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Barn stalls are often made of Oak

Around here trey are made to resist a full grown animal and need to be pretty strong. So instead of tearing out the wall just build your new wall about 12" in front of it and save all the labor of the tear out, which could be extensive if trying to pull nails out of hardwood. If your stalls are softwood, then tear it out and locate the new wall far into the stall.

Framing a wall is best down layind down, horizontally and then just tip it up and block or wedge it in place at the top. iIf the bottom will be in dirt, then you'll need to dig a trench and either set in a 6" X 8" landscape timber or other large timber to secure the base...and then there's alway a concrete "footer" . If the ground freezes, but I doubt that, it will heave and move the wall around.

AS far as selling farm tables, they are often made wil "reclaimed" barn wood and rustic, rather than new lumber. OR you can have your new lumber rough sawn, then skip planed to just make it a little smoother, but not like finished wood. It should have some ripples and saw marks for character.

A search of Farm Tables "images" and you will get some ideas:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...&va=farm+table

If you can use "rough sawn" lumber you will save a lot on the materials cost...whether they will sell depends on your craftsmanship, the "look" and the finish. An oil type finish rather than a film type finish like varnish will make it easier to maintain. Go to a few local sawyers and get some prices, be sure to tell them what you are making and that you are just starting out. They may help out with a price break and if and when you come back for more, then they have a "repeat" customer. Form a relationship/friendship and that will always serve you both well. Ask me how I know this....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 15 Old 09-21-2014, 12:03 AM

View tinstar's Photo Album My Photos
Building something such as a table has pros and cons. Its a great idea to build the table to show potential clients what you can do but the chances of someone looking for the exact table that you've built are slim. The chances that someone appreciates the work you do and wants the same table but 4" longer or shorter are much greater. So if you build the table, be prepared to keep it for a while until the right person shows up. Meanwhile you may be building custom work for new clients based on the quality of the first table. This has been my experience and the experience of a few of the local woodworkers I've talked to.

As far as closing the next stall, its not structural so if there isn't a door in the middle then frame the opening in the same way that the rest of the barn is framed. I would leave what is there and frame it with 2x4's. If its a metal barn, leave room for horizontal 2x's to screw the metal to.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-21-2014, 12:13 AM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernWoodworking View Post
My bad, I should have been more clear. Their is existing framing in the barn about waist high. I dont know If I should tear it down or just add on to it. I would assume I need to frame this like a home correct? Or would that be overkill?
Pictures would help.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-21-2014, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
Pictures would help.
They will come tomorrow
post #9 of 15 Old 09-21-2014, 04:15 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Pics are really a must for any of us to steer you in the right direction. I know you said they are coming so we'll wait and see. My first thought, if its feasible, is to tear out the half wall, use that barn wood for projects and build a new wall.

As for building tables, or any other type of projects, if its just a hobby and you have storage space than go for it. If youre trying to make money than its not very business smart to have a bunch of product sitting around that there may not be any demand for. If profit is your objective I would stick to building by request.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-21-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Here are the photos. As you can see ( pardon the messy shop, just brought over new tools and havent put them up yet.) its a little cramped in shop. I need a room to stain wood and stuff like that. I would say what i think needs to be done but since it will be wrong, I let the experienced speak.
Attached Images

post #11 of 15 Old 09-21-2014, 04:52 PM

I dont know why I was thinking you were in a 1800's barn but thats just what the image was in my head ha ha.

Obviously that looks pretty modern if not recently built so the reclaiming of the "old barn wood" is off the table. I would say loose that gate and frame that from the floor up and just build on top of the existing half walls. Just build it like a standard partition wall for a house.

Were you planning on taking out the dividing wall from the existing shop and where youre looking to expand into, or just make that a separate room?
post #12 of 15 Old 09-21-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamfer View Post
I dont know why I was thinking you were in a 1800's barn but thats just what the image was in my head ha ha.

Obviously that looks pretty modern if not recently built so the reclaiming of the "old barn wood" is off the table. I would say loose that gate and frame that from the floor up and just build on top of the existing half walls. Just build it like a standard partition wall for a house.

Were you planning on taking out the dividing wall from the existing shop and where youre looking to expand into, or just make that a separate room?
Im not sure yet. I was gonna make a door to next stall and make that a finishing/assembly room but i dont know yet. How much would this cost to do about? ( give or take $100)
post #13 of 15 Old 09-21-2014, 05:53 PM

Well if you want to make that a separate room I would suggest using the gate opening as your door. It looks like its big enough for a 36" door so I would frame it for that. If its not, measure it and go with the largest size door you can.

As for cost, figure out what a 2x4 sells for in your area ($3-4 around here) and do some measuring. Most walls are built 16" on center, meaning theres a stud every 16". If you want to build the walls on the ground and set them in place youll also need to account for a top AND bottom plate. If you build to the existing half walls you could skip the bottom plate. Youll also need some kind of plywood (or something) to finish it off. You wont need anything treated for any of this.

You need to do some measuring and materials cost to find out how much it will roughly cost. If you have no experience framing I would also suggest some quick education on the subject, such as youtube or a book. If none of what I said above makes any sense than do some research on basic framing for a wall.

And feel free to keep asking questions.

Last edited by Chamfer; 09-21-2014 at 05:56 PM.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-23-2014, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so got the idea of framing down now. Im also thinking about painting my shop walls white. Would this be a good idea?
post #15 of 15 Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernWoodworking View Post
Ok, so got the idea of framing down now. Im also thinking about painting my shop walls white. Would this be a good idea?
Yes, by all means, unpainted wood soaks up the light like you won't believe.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode