Record Vise - Worth Buying & Repairing? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

View Saxe Point's Photo Album My Photos
I can get a used Record vise (Model 52, I believe) for about $65. I understand they are great vises and are no longer made. The only problem is that the hole at the end of the main shaft/screw that holds the roll pin (I think) is broken. I am told (haven't seen the vise yet) that it would be an easy fix that involves drilling a new small hole to put the pin into and that there is room on the shaft to do so. The vise is otherwise fine apparently.

Is this an easy repair and one that is worthwhile doing? Any other concerns I should have? I am a novice and this will be my first vise. Any advice based on your knowledge and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Saxe Point; 04-02-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
If a hole is broken, it infers the shaft broke.

Without pictures, we are not able to understand whether the repair is easy or not worth the trouble.

FYI, you can get a new vise from Grizzly for less than the asking price of this fixer-upper.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/category/590020
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
Woodwart (04-02-2013)
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Record 52 1/2, and am only guessing at a repair. My pin wasn't a roll pin, but rather a solid piece (not hardened, either) that wore wear it rubbed against that washer that goes between it and the "dog bone" (my name for it). Make sure you have that washer, it's kind of a cupped job. If the hole is broken, you can easily drill a new one, and you can probably use a roll pin.....but the screw shaft may be too short to fix. Where I come out on this is "maybe" (lot of help, huh?). I've seen working used ones selling for $100, or like Dave suggested get a copy for less. In my case, where the pin had worn, I simply shifted it slightly to get a full contact surface against the washer. I may have a pic of that, if I can find it I'll post back....but my guess is the $65 is a bit high for a "maybe fixable" vise.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

I have not yet seen the vise, but I think this is what is described as the problem area. True?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1571373338.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	67369  

post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Yep. That blueish thing is what I call the dog bone. I was wrong about the washer being a cup shaped design...it's actually just a flat washer (brain fart on my part, sorry). Her's what I was trying to describe...notice if that hole and shaft are broken off, there is no more room for a repair. You would have to shorten the two smooth shafts to make more room for the "dog bone" to be moved down a faction of an inch...which would allow for a new hole and pin. (hope that made sense).

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)

Last edited by Fred Hargis; 04-02-2013 at 12:31 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 PM

View Cliff's Photo Album My Photos
A hole is broken? Whazzat mean? Holes don't break. Holes are the absence of stuff. Is the casting where the hole is located cracked? Is there a crack that passes through the hole causing the hole to be larger than it ought to be?

Cast iron is hinky stuff to weld. It can be done but ya gotta heat the whole casting up to a very high temperature so that the welded area doesn't just break away during cooling.

Quote:
I have not yet seen the vise, but I think this is what is described as the problem area. True?
I'm confused. You don't know what is wrong with this thing because you haven't seen it and the seller's representations are so inarticulate and unhelpful that you can't reliably say what is wrong?

Maybe you should not spend the $$.

If the shaft is sheared off then it can be welded back on but the cost you'll pay for such a weld is likely to be more than the value of the item.
You could also tap and drill the shaft to simply bolt a new stub end on, but only after you toss it in a lathe and turn the end
You can also just tap and drill the end for a 1/2-13 or 3/8-16 bolt and use that with a washer and some locktite to do what the pin was doing quite reliably. You'd only need to file or grind a flat spot to center the drill to do this.

Short from long: If the lead-screw is broke and you can't replace it then the vice is also broke and you shouldn't buy it.

Hey~!!! It's a hobby~!! It's not supposed to make sense.

Last edited by Cliff; 04-02-2013 at 01:22 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Senior junior member

View Woodwart's Photo Album My Photos
I would look at that, think very hard about fixing it, and then buy a different vise.

Cheers,
Roger
post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2013, 03:00 PM

View Mandres's Photo Album My Photos
I've had this one from harbor freight on my bench for years now:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...ise-95203.html

It works just fine. Every now and then I hit the rails with a scotch-brite and some paste wax to keep them from rusting.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-26-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

I skipped the damaged vice and I think it was a good move. I just bought a Record 52 1/2 ED for $90. Never installed, so effectively brand new. Below is a picture. Did I do okay?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-390620363.jpg
Views:	3581
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	69236  

post #10 of 11 Old 04-26-2013, 02:34 PM

I'd say you did great....I've seen them go for $200 in that condition.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hargis View Post
I'd say you did great....I've seen them go for $200 in that condition.
Thanks. I got that sense as well. I'm not much good at negotiating anyway, but when I saw its condition (still has the factory grease on it) I just paid the fellow his $90 asking price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode