Reconfiguring my garage workshop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 38 Old 03-26-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

View mwhals's Photo Album My Photos
Reconfiguring my garage workshop

I have scrapped building the separate workshop, but am going to reconfigure my garage workshop with the new Delta Unisaw as the heart of it (what else would a table saw be?).

I am going to remove my existing attached workbench that takes up 16 feet of wall (bends around a corner). It will be replaced by a 3 foot wide by 2 foot deep attached shelving unit that will stretch from the floor to the ceiling that will house everything under my existing workbench.

A new workbench will be built that will not be attached to the wall. I am looking at 24 or 30 inches deep and 6 to 8 feet long depending on space. It will based on workbench designs by Christopher Schwarz.

I will add a floor band saw and floor drill press to accompany the Unisaw. Everything will be on mobile bases. Due to space, I do not plan on having a floor jointer or planer, unless I find that they will fit (the Grizzly shop planner doesn't show them fitting). The plan is to use hand planes to prepare my stock, which means I will add them to my tool collection. The drill press will be used for mortising to save taking up space with a dedicated mortiser. I have removed a free standing metal shelving unit from the garage that took up space and have all the items from it under my current workbench.

It will not all happen overnight, but I hope to have it complete in the next year.

This will be a compromise from what I really wanted, but it results in me not building a smaller building that I want. I can transfer the workbench and tools to a new workshop building in a few years and then add a jointer and planer at that time. By then, I will have honed my skill with the hand planes, which will be a good compliment to power equipment.

Since the truck will be parked outside during this transformation, I may get used to it. It is the only vehicle of ours that has an alarm system in it. It could lead to the car leaving the garage too, but my wife would never allow it.

I do thank everyone for their suggestions regarding workshop doors, size, heating, cooling, etc. They will be incorporated into a future detached workshop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 03-26-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Here are pictures of the current setup, minus the table saw that has been sold (will pick up Unisaw after my business trip this week if it isn't raining next weekend).

Last edited by mwhals; 04-05-2011 at 10:21 PM.
post #3 of 38 Old 03-26-2011, 11:38 PM
pope of chilitown

View timmybgood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhals View Post
Due to space, I do not plan on having a floor jointer or planer, unless I find that they will fit (the Grizzly shop planner doesn't show them fitting).
they will fit by several miles. most of the grizzly jointers and planers come on mobile stands. you have plenty of room to put it near the middle when it's cold out. otherwise you could put it near the door of the garage and do 16' boards.

planer is on the left in the pic, it moves easily when i need it to. the jointer is coming monday morning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 03-26-2011, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmybgood

they will fit by several miles. most of the grizzly jointers and planers come on mobile stands. you have plenty of room to put it near the middle when it's cold out. otherwise you could put it near the door of the garage and do 16' boards.

planer is on the left in the pic, it moves easily when i need it to. the jointer is coming monday morning
I park the truck in the middle and the tractor and car are on the other half of the garage. Everything needs to fit along the wall as I prefer the truck to still be in the garage.

Last edited by mwhals; 03-26-2011 at 11:47 PM.
post #5 of 38 Old 03-27-2011, 07:57 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I think they'll fit too. I had a small two stall in my old house, vehicles parked inside, and in it I fit a floor bandsaw, miter saw, table saw with router wing, jointer, planer, bench DP, my lumber racks, an 8 ' workbench, and still had room to walk around. Just have to get creative. I picked up Wood Magazines small shop solutions for ideas. There are quite a few in there. There are many other ideas online and in magazines too for small shop solutiions. A lot of people really thought outside the box to fit everything in their shops and it shows with some of the ideas.
post #6 of 38 Old 03-27-2011, 08:02 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like you have a really great plan. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of the finished shop. Set it up right and you'll really enjoy it I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing the new saw too.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #7 of 38 Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 AM

View dwendt1978's Photo Album My Photos
A planer is a bench top item and I think they make some nice bench top jointers. Not sure on this though maybe someone can chime in. But your plans sound pretty good though. By all means, make it suit YOU.

My shop is in our garage as well. So if you're feeling like "I just don't want to have to move this thing all the time." I know exactly what you mean.
post #8 of 38 Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 AM

View Jackfre's Photo Album My Photos
Pretty exciting...

In my garage shop, because things always seemed to change I had everything mobil. I welded up two big frames of 1" blk pipe I had laying around and made the shelves out of 3/4" pw. Heavy duty casters and I could hold mountains of stuff that I could roll around, even if I had to use a come-along to do so. Having given all that stuff away with the house sale, I'll replace them with 2" channel next time. I also had a couple of the 3x18"x7' metal cabinets that I put a 3/4" pw base under with good casters. My layout would change depending upon what the project was and how often I got to work on things.

Personally, I'd get a benchtop drill press. I have the big Delta and, for me, it hasn't earned its space. My fault I be hard pressed to do without a stand alone planer and jointer. I'd get even less done
post #9 of 38 Old 04-02-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Here is how it stands after the contractor table saw and the shelving unit to the left of the workbench has been removed:

below old workbench will be sold and replaced with shelving. I may even replace the sheving unit to its right (got to love the way wide angle lenses turn straight lines into angled lines):

I am planning on building the new shelving on the right side of the garage up from the floor so that I can put a planer and jointer under it for storage. That way I do not lose valuable wall space that will allow the car and truck to still go in the garage with the tractor. I believe in maintaining floor space after 3 years of this garage setup.

Last edited by mwhals; 04-05-2011 at 10:25 PM.
post #10 of 38 Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

The built-in workbench I built in 2007 is ready for dismantling.

post #11 of 38 Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Cabinets and top surface of the workbench are removed:

Below the top frame of the workbench is removed:

That was a lot of work, so I am done for the day and will continue tomorrow.
post #12 of 38 Old 04-03-2011, 07:57 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Loving the progress pictures. It looks great. I feel a little bad for your DeWalt DW788 scroll saw on the floor like that. I mean, you should have it in your living room covered in a warm blanket. Keep up the great work.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #13 of 38 Old 04-03-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo View Post
Loving the progress pictures. It looks great. I feel a little bad for your DeWalt DW788 scroll saw on the floor like that. I mean, you should have it in your living room covered in a warm blanket. Keep up the great work.
I can't stand any of it on the floor, but progress is always preceded by a mess. I did put it on a couple of blocks of wood to keep it off the floor incase the car brings in some water from rain.
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhals For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (04-03-2011)
post #14 of 38 Old 04-04-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

After an evening of pulling tons of nails and removing screws and lag screws, the workbench is just planks of wood and plywood. After this picture, I patched all the holes from the lag screws and cabinet screws. Tomorrow, I will paint the walls the same color they were painted in 2007 so they are whole again. Now I need to get some shelving up so I can put things away properly.

Last edited by mwhals; 04-05-2011 at 08:29 PM.
post #15 of 38 Old 04-05-2011, 02:10 PM

Work faster, we need more pics.
post #16 of 38 Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

The walls have been patched and repainted. Now waiting for them to dry. The next planned revision is to add 220V to the garage with at least two outlets (one for tool, other for dust collector). Then the shelving will come. Found some metal shelving at Lowes that looks like it exactly what I want and I can take it with me. That was the problem at the other house as I lost my built in shelving when we sold it.

Much of the plywood will be donated to my wife's high school for her prom that she is leading. I won't have room for all that wood that I had and that came from the workbench dismantling.

I have tendonitis of the wrists, so the pace won't go too fast.

post #17 of 38 Old 04-05-2011, 09:57 PM
woodbutcherer

View jstange2's Photo Album My Photos
Nice job.
post #18 of 38 Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

I am just excited about all the new floor and wall space for placing future floor tools. This is what I was lacking with the built-in design I built in 2007. We truly do get smarter as we learn from our past mistakes. That much workbench space was never used all at once. A detached workbench is all I really need, wich will take up much less wall space than the 18 feet that was taken up with the built-in bench.
post #19 of 38 Old 04-09-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

My wrist tendonitis has put me out of commission for now since my doctor wants me to rest my wrist. If not for that, my driveway would have me out of commission anyway. The 120 foot gravel driveway is being replaced with a concrete one. While under construction, I can't use it and will have to wait a few days after it is finished before I take my truck up it to the garage. As a result, I can't get supplies to my garage by truck and I can't carry them right now due to my wrist.
post #20 of 38 Old 04-09-2011, 09:46 AM

Geez mwhals, sounds like your falling apart! Be careful or your wife might take you out back and put you down!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode