Reclaimed Wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 09-30-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

View reclaimedrachel's Photo Album My Photos
Reclaimed Wood

I'm trying to find out how people feel about reclaimed wood. My question is, if you're into reclaimed wood furniture, what is it that you like about it? Are you more into the LOOK of the wood, or the story behind the wood?

And if you are more into the look, how important is it to you that it's actually "reclaimed?" Are you okay with it just looking like it is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-01-2016, 09:54 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
It depends on the "style" of the "reclaimed wood furniture" and its original purpose. Some request the "piece be made like new (again)", while others just need a repair/change over to make the piece useable. It is amazing at the various degrees of quality craftsmanship involved - from non-fitting to extreme details, from all eras. Todays wood styles tend, IMO to "go with everything", but it is only if the piece is repairable/restorable & useful. Be safe.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-01-2016, 10:43 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by reclaimedrachel View Post
I'm trying to find out how people feel about reclaimed wood. My question is, if you're into reclaimed wood furniture, what is it that you like about it? Are you more into the LOOK of the wood, or the story behind the wood?

And if you are more into the look, how important is it to you that it's actually "reclaimed?" Are you okay with it just looking like it is?

If the wood is reclaimed from a 150 year old structure the wood is generally of higher quality then you can get currently. Boards are wider, grain is tighter and straighter. Hence the premium.

Reclaimed wood from something newer is just recycling, which is ok too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-01-2016, 11:33 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
"You don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle!", and many are just fine with this.

You make a statement saving garbage wood from pallets, and if you have ever redecorated and tried to sell quality "used" furniture it will shock you how little it is worth compared to what you paid for it. So why not extend the life of a pallet for a few years if that makes you happy whether you are the buyer or seller.

Recently a store opened in the local mall, they specialize in trendy rustic style furniture, featuring poor joinery, bad design and high prices, will be interesting how long they stay in business.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #5 of 12 Old 10-01-2016, 02:23 PM
World's Tallest Midget

View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
It's all about the story for me. The look is good, don't get me wrong, but I like the tactile connection to the past.

I love architecture (even though I know very little about it), and one of my favorite parts is looking at old houses and buildings and wondering who built them, what their lives were like. Same goes for barn wood furniture and art pieces.

I do use a lot of pallet wood but to be honest it's because I get pallets for free, and people like the stuff I make out it. In the PNW recycling is next to Godliness (I always tell the kids when we visit my mom in Seattle that if they don't recycle the Democrats will throw them in jail), so there's that aspect to it. Most of my pallet projects I build to sell.

I hate signatures.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-01-2016, 04:09 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I've done it both ways. Rustic look and completely milled and finished.
I guess it just depends on what you are looking for.
My projects were made from pallet material.

Below is a picture frame I made for my grand daughter's baby sonogram. The picture is just a test fit using a photo I had taken at a softball tournament. It was made from 100 year old reclaimed wood.

Next is a coat rack made completely from pallet wood. The sides were made from the pallet runners that had been milled and glued together to make the panels wide enough to use. It turned out pretty nice.

Then there is the wine rack made from pallet material.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chelsis Picture Frame-web.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	256361  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-22 18.50.44.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	256385  

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
woodchux (10-02-2016)
post #7 of 12 Old 10-04-2016, 06:43 AM

View woodcore's Photo Album My Photos
Pay attention that you got all nails and screws out of it. Reclaimed wood can turn out to be most expensive wood you ever bought.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-05-2016, 05:28 PM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
I don't bother with it. Too risky...bugs, metal etc.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-05-2016, 11:05 PM

View mikeber's Photo Album My Photos
I always loved reclaimed wood. It has special look and unique character.
But I don't understand why it's price is significantly higher than new wood. One reason to reuse something, anything, is to lower the cost.
It's like going to a thrift shop to pay for a used suit more than for a new Armani at Neiman Marcus. Makes no sense.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-06-2016, 02:42 PM

View sancho's Photo Album My Photos
I use it all the time. It does take a bit of prep work , making there are no nails or other thing that can damage your tools you may also have to treat it for woodworms which is no biggie
post #11 of 12 Old 10-06-2016, 09:41 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
I like the look of some of it but its not just the nails, its also all the darn dirt also.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-06-2016, 10:25 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
There is milled wood and all the rest

Lumber from a mill is what is most often used for furniture and cabinets. All the other lumber has had a previous life.

Recycled, re-purposed and reclaimed are similalr but different in some aspects. Shipping pallets are one of the most common sources of recycled wood. There are shipping crates made of much larger and longer sections, actually huge timbers. Repurposed wood is used without changing it's surface, "as is". That would be barnwood or headboards from old furniture and the like. Reclaimed might be the sunken Cypress logs from the Southern swamps. Lumber milled from "picked" logs out of the firewood pile, as I have done with great results. Spalted wood from logs that have fallen along side the road is another source I have used.

You can make beautiful projects with all the above and even add new lumber to the mix with good results. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what works well for one, is not like by another. :frown2: My collection does not include pallet wood, but only because I have many other sources. I like it all. :smile3:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode