reclaimed hdf/mdf board? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 10-16-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

View Mark Burford's Photo Album My Photos
reclaimed hdf/mdf board?

From what I have read on the internet, all wood dust is dangerous to breathe. However, with hdf/mdf, Formaldehyde is an added concern. I also understand about proper use of respirators and proper ventilation of a workshop. I have worked at a landfill before. I have watched truckloads of hdf/mdf furniture (boards still in tact and useable) go to the landfill, crushed and buried.
(1) Can mdf furniture be deconstructed, the screwholes filled in and the boards safely reused?
(2) Is it cost effective?
I am not an avid recyclers but I do try to do what I can when I can. Thanks for the advice on mdf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-16-2016, 02:38 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The health risks of working with wood vary depending on a persons sensitivity and exposure. For the most part the hobbyist isn't going to have any health problems related to breathing dust. It's the person that works wood for a living breathing dust day after day over decades which usually has the problem. There is a thing known as brown lung disease which a person can get from occupational over exposure to things like textiles, grains or wood fibers. Speaking for myself I've been working with wood for more than 40 years and now just beginning to get sensitive to the dust. Throughout my career I never wore any kind of mask for anything except MDF. The dust from it is so fine and dry I found it to be an irritant so wore a paint respirator working it. Still for just recycling a little bit of it I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you were cutting up hundreds of sheets of it like I used to. As far as cost effective only you could figure that. MDF is pretty cheap material. I would be more prone to use a new sheet if I were going to use MDF. Your time is worth something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode