Rebuilding blower motor - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maintenance Man

post #1 of 11 Old 08-01-2020, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Rebuilding blower motor

If you’ve noticed my other posts, I’ve just replaced the blower motor for my AC.

I planned to replace the bearings in the old motor to keep as a spare, but upon taking it apart, I noticed something I wasn’t expecting. Instead of ball bearings, it has what look like bronze bearings with some kind of wadding that I presume was there to hold oil.

Can these be re-built? Where could I buy the wadding? Is it worth doing?

The shaft is mildly scored, so I’d guess that ball bearings would be a better choice if such a thing exists.

And advice to be had?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-01-2020, 09:50 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Blower motors aren't that much for your unit are they?
post #3 of 11 Old 08-01-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
Blower motors aren't that much for your unit are they?
The replacement was about $250. For me it's less about the money than it is about having a spare so Im not waiting for a replacement part to arrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-01-2020, 12:28 PM

View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Those are sleeve bearings, Ive never tried to order them.

What HP is your motor?

Find a buddy local that does HVAC, he can prolly get the same motor for 1/2 that or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave H
post #5 of 11 Old 08-01-2020, 12:56 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I think mine runs 100-150 with the cage
post #6 of 11 Old 08-01-2020, 01:02 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Buy 'em or make 'em ....

They are typically made from thick felt with the proper OD and ID cut with a punch and die. Probably you could come close enough with some leather hole punches or a sharpened thinwall tube donno?
https://www.google.com/search?client...4dUDCAs&uact=5

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 11 Old 08-01-2020, 06:30 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Toss up a picture. You can replace bushings the same way as bearings, though it is a bit more involved of a process since the sizing of a bushing can be a bit more touchy. Problem is the scoring on the shaft, thats not good. How noot good it is depends on how bad the scoring is

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #8 of 11 Old 08-01-2020, 08:05 PM

View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
The bearings themselves are either brass or bronze. The oil wicking material would be cotton or some synthetic similar material.

I know that Menards has some brass bushing type bearings Ive used for other things, but I doubt for this purpose.

I personally do not think its worth rebuilding your motor. Its very replaceable.

Toss up a picture of the internals, you may be able to retrofit to ball bearings.

I assume its a direct drive motor.

Dave H
post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-2020, 09:06 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Broze bushings and scoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefighter15 View Post
The bearings themselves are either brass or bronze. The oil wicking material would be cotton or some synthetic similar material.

I know that Menards has some brass bushing type bearings Ive used for other things, but I doubt for this purpose.

I personally do not think its worth rebuilding your motor. Its very replaceable.

Toss up a picture of the internals, you may be able to retrofit to ball bearings.

I assume its a direct drive motor.

I like the idea of trying to restore it! It's cheap enough to attempt a repair. You would need to minimize the scoring using some 600 grit wet/dry backed with some tape to avoid tearing it. Using a shoe shine motion go around the place where it's scored and you soon see how smooth it gets. Then switch to the 800 grit or 1000 grit for the finish.
As to the bushings, they will be standard sizes, ID and OD. Using a digital caliper measure as best you can both the ID and OD and write those numbers down when you get to the online site or the bushing store you'll know what to ask for. Length doesn't matter that much, as you can saw and file to length. A lathe would be great or a drill press with an arbor you can hold them on.
The felt oil wipers are a no brainer. Just get them close to size, they will expand a bit if needed to slip them onto the shaft. Use a 30 wt oil for lube. I don't think there will be a large enough ID on the motor housing to fit a ball bearing in, but check that measurement with your caliper. It will be virtually the same as the OD of your
bushings.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-01-2020 at 09:12 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-02-2020, 08:51 AM

View Maintenance Man's Photo Album My Photos
My local hardware store carries various bronze sleeve bearings, but I wouldn't mess with it if it were me. Especially if the shaft is scored badly. I'd bet you can find another replacement motor for a lot less than $250.
furnacefighter15 likes this.

A handful of patience is worth a bushel of brains...
post #11 of 11 Old 08-02-2020, 12:22 PM

View OldDon's Photo Album My Photos
You can polish the shaft to near mirror finish with crocus cloth after removing the scoring with other methods.

Craftsman 113.29992 Table saw, Craftsman 10" band saw, H. F. 10" drill press, MicroLux 7"x16" lathe, Dewalt 734 planer & Craftsman 6 1/8" jointer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode