Re-staining a darker color? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 07-20-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

View Microscopes's Photo Album My Photos
Re-staining a darker color?

I stained some pine earlier today and the color was a bit too red.

Would re-staining it a darker color result in any issues, considering the first stain was only done this morning?

If it is OK, should I re-apply wood conditioner before adding the new staining?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-20-2018, 08:49 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microscopes View Post
I stained some pine earlier today and the color was a bit too red.

Would re-staining it a darker color result in any issues, considering the first stain was only done this morning?

If it is OK, should I re-apply wood conditioner before adding the new staining?
Once you stain wood that's it, you shouldn't stain it again. What you can do is use a dye to alter the color. You can use a dark dye stain if you need the stain darker but if you are trying to subdue the red use a green dye. Just be careful with dyes. A little goes a long way and you can just keep applying dye until you get the color you want but if you get too much on it's difficult to undo it. A dye is more similar to ink so it's pretty permanent. I use this dye. To counteract red mix a green dye a little lighter than lime coolaid. I use this dye. https://ardec.ca/en/p/27/ultra-penetrating-stain

A wood conditioner is a sealer. Pine wood has soft and hard places in it and if you stain it without the conditioner the soft places will stain darker making the stain job blotchy. Therefore you use a thin sealer on it such as the wood conditioner to even up the wood so it stains more uniform. The byproduct is it makes the wood more difficult to get dark. This is a classic reason to use a dye to supplement the color.

Just keep in mind that dyes are something that is better sprayed then wiped on with a rag or brush.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-20-2018, 08:51 PM

View t.carpenter00's Photo Album My Photos
I have done that and it worked fine--with the same brand of stain. I don't think more conditioner is necessary. But, I'm really not a stain guy. I'm sure there are some caveats to this subject. But the one time I did it - on a door, it worked just fine for me.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode