A re-gluing question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 02-08-2010, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
A re-gluing question

Iím building a cabinet and I was gluing in some 1x2 pieces. It was too tight to get my air gun inside to toenail it and I didnít want to take the chance of a nail coming out the back. I glued them into place with weights as clamp pressure and I was going to nail it from behind after I was able to turn the piece around.

After about 30 min into it, I then noticed that one of the pieces wasnít square and I tried to adjust it. It was only off about 1/8Ē, but I had a bad feeling about it afterward. And sure enough when I moved it this morning the piece just fell out before I could nail it. It was in a tight spot so I just added more glue and put the weights back on.

My question is am I going to have problems with this? Iíve always been told to sand off the old glue before gluing it again.

I wish now that I would have taken I little more time and cut a dado or something beforehand. I was in a hurry and didnít think it was too critical.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
If the old glued surfaces have dried glue on the mating faces, new glue will likely not hold. Yellow, and white glues like porous surfaces. Too much maintenance to clean up the existing pieces may change the fit. In lieu of yellow glue, you could use a two part epoxy.

If the mating parts have slight gaps, the epoxy can get you out of a jam. If you go to re-use the existing parts, make sure that the fit isn't larger, or will cause a skew due to dried glue.

So, what was your lesson...take the time to do it right?

post #3 of 4 Old 02-08-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Thatís what I was afraid of. It seems to be holding, but I donít want force it. I hate to use that epoxy stuff, itís so messy. Iím thinking about putting a wood screw through the back, only if I do that, Iíll have to do all six and plug them so that it will look right.
Last year I use some yellow glue to hold some wood pieces on my Christmas display. I just used the glue by itself and when I tried to pull it off this year to make changes, the grain in the wood itself ripped out and not the glue so I figured it would work.

JohnnyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-08-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Iíve been thinking about this and Iíve decided to rip it all out and add an extra piece in the back precut for dovetails and replace the pieces removed with dovetails. I should have done it this way in the beginning.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode