RAS safety guide 69' Craftsman - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

View angelodp's Photo Album My Photos
RAS safety guide 69' Craftsman

Hi, new to the forum and been looking around a bit. Great site. I am trying to get some advice and plans for an add on safety guide for my 10" RAS. Its a Craftsman in good shape. I saw some versions made with plexi or lexan. Any advice or help in creating this safety guide would be much appreciated.

best ange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-02-2012, 05:36 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
what you saw do you have?

This thread covers it:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/ne...sman-ras-9384/

A simple "guard" not guide, can be made from clear Lexan like this, but you need 2 pivot points in the upper guard housing. If you are missing the entire guard, that will be a bigger issue.
Some experimentation will be necessary to get it to work so I used Masonite for the mock up. The 12" guard, lower 2 photos is where I got my idea. It has covers on both side of the blade, where the one I made only covers the outer side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1036.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	39892  

Name:	100_1037.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	39893  

Name:	100_1039.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	39894  

Name:	100_1033.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	39895  

Name:	100_1034.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	39896  

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 03-02-2012 at 05:49 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Your saw may be eligible for the recall. Here is some info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a cool dust collector

Dust is a big problem on RAS since it's all spit rearward and hard to collect, but this one works great!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 7 Old 03-03-2012, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

View angelodp's Photo Album My Photos
Ok

Great thanks for the photos. Did you drill the two connection points on the shroud? I do have a cover shroud for the saw.

I have the original manual and have been going over safety issues. Can You list the top concerns with this type saw.

I have heard that a bungee cord can be used on this type saw for recoil? Is this a proven method? Is is safe.

best A

Last edited by angelodp; 03-03-2012 at 02:11 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-2013, 11:34 AM

View UPNORTFAN's Photo Album My Photos
Good Morning. Back again with the RAS Blade Guard issue and how I have coped with it. Tried the 2-piece type (biggest thing with the models I made were the up and over the vert piece of wood guide where the blade goes through.) Because I mostly use in one position, I decided to use only one piece of Lexan. (No photos) Attached the Lexan to the 2 places as usually shown and only 2 holes in the Lexan for a rigid attachment --Made the piece so that it was about 1/2 inch above the table when blade is lowest position. To allow for moving through the entire cut I made a slot in the vert board to accommodate the Lexan as it was pulled through as the blade was cutting. This has worked well for me as you note the Lexan in all guards are about 1 inch away from the blade at all times horizontally. A simple red paint on the table helps me remember the danger area especially as I raise the height of the cut. DISCOVERING I NEEDED A MOD, AM NOW WORKING ON SAME TYPE OF LEXAN AND SIZE BUT MAKING A SLOT AT BOTH ENDS TO FIT THE SCREWS AND USING A WING NUT TO BE ABLE TO ADJUST VETICALLY. WORK IN PROGRESS. Reason for one piece was curve to make 2 piece rise and fall easily (with my tools) and the one piece type seems to fit my tools. Thanks for reading would appreciate comments as I keep working on guard. Oh I forgot to mention I have a Sears 100 RAS.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelodp View Post

I have heard that a bungee cord can be used on this type saw for recoil? Is this a proven method? Is is safe.

best A
No, a bungee cord will not work, and isn't safe. A safety recoil (return spring) is progressive, and provides smooth movement. You could set up two double pulleys and a 5 lb free weight behind the arm. That would provide a graduated return.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode