Rabbeting bit set - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 10-12-2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

View bigarm's Photo Album My Photos
Rabbeting bit set

I need a rabbeting bit and thought probably the best bang for my buck would be one that has different bearings for different sizes. At this time I am building a medicine cabinet and need to cut a rabbet to set in a mirror or glass in the door. I don't know much about router bits. I believe my router (Skil 1830) can take 1/2" bits. This is one set I found with free shipping: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product...rabbeting-bits
Rockler has a set as I am sure others also. What do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-13-2015, 01:04 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like you're new to routers in general... I'm nor aware of any "rabbeting" sets because rabbets cuts can be cut with thin bits (requiring multi pass cuts) or thick bits.

If you are new to routers - do yourself a big favor and purchase a multi-bit set in the $100 price range. As you learn to use your router, you will notice certain bits are used more often and some you may never use. As you replace the more used bits, replace those with the more expensive and better quality bits.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-13-2015, 01:15 AM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarm View Post
I need a rabbeting bit and thought probably the best bang for my buck would be one that has different bearings for different sizes. At this time I am building a medicine cabinet and need to cut a rabbet to set in a mirror or glass in the door. I don't know much about router bits. I believe my router (Skil 1830) can take 1/2" bits. This is one set I found with free shipping: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product...rabbeting-bits
I have a similar set purchased from Woodcraft (Freud or Whiteside, can't recall). Makes it easy to set up for different rabbets, yet use only one cutter.

Sometimes I cut them hand held, other times I mount the cutter in the router table.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-13-2015, 02:02 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
That set seems pretty bloody good to me. Whiteside is a fairly well regarded brand from what ive heard, and that price it pretty good, its actually on par with a rabbet set from MLCS, a much more... budget friendly brand. Id go for it if i were you.

Also, good job realizing that you should go with the thicker shank bits. Too many people, myself included, underestimate the extra stability that comes from having a 1/2 over 1/4 shank at first

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 10 Old 10-13-2015, 05:51 AM

View GeneT's Photo Album My Photos
IMHO I would jump on that Whiteside set. It's easily worth double that price. They are high quality bits made in the USA by a family run company. Also as Epicfall pointed out it's usually best to get 1/2" shank bits and Whiteside charges the same price regardless of the shank size.

Last edited by GeneT; 10-13-2015 at 05:57 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-13-2015, 10:18 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Great advice from all previous posts! Which ever top brand router bits you buy, practice, practice, practice BEFORE you do that final cut! Best to have IMO a router that accepts both 1/4" & 1/2" bits, as some profiles are not always available in both shanks. Be safe.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-13-2015, 12:13 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Bigarm,
A 3/8" rabbeting bit with a bearing is very useful. I normally use only a 1/4" shank, but that doesn't matter. Cheap high speed steel will do the job, but a good carbide tipped cutter is best.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-13-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

View bigarm's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the Whiteside set. While I am not brand new to routers, I have used them a little, but I am pretty inexperienced with them.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-14-2015, 01:49 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I have used them a little, but I am pretty inexperienced with them.
So is everybody else, dont feel bad about that

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #10 of 10 Old 10-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Rough Sawn Lumber

View EWerner's Photo Album My Photos
When making rabbets with a router take small bites until you get to your final depth. I use a plunge router and make three passes. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode