7Likes
  • 1 Post By allpurpose
  • 2 Post By difalkner
  • 3 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By Lennyzx11

post #1 of 5 Old 09-16-2020, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Quick way to find board feet

Sometimes you may need to know just how many board feet a particular board is or how many you'll need . Not every board is going to be 1" thick by 12" wide. Suppose it's 7 1/2"x 3/4" x 5 feet long.. Quite a problem, huh?
No. It's really easy. Multiply board length in feet, 5 in this case by 7.5, width then divide by 12. This doesn't help with thickness, but for nominal measurements it's close enough since with thickness they just round up or down to the nearest inch. That 3/4" is represented by 1". This makes things confusing especially if the thickness is less than 1/2". You really can't have a board 0" thick. It's nothing at this point.
Someone explain that one, eh? I can't, but anything over a 1/2" is easy peasy.. Actually I can, but I just don't have the words to explain it.. 1/4" x 7.5 x 5 feet.. hmmmm.. lol
difalkner likes this.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-16-2020, 10:55 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
The measurement of thickness is considered to have started as a 4/4 board in the rough, so if the dimensioned board is 3/4" somebody has to pay for the extra 1/4" that was planed off; that's the customer. That's why thickness is considered to be 1" (4/4). If the dimensioned board is 1/2" but was planed down from a 4/4 board then you would still use 1" for calculations, unless you find a sawmill or supplier willing to throw money away.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 5 Old 09-16-2020, 11:41 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I measure inches x inches x inches (height x width x thickness). Multiply them together and divide by 144. The result is board-feet.

The other important "trick" is to remember to increase the thickness appropriately to compensate for machining losses. If the board is 3/4 inch thick, then treat it as 1 inch thick in your calculation. If 1 inch thick, treat it as 1-1/4. It depends on how the board was surfaced before you bought it. If you aren't sure, add 1/4 inch and you will be close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-17-2020, 12:04 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
It all depends upon WHERE you are doing the calculation. If you are in math class, your method is correct. If you are in the lumber yard the calculation would be:

2/3 x 5 = 3-1/3 which would be rounded up to 3-1/2 if you were a good customer. (8 inches is 2/3 of a foot) If you are just that guy from the next county trying to score some cheap timber it would be 4. Some, but not all, lumber yards will allow the fractional board feet to accumulate and add to the total rather than rounding up each piece of timber.

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY
post #5 of 5 Old 09-18-2020, 07:04 AM

View Lennyzx11's Photo Album My Photos
You can use the Essex board feet table on a framing square for “pretty close” estimates.

https://images.app.goo.gl/1UadnQWhi43mBVWG6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gmercer_48083 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode