Quick epoxy question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 10-06-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

View rookiewoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Quick epoxy question

Recently filled some large holes in an old board with epoxy. All of them turned out great As the epoxy dried except for one. It doesn't feel like the epoxy dried as hard as the others, it still feels sticky to the touch and it moveable slightly after it sitting for 4 days. Maybe I didn't mix enough hardener in the mix for that one.

So what do I do now? Mix a little more and put on top? Dig it out and start over??

Thanks for help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Hunter

View Hunter's Photo Album My Photos
I have only done this a few times and haven't ever had this problem, but I think that I would try to redo it. It should be cured after 4 days.

Hunter
post #3 of 7 Old 10-07-2015, 02:16 PM

View Barong02's Photo Album My Photos
Yep, try getting whatever epoxy that's already in there out without creating a huge mess. Redo it and double check the hardner ratio. Another way to accelerate the process is to use a hair dryer or heat gun to speed up the reaction, but make sure not to blow the epoxy everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-07-2015, 06:40 PM

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
A heat gun shouldn't affect the hardening of an epoxy, in fact it might adversely affect it if you evaporate solvents that are there for the curing process.

Try cleaning the sticky epoxy with whatever the product recommends for cleaning up uncured extra.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-07-2015, 08:33 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I think it will be important to get all of the uncured epoxy out. If it's really uncured, acetone should dissolve it. If you've never used acetone, pay careful attention to the warnings.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-07-2015, 10:02 PM

View tewitt1949's Photo Album My Photos
If you put a heat gun on the epoxy it will scrape out real easy. Maybe even small wire brush will.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-09-2015, 12:40 PM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
Almost definitely a mixing issue. Make sure you're using the 2-cup method where you actually transfer to a 2nd container for a 2nd mix. Epoxy absolutely has to be mixed perfectly to work right.

I agree with tewitt1949. I've had to clean up messes like this before and heat and peel and scrape is not a bad as it sounds. I'd get most of it out and follow with an acetone cleanup like Quickstep said.

Heat is usually used to clear up the little bubbles that happen sometimes. It just raises them to the surface and they pop. It shouldn't effect the cure either way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode