Question on Selecting the Right Color Wood for a Project - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Question on Selecting the Right Color Wood for a Project

Hi All,

Since it's Christmas project time, I am planning on building a wall clock for some friends that live part of the time in New Mexico and are into the Southwest thing. I was planning on using the New Mexico State flag symbol for the base of the design, and put the clock mechanism/hands in the center. (See pic).

I would like to use contrasting wood. I was thinking of simply using white oak for the middle round 'sun' part (maybe with a yellowish stain) but haven't decided what wood to use for the projecting 'rays'. Just using red oak wood be easy, but I'm sure there are other options for a good yellow/red contrast without getting too expensive. There are a couple of lumber stores in the area that have less common woods.

What would you suggest?

Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Sound like it will be a nice project.

If you want to use wood with its natural colour the background can be yellowheart and the rays can be either bloodwood or bubinga.

The lightest red is padauk but it darkens quickly.

If you are going to dye or stain, then you could use ash for both.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM

View Dave66's Photo Album My Photos
Unless this is intended to be a surprise, you might want to let them tell you what colors they would prefer. Some folks are pretty fussy about how things go together in their homes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 11:46 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Yellowheart and bloodwood would be my woods of choice for that project. Both are great to work with and will show really well. You'll have to be careful sanding the two together though, as the bloodwood can sometimes stain the yellowheart. I have a thread that has some pics showing the two woods together: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/a...s-chest-30864/
post #5 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, guys. the bloodwood and yellowheart look like good ideas. I'll have to check availability around here.

Frank: I looked at your pictures and I like the nice contrast between the woods.

Dave: I've been in both of their homes and they mostly like light to medium woods plus have some distressed/painted Mexican furniture. I've made pieces for them before in white oak and pine and they were pleased.

Bill

Edit: I looked up the web page of an exotic wood dealer in the area: http://www.willardbrothers.net/DimensionalLumber.php They have bloodwood but I couldn't find yellowheart. Then I realized that they had it listed under Pau Amarello.

Last edited by dodgeboy77; 12-06-2012 at 11:08 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

An Update

I wanted to let you guys know that I designed and built the clock and used the suggested Bloodwood and Yellow Heart. Both were nice woods to work with and gave me the colors I wanted. Thanks for the advice!

Here's a couple pictures. They don't really capture the vividness of the woods' color but they give you the idea of how they work together and match the original sun symbol. Both woods have an attractive iridescence to them when the light hits them from the right direction. I used no stain; just Minwax spray satin polyurethane which will hopefully help keep the Bloodwood from darkening as it ages. The total height/width of the clock is 25" and the diameter of the round ring around the clock face is 8-1/2". The Seiko movement and hands came from Klockit.

I plan to give this present to my friends tomorrow. I like the way it came out so much I might build one for myself now!

Bill
post #7 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 AM

View Duncancruiser's Photo Album My Photos
Awesome work. That clock looks amazing. Musta taken a bit of time to build.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 AM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like a great project. I'm sure the recipients were quite happy with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode