Question on Miter saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 26 Old 08-05-2020, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

View onesourceusa@gmail.c's Photo Album My Photos
Question Question on Miter saw

I am new to this hobby. Should I buy a sliding or compound miter saw if I am also buying a table saw. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-05-2020, 11:46 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
welcome to the forum, what part of the world are you in ?
what kind of projects do you think you will be making the most ?
my suggestion is always to buy the big ticket items as you need them.
not on impulse.

B Coll likes this.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 08-05-2020 at 11:50 AM.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-05-2020, 01:44 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
well, my Bosch slider is also compound. Which I like.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 08-05-2020, 02:00 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
It depends on a lot of things. Room,need, projects you build, etc.

Only you know...Anybody here will be glad to spend your money..Again....it all depends
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelwork For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (08-06-2020)
post #5 of 26 Old 08-05-2020, 02:14 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
@John Smith_inFL is right. What project do you want to build first? Buy the tool(s) that you need for it first.

Rip cuts make a long board thinner. Crosscuts make a long board shorter. Table saws excel at rip cuts and are also used to make crosscuts. Miter saws are faster and more convenient for crosscuts (especially at angles other than 90 degrees). Miter saws cannot make rip cuts.

Most woodworkers start with a table saw.

A different choice for a first woodworking power tool might be a bandsaw. Bandsaws offer a lot of capability and versatility. Many woodworkers recommend them as a first woodworking tool.

Finally, you can do a lot with hand power tools that you may already own, like a circular saw and a drill. You may want to try a project or two with them first, before graduating to stationary power tools.

(Long before I met my spouse, I had a shop in my garage with a radial arm saw, jointer, bandsaw, drill press, and more. I gave them all up when I moved. I got by with hand power tools for a very long time before buying stationary tools again.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Tool Agnostic For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 26 Old 08-05-2020, 04:08 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Search for "sliding miter saw" ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am new to this hobby. Should I buy a sliding or compound miter saw if I am also buying a table saw. Thanks!
Yes.
A sliding compound miter saw will give you more crosscut capacity than any other type of saw. Buy once, cry once, be done.
I don't know if there a sliding miter saw that is not also "compound" or able to bevel as well:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=sliding+miter+saw

Crosscutting on a tablesaw has it's limitations. The longer and heavier the board, the more difficult it is to keep it from moving while you are making the cuts making them less accurate. The miter saws solve that problem by moving the saw, not the wood which is held firmly against the fence.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-05-2020 at 06:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 26 Old 08-05-2020, 04:21 PM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
If I needed to replace my miter saw I would replace it with a sliding miter saw.
I also agree with John. My shop was built one tool at a time as I needed them.
B Coll likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pretender For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 26 Old 08-05-2020, 05:16 PM

View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
In my oppinion, it really depends on what materials you will be cutting.

A sliding mitre saw is great, but they are much bigger then there non sliding counterpart, and also much more expensive.

So if space and cost is not an issue, then go for the slider, but make sure its big enough for the height of work you expect it to do.

If you never do large crown molding, but will do alot of 2x10 construction lumber, then a 10" sliding saw would be fine, but if you need both, then a 12" slider would be needed.

If you will do some crown, but only need to cut up to 2x8 lumber, then a 12" non sliding mitre saw would likely fit the bill.

If your not exactly sure, then wait till you are, cause these saws are readily available.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
The Following User Says Thank You to furnacefighter15 For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 26 Old 08-05-2020, 10:04 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
just remember - the bigger the saw, the more it weighs when you need to move it. (same with tool chests, but those can be emptied out, and the drawers removed))

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
The Following User Says Thank You to kiwi_outdoors For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 12:46 AM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Wait on buying a miter saw until you discover the limitations on what you can do with your table saw. THEN decide if you need the extra depth capacity for crosscuts to make your final decision. Often times, that money is better saved or spent on a different tool/piece of equipment for your particular workshop.
DrRobert and NoThankyou like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Echo415 For This Useful Post:
post #11 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post
welcome to the forum, what part of the world are you in ?
what kind of projects do you think you will be making the most ?
my suggestion is always to buy the big ticket items as you need them.
not on impulse.

Thanks for your reply. Here is the scenario. I bought a 12" DeWalt miter saw with sliding for $399 and I bought 12" Dewalt without sliding for $389 with Dewalt heavy duty miter saw stand. And I bought both I did not open either yet. I am thinking about returning sliding one as I will have a table saw and I already purchased a circular saw as well. Your thoughts please!
post #12 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Here is the scenario. I bought a 12" DeWalt miter saw with sliding for $399 and I bought 12" Dewalt without sliding for $389 with Dewalt heavy duty miter saw stand. And I bought both I did not open either yet. I am thinking about returning sliding one as I will have a table saw and I already purchased a circular saw as well. Your thoughts please!
post #13 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

I live in Atlanta metro area. Mostly for D.I.Y. My first project will be workbench and starting with easy beginner stuff first. Here is the scenario. I bought a 12" DeWalt miter saw with sliding for $399 and I bought 12" Dewalt without sliding for $389 with Dewalt heavy duty miter saw stand. And I bought both I did not open either yet. I am thinking about returning sliding one as I will have a table saw and I already purchased a circular saw as well. Your thoughts please!
post #14 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 09:13 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Tough call .....

Sliding is usually better because of greater width capacity. Stand is good if left set up and you have the space. Price is the same. Non-sliding has less parts to wear out and go wrong and typically is more accurate.
Look up the model numbers on Amazon and read reviews for each. Probably can't go wrong with either one. I have an older sliding 12" Dewalt 708, the king of miter saws at the time. I don't make many miters, so my 12" radial arm saw is my go to for a lot of 90 degree crosscuts. For small stuff I use a miter gauge with and extended fence:

Return both.....?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (08-07-2020)
post #15 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 09:16 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
If space is not a problem, I would keep the sliding one. It has much better cutting capacity. For essentially the same price you get more in the sliding.

George
NoThankyou likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
post #16 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 09:20 AM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me, I'd keep the slider.
I just noticed your in Duluth. Hello neighbor!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pretender For This Useful Post:
post #17 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I live in Atlanta metro area. Mostly for D.I.Y. My first project will be workbench and starting with easy beginner stuff first. Here is the scenario. I bought a 12" DeWalt miter saw with sliding for $399 and I bought 12" Dewalt without sliding for $389 with Dewalt heavy duty miter saw stand. And I bought both I did not open either yet. I am thinking about returning sliding one as I will have a table saw and I already purchased a circular saw as well. Your thoughts please!
Each situation is different. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa. Nobody wants to waste money, but some people have more financial constraints than others, which may factor into yes/no purchase decisions. Another factor is space for your tools.

It isn't only about the big power tools. You may also want smaller power tools like a drill/driver, a jigsaw, or a random orbital sander. You will need some kind of dust collection. (I get by with a shop vac.) You will also need marking/measuring tools (like a combination square), clamps, chisels, and many other accessories. You will need consumables like glue, sandpaper, and more. Safety equipment is critically important - dust masks, eye protection, and hearing protection. You need good lighting. All those costs add up.

Don't forget storage, organization, and working conditions. You need a place to keep everything where you can find them. You need sufficient shop space and good lighting to work with your tools. Tools take up space, but they also need additional space around the tools to use them.

Responding to Your Direct Questions:

I am not you. If you were my neighbor and friend who was definitely getting a table saw and has a circular saw, I would advise you:

Return the miter saws, and see what you can do with the table saw and circular saw. The more you do with less, the more you will know about which tools you will really need and what features you really want in the next tool. By then, you will have a much better idea of which miter saw you will want and why. Use the refund money for all the other things I described above.

If you are going to keep a miter saw no matter what, then I would advise you:

The one thing that the 12 inch miter saws can do over the table and circular saws is crosscutting a 4x4 in one pass. You can cut a 4x4 with a table saw or circular saw in two passes, but it takes more time to set it up for safe cuts, and getting a perfect clean cut is more difficult.

If it were me, I would choose the sliding miter saw, based on my experience with my spouse's non-sliding 10 inch miter saw. I flip boards to get wider cuts (not recommended for safety reasons), and perfect alignment is difficult.
post #18 of 26 Old 08-06-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
If space is not a problem, I would keep the sliding one. It has much better cutting capacity. For essentially the same price you get more in the sliding. George
I agree with the recommendation (see my post above), but the sliding miter saw does not include the stand. That's why the prices are close to each other.
post #19 of 26 Old 08-07-2020, 12:00 AM

View Nick2727's Photo Album My Photos
Are you planning buying a contractor saw, or jobsite table saw.

Honestly if it was me, I'd be tempted return both miter saws for table saw accessories. Miter gauge, cross cut sled, straight line rip jig etc.. feather boards, splitters...

If you have a circular saw already, with a straight edge, that could fill in where the table saw lacks.

It really depends on what your gunna be making though.

You can also grab cheap one on craigslist/ the local equivalent to try out in the mean time as well. Nothing wrong with a good used tool!

Nick Johnston
Edmonton, AB, Canada
post #20 of 26 Old 08-07-2020, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I will do that. And yes I purchased everything you mentioned above. Again thanks for great info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode