Question-Maintenance of wooden shutters. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-30-2014, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

View iyrie936's Photo Album My Photos
Question-Maintenance of wooden shutters.

We are considering replacing our wood windows and shutters, some of which are taking too much annual maintenance time? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-30-2014, 09:00 AM

View raima369's Photo Album My Photos
re wooden shutters maintenance

I've had a chance to review our decision last year to install wooden shutters (approx 2.5 cm thick) and treat them with teak oil (brand name "Teak Wonder") rather than paint them. Do it twice a year.
For information you can check-http://thewindowoutfitters.com/
Wood Shutters bring warmth, enduring beauty and richness to any room and can be defined as furniture for your windows. They are great from the outside as they do inside your home.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-30-2014, 09:42 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by iyrie936 View Post
We are considering replacing our wood windows and shutters, some of which are taking too much annual maintenance time? Any suggestions?
Any wood windows and shutters are going to take a lot of maintenance. You could spend more money on better finishes but it would still take a lot of work to keep up. Really if the time for maintenance is the issue I would go with metal windows and synthetic shutters.

If you choose to continue with wood then for paint I would use Duration from Sherwin Williams and if it's a clear finish use Epifanes spar varnish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-30-2014, 11:59 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Replacement windows are a huge business. There are a couple different types. Replacement windows are made specifically for your existing openings. Your old sash get removed and replaced. In most cases, no additional work is needed for interior and exterior trim, it doesn't get touched. The most common replacement windows are for double hung style windows. You didn't say what type of windows you have.

The most common and inexpensive replacements are vinyl. Normally, there are local companies that make these type of replacements. They'll come out and measure your existing windows. Larger window manufacturers also make replacement windows and you can get wood sash if you prefer and in numerous "looks". Companies like Anderson, Marvin, etc. offer replacements, custom made for your house.

Completely replacing your windows will involve a lot of work since interior and exterior trim, along with the entire window and frame get taken out. This is the most expensive and time consuming way to go. New windows may not fit the exiting framing and you are often looking at a complete house paint job, in and out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode