Question About Pine Table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 12-12-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

View jenybenny's Photo Album My Photos
Question About Pine Table

Hi,

I don't really know a lot about wood working but I received as a gift an antique pine harvest table. I understand that pine really isn't the ideal table surface, but I like the history of the table and want to use it in my kitchen. However, the two base pieces of the harvest table have been damaged by a dog, I think, and I wanted to replace them. They are 4x4 pine posts.

I was just going to go the hardware store and buy some, but then I read online that wood from the hardware store often isn't dry enough for use in furniture. Not sure what to do from here... any advice?

I live in southern Canada, I don't know if that matters. We heat with wood in the winter so my home can get dry, but in the summer we don't use the A/C unless absolutely necessary so it can definitely be more humid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-12-2015, 11:28 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have a Windsor Plywood store in your area, if they don't have what you want in stock they can possibly find it for you.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #3 of 12 Old 12-12-2015, 12:03 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Question:
Can you find out if the bases are 1-piece pine or are they glue-ups of several pieces?

Kiln-dried spruce/fir/pine in Canada comes out with a Moisture Content of about 24%. Air-dried, outdoors under cover, you can expect an Equilibrium MC of 12 - 14%. Inside a Canadian house in winter, that can sink as low as 4-6%.

Rule-of thumb here is drying rates of about 1" of thickness per year. And, you're running the risk of wood cracking, it happens. Suppose you bought some 6x6 (could be green as grass, too), that will dry from all surfaces in about 3 years. Paint the ends, lay it on some little sticks on the basement floor under your work bench and wait and hope.

I'd be concerned also that the drying rate in 4x4 will be so fast with so much drying stress that you won't stop the cracking at all.

Other options:
Any building demolition near you that might yield some big timbers? Any temporary wooden bridge decks being retired? Might you find some really horrible junk furniture that you can salvage the needed wood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I'd look for a good lumber yard near you, the kind that sells hardwoods. Generally most also carry some of the more popular softwoods, like pine, and wood from a hardwood store is also usually already dried tothe correct moisture content

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 12 Old 12-12-2015, 03:32 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenybenny View Post
Hi,

I don't really know a lot about wood working but I received as a gift an antique pine harvest table. I understand that pine really isn't the ideal table surface, but I like the history of the table and want to use it in my kitchen. However, the two base pieces of the harvest table have been damaged by a dog, I think, and I wanted to replace them. They are 4x4 pine posts.

I was just going to go the hardware store and buy some, but then I read online that wood from the hardware store often isn't dry enough for use in furniture. Not sure what to do from here... any advice?

I live in southern Canada, I don't know if that matters. We heat with wood in the winter so my home can get dry, but in the summer we don't use the A/C unless absolutely necessary so it can definitely be more humid.
Would I be correct in assuming that "the two base pieces" are not legs, as you would probably have 4 legs. Just what are "base pieces?"

George
post #6 of 12 Old 12-12-2015, 05:48 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Can you post a picture. Perhaps we can come up with an alternative to replacing the posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-13-2015, 06:28 AM

View sancho's Photo Album My Photos
What Steve said. If it's a old table it's best to restore / repair if possible. At least IMO
post #8 of 12 Old 12-13-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help so far.

So, no they aren't the legs... The table has a similar structure to this table, and it is the very bottom horizontal pieces at each end that have been damaged. They are definitely posts, because the the ends of each post are exposed like so, so I can see that they are solid pieces.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-13-2015, 05:13 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
There's little demand for 4x4 & bigger from furniture makers. Consequently, the industrial applications, such as bridge decks, don't need dried wood for outdoor, unfinished service.
The local builder of temporary logging bridge decks uses 12" x 12" and smaller.

One place to look could be wood suppliers that cater to wood carvers and custom wood builders that need exposed beams in interiors. Windsor Plywood has maybe 100 species in stock. Very large pieces of yellow cedar for carvers (12" x 16" x 72" & bigger) but at $6.99/bft, they are big bucks. Only other place that I can name is Westwind Hardwoods. I know they have cedar, etc for carvers.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-14-2015, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Hi, I wrote a response yesterday that linked to some pictures but it said it needed to be approved first. Is there a way to get it approved faster?
post #11 of 12 Old 12-14-2015, 07:49 AM
Administrator

View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Hi, I wrote a response yesterday that linked to some pictures but it said it needed to be approved first. Is there a way to get it approved faster?
Fixed.

"Show respect even to people who donít deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours."
post #12 of 12 Old 12-14-2015, 07:52 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I will look into your problem posting pictures. You might try uploading the pictures directly from your phone or computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Posting pictures.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	201066  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode