Question About Mineral Oil Finishing - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

View Nick90Spartan's Photo Album My Photos
Question About Mineral Oil Finishing

Hello everyone!

I'm a new member to this forum. I've had a problem that I haven't been able to come up with a good solution for yet.

I make a lot of parts on the CNC. Most of these parts are essentially 3/4" plywood sheets with various pockets machined out of them.

I need to use a food-safe finish for these parts. I have been using a mineral oil/bee's wax mixture that looks nice.

Here's the issue:
The finishing part of the process is very labor intensive. It takes a lot of work to apply oil to all of the surfaces and inside pockets, etc.

I need to use a paint brush to get into all of the nooks and crannies. On top of that, it takes equally as long to remove every bit of the excess oil.

My question:
Is there a better method for this type of job? Or, is there a drying oil that would get rid of the need to spend time removing every last bit of mineral oil on the parts?

Thank you for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 03:14 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
When it comes to food-safe finishes you're pretty limited. Mineral oil is one, beeswax another, and shellac is the only other one I know of.

Why does it need to be a food safe finish though? I doubt the plywood is food safe to begin with...

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

It's a bamboo plywood. I've been told by the manufacturer that it's food-safe. I would hope that they're being truthful with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 04:14 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick90Spartan View Post
It's a bamboo plywood. I've been told by the manufacturer that it's food-safe. I would hope that they're being truthful with me.
What are the items? Do you have pictures?

Since the mid 1970's all finishes sold in the US are required to be non-toxic when fully cured.

Howie..........
post #5 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 04:57 PM

View woodbadger's Photo Album My Photos
Here is an article by Bob Flexnerhttp://www.woodcentral.com/articles/finishing/articles_497a.shtml On that subject
post #6 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 08:25 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
I wouldn't imagine that the manufacturer would lie about that, I just thought you were using garden variety plywood from the local home center.

Does bamboo even need to be finished? I thought it was pretty everything-proof as is

I need cheaper hobby
post #7 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

The finish is almost entirely for looks. Makes the wood much darker and much more attractive. It also provides a visual contrast for the pockets with grain going the opposite direction.

I would like to keep the food-safe designation mainly for marketing purposes.

I guess the main question was if anyone has experience with this type of finishing process. It's taking me far too long per part.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-19-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardAcheson View Post
What are the items? Do you have pictures?

Since the mid 1970's all finishes sold in the US are required to be non-toxic when fully cured.
I own a small company that makes smoking accessories.

I have read that before (about all finishes being non-toxic when cured.) Something other than mineral oil may be more appropriate. I should have already tested out several more.

Ideally, customers would be able to clean/refinish products themselves (with a kit) to remove scratches and plant residue. That's one of the reasons I wanted to stick with mineral oil. That may not be the best route to take though.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-20-2016, 02:50 AM
Village Idiot

Quote:
The finish is almost entirely for looks. Makes the wood much darker and much more attractive. It also provides a visual contrast for the pockets with grain going the opposite direction.

I would like to keep the food-safe designation mainly for marketing purposes.

I guess the main question was if anyone has experience with this type of finishing process. It's taking me far too long per part.
Unless people are eating off it i wouldnt stress about keeping it food-safe. Sure, it looks good on the marketing stuff, but id wager most people are looking at it and thinking "why the merry devil does a step stool need to be food safe?". In this scenario youre making step-stools, i still have no idea what youre actually making.

Anyway, id look into spraying shellac. Its food safe, easy to apply and looks good. Alternately, you could try spraying on the mineral oil instead if brushing. Youd still have to wipe off the excess, but the application would be quicker

I need cheaper hobby
post #10 of 16 Old 02-20-2016, 04:50 AM

View Jig_saw's Photo Album My Photos
Probably not, because you don't want your dog to eat your furniture. lol
post #11 of 16 Old 02-20-2016, 09:32 AM
post #12 of 16 Old 02-21-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

The furniture finish from Vermont Natural Coatings looks like it could work very well for my parts! I will be ordering some to test out tomorrow.

Thank you for pointing that out to me.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-22-2016, 08:56 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Hello everyone!

I'm a new member to this forum. I've had a problem that I haven't been able to come up with a good solution for yet.

I make a lot of parts on the CNC. Most of these parts are essentially 3/4" plywood sheets with various pockets machined out of them.

I need to use a food-safe finish for these parts. I have been using a mineral oil/bee's wax mixture that looks nice.

Here's the issue:
The finishing part of the process is very labor intensive. It takes a lot of work to apply oil to all of the surfaces and inside pockets, etc.

I need to use a paint brush to get into all of the nooks and crannies. On top of that, it takes equally as long to remove every bit of the excess oil.

My question:
Is there a better method for this type of job? Or, is there a drying oil that would get rid of the need to spend time removing every last bit of mineral oil on the parts?

Thank you for your time!
been watching this hoping for answers on the mineral oil. we have the same issue - a customer wants it on a small item/large qty. I was thinking of dipping the wood item in a tank of min oil/beeswax, then rack dry. have you tried that?
post #14 of 16 Old 02-22-2016, 09:28 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
The furniture finish from Vermont Natural Coatings looks like it could work very well for my parts! I will be ordering some to test out tomorrow.

Thank you for pointing that out to me.
Let us know how this works when you do your tests. It sounds pretty cool. I'm very interested in this.

Red

Red
post #15 of 16 Old 02-22-2016, 09:34 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
If you are selling 'growing pots' or something similar and you want the customer to finish/refinish by themselves and want water resistance, I would suggest sandpaper and aerosol can of spray lacquer. Lacquer was used on furniture and table tops for most of the 20th century and look how long they lasted.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #16 of 16 Old 02-22-2016, 01:12 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
do you have any experience with this? how is it applied, brush, rag, spray? thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode