Question about Drawer Guides - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

View Sorrowful Jones's Photo Album My Photos
Question about Drawer Guides

I am about to build the lower drawer on my router table project. The drawer is 32.5" wide x 8.5" height x 18" deep.

Do you think it would be better to install the drawer guides on the bottom (like the picture) or on the sides? I plan on putting in a couple of stiffeners on the bottom side of the drawer. It seems to me this drawer is a little wide to have the guides on the sides. I am really not sure what I am going to keep in there but I don't want it to sag. Would like opinions and suggestions. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Router Table Projectxx.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	42902  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrowful Jones View Post
I am about to build the lower drawer on my router table project. The drawer is 32.5" wide x 8.5" height x 18" deep.

Do you think it would be better to install the drawer guides on the bottom (like the picture) or on the sides? I plan on putting in a couple of stiffeners on the bottom side of the drawer. It seems to me this drawer is a little wide to have the guides on the sides. I am really not sure what I am going to keep in there but I don't want it to sag. Would like opinions and suggestions. Thanks

If you're concerned about the weight, use 1/2" for the bottom. Those slides look like side mount, which aren't designed for under mount. If they aren't side mount, I would use 100 lb full extension side mount slides.

post #3 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 PM

View Canarywood's Photo Album My Photos
+1 to what Cabinetman said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Keep'n it Real.

View KevinGe's Photo Album My Photos
+2, side mount
post #5 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
If you're concerned about the weight, use 1/2" for the bottom. Those slides look like side mount, which aren't designed for under mount. If they aren't side mount, I would use 100 lb ull extension side mount slides..
Yes they are side mounts, and I believe they are 100lb. I just wasn't sure if I could use them on the bottom or not. If I side mount these, do you think I can get away with using 1/4" on the bottom if I put a couple of stiffeners?
post #6 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrowful Jones View Post
Yes they are side mounts, and I believe they are 100lb. I just wasn't sure if I could use them on the bottom or not. If I side mount these, do you think I can get away with using 1/4" on the bottom if I put a couple of stiffeners?

For bottoms, 1/4" is usually adequate for most drawers, as loads aren't usually centered, but rather dispersed. If it's not to be decorative, like shop drawers, 1/4" tempered Masonite is IMO stiffer than plywood. You could add stiffeners if the plywood would seem likely to deflect.

post #7 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, you can mount them like that but they are only rated for 25 lbs. They are designed for side mount.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #8 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Yes, you can mount them like that but they are only rated for 25 lbs.
Where did you find that data, and is it for certain lengths?

post #9 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

Can't seem to find it for the smaller drawers right now. I have used them this way and they sag a lot.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Old School

Quote:
Can't seem to find it for the smaller drawers right now. I have used them this way and they sag a lot.
I wouldn't use side mount slides as undermounts with the thought that the application is for low weight drawers. The way those slides are configured with the ball bearings, the design provides for the vertical loads. If the slide is turned 90 degrees, it's subject to a different load force. Used that way (as undermounts) makes the slide susceptible to deflection. Bearings can fall out.

I've had clients call for repair to those type of slides, installed properly, that have bumped a drawer partially or fully open, and created enough side deflection to disrupt the bearings. When the drawer is pulled out, it is fairly rigid up and down. But side to side has a fair amount of movement, which is the same as if used as an undermount.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
Sorrowful Jones (04-14-2012)
post #11 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

That is why there is such a load decrease. Not recommended by Accuride, but I've seen it done.

post #12 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Old School

Quote:
That is why there is such a load decrease. Not recommended by Accuride, but I've seen it done.
Some slide manufacturers that list the pound capacity indicate that it's for an 18" length. Not that it's the same capacity for longer lengths. And, some list load capacity without stating whether it's for static loads or dynamic loads. So, reading the tech info is helpful.

post #13 of 15 Old 04-14-2012, 11:35 PM

View Dave66's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't use those like that. They look like side mount glides and you'll lose a lot of their "stiffness" by laying them on their sides. That drawer will want to sag quite a bit with any kind of load in it. I would also use 1/2 material for the drawer bottom.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 AM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
The bearings donít work on their side so its going to be metal to metal as soon as there is weight on it

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.

Last edited by Sleeper; 04-15-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added Drawing
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleeper For This Useful Post:
Sorrowful Jones (04-15-2012)
post #15 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sleeper and others. Makes perfect sense. I will use 1/2" for the bottom and will mount the guides on the side and that should work.

Thanks again everyone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode