Question about the desk top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

View believebraves's Photo Album My Photos
Question about the desk top

I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on a good method for making a top on a desk. The desk top will be 26"x84". Below is a picture of the desk in progress. And yes it is just pine wood, my wife wanted a new desk for the office, and I had tons of pine left over so this project has cost me nothing... All out of scrap or wood prev purchased and was left over.

I have made smaller desks before where I just routered a sheet of mdf, but that would be extremely hard with that large of piece with the little space I have. And would not look that attractive. My thought was to cut ply 3/4 shorter take a 1x2 and run around it, giving it an over hang and rounding the corners, but don't know if that would work or look decent??? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What you have described would be fine. I would probably add a piece of molding underneath it just to add a little more character.

What you have done so far looks great.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
believebraves (07-27-2011)
post #3 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
You have any like habitat for humanity restore stores in your area? id was able to purchase 2 36x96 rolls of HD's high def. formica, IMO in sort of a stone look would look sharp with your 1x border than the formica for the writeing surface. Or maybe the pine just has natural on my brain. great work so far man. What are your thoughts as far as a finish?
The Following User Says Thank You to troyd1976 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I would probably have made the desk a bit differently. I would have made the pedestals separately, and if that center panel was to be added, it would install whenever the desk is moved to its resting place. It would be a lot easier to move than it being one piece.

I would recommend installing corner gussets (triangles) at the top edge inside corners. They would help keep the cabinets square and provide a way to screw the top down.

You could make a plywood top and edge it with 3/4"x 1 1/2". That would make the top look thicker. A nice top would be a Formica type laminate with a wood edging.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyd1976
You have any like habitat for humanity restore stores in your area? id was able to purchase 2 36x96 rolls of HD's high def. formica, IMO in sort of a stone look would look sharp with your 1x border than the formica for the writeing surface. Or maybe the pine just has natural on my brain. great work so far man. What are your thoughts as far as a finish?
Hey thanks for the idea! Haven't thought of something like that. Im not familiar with Formica. How does it work/attach. Attached is a picture of what the desk will look like finished to match a secertary desk.
Attached Images

post #6 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman
I would probably have made the desk a bit differently. I would have made the pedestals separately, and if that center panel was to be added, it would install whenever the desk is moved to its resting place. It would be a lot easier to move than it being one piece.

I would recommend installing corner gussets (triangles) at the top edge inside corners. They would help keep the cabinets square and provide a way to screw the top down.

You could make a plywood top and edge it with 3/4"x 1 1/2". That would make the top look thicker. A nice top would be a Formica type laminate with a wood edging.

I thought of doing that with the back but didn't... It will be a pain to get it to it's final resting place, however it is what it is. Could you please explain what a gusset is? Im sorry I'm not familiar with building terms.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by believebraves View Post
I thought of doing that with the back but didn't... It will be a pain to get it to it's final resting place, however it is what it is. Could you please explain what a gusset is? Im sorry I'm not familiar with building terms.
A gusset is nothing more than a wood (or metal) triangle that gets mounted on an inside corner. It keeps the corner to 90 degrees. It can be drilled and a screw through from underneath, through it, and into the top...to mount the top. In this diagram..the corner braces.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks for the information!!
post #9 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM

Please, please, no formica.

George
post #10 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Why not George.... Pro's/Con's to it?
post #11 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 04:27 PM

It looks cheap, cheap, cheap. I have to look at it every day in my kitchen. I cannot get my wife to buy new counter tops!!!!

George
post #12 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the advice! I ended up going with the ply top with a 1x for trim. Nothin special in this desk, but it will be neat explaining to people that see it that I did not spend a penny on it... All scraps from other paying jobs.. Going to stain tomorrow night, and I'll add the finished project.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode