Question about cart for folding tables and chairs - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

View Lowcountrygamecock's Photo Album My Photos
Question about cart for folding tables and chairs

I need a cart/dolly for my 6 foot fold up tables so I can easily roll them in and out of a closet in my shop. Something similar to the picture below. The commercial ones are too wide to fit though so I need to build one. I'm good on the frame at the bottom and plan to build it out of 2x4's and just add some 3 inch casters. I need some help figuring out the rails though. I'm thinking about 1/2 or 3/4 inch metal pipe but I don't have a pipe threader and I know I won't get exact right size pieces from a box store. Still may work something out and go that route though. My question is how do I attach the metal pipe to the wood frame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's pretty difficult to make something like that out of wood and have it hold up. Even if you make the base out of wood I would make the verticle part of it out of tublar steel like shown in the picture. Another option would be to use 3/4" pipe for the top parts. You could use a floor flange to attach it to the base.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Most rental center rent pipe threaders. I would thread pipe and get screw on flanges that can be screwed or bolted to the base.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 01:19 PM

View SeniorSitizen's Photo Album My Photos
You could make it look real neat if you made your own screw flanges and fastened them to the bottom with the pipe coupling coming up through the floor boards via a hole provided.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

View Lowcountrygamecock's Photo Album My Photos
I found the flanges today at lunch that were mentioned. I think I can borrow a pipe threader and get what I need. Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 02:25 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I have a couple of those folding tables and they are pretty heavy. Folded up they are 30 x 30 I believe. I use a heavy duty four wheel hand truck I found at Sam's Club a few years ago. I added a 1/2" plywood bed to it and covered it with carpet. The tables fit perfectly if I lay them down.

However, it might not work for you if the door opening is less than 30 inches. I used the cart to tote the tables, and other stuff in and out of schools to set up my sports photography events.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-08-23 13.30.53.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	74427  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-08-25 12.45.50.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	74429  

Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode