Quality screws for white oak - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 17Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 11-28-2019, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
David

View Haydman6's Photo Album My Photos
Quality screws for white oak

I am building some white oak furniture and keep breaking off screws. Screws are size 8 and im pre-drilling them to a size 10 hole and still breaking screws. Is there a brand or type of screw I should be buying. I have some silver wood screws and tried drywall screws and they break easily also. Thanks david
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 11-28-2019, 06:34 AM

View danrush's Photo Album My Photos
I use GRK screws for all my cabinet installs. Their #8 r4 screws are a bugle head with drill tip. I still predrill when connecting hardwood stiles, but have never snapped one of theirs screws. (I go through probably 150-200 lbs of various size screws yearly).
gmercer_48083 likes this.
post #3 of 34 Old 11-28-2019, 07:49 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Are you snapping the screws before they are fully seated? Or during the final tightening?

I do not use many screws in woodworking and do not remember ever snapping one off. Have never paid any attention to brand of screws I buy.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 11-28-2019, 08:52 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Stick with the #8 in a #10 hole and try using a finer (more threads per inch) screw. Screws in White oak are like screws in fiberglass. the hole has to be slightly larger.
I'm used to doing a lot of boat work and almost always use Stainless Steel screws for almost everything.. You might give that a try.
Sometimes you might even have better luck with a machine screw as opposed to a wood screw.
White oak is pretty tough stuff.
Is there some reason why you cant use a glue joint?

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #5 of 34 Old 11-28-2019, 11:14 AM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
Are you sure your pre drilling your holes deep enough?
mmwood_1 and NoThankyou like this.
post #6 of 34 Old 11-28-2019, 11:54 AM

View sancho57's Photo Album My Photos
Like what has been already said, Never had that happened to me. At least I cant remember it happened.

Are you predrilling deep enough?

Have you set your drill to the right torque setting?

when you pre drill are you also counter sinking the holes?

Its hard to know by a persons posts what the real answer is, can only offer a few things to look at

Oh just thought of something dont know if you are, but dont use drywall screws.

Im starting to really like torx head screws.
post #7 of 34 Old 11-28-2019, 12:36 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Try lubricating the screws with wax before you drive them. A wax toilet seat ring is a cheap source.
post #8 of 34 Old 11-28-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Try lubricating the screws with wax before you drive them. A wax toilet seat ring is a cheap source.

You already have plenty of the cheapest source already around your house. I just use bar soap. Works like a charm.

George
mmwood_1 likes this.
post #9 of 34 Old 11-28-2019, 07:20 PM

View TominToledo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrush View Post
I use GRK screws for all my cabinet installs. Their #8 r4 screws are a bugle head with drill tip. I still predrill when connecting hardwood stiles, but have never snapped one of theirs screws. (I go through probably 150-200 lbs of various size screws yearly).
I agree with Dan. GRK is the way to go. Youíll still need to pre-drill. They are the best imo. And rub each screw with a bit of soap from a bar...any brand will do. Thatís a trick my Grandfather taught me. It works great. I have a bar of soap sitting near each of my workbenches. Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends. And best wishes to everyone else. Tom
gmercer_48083 likes this.

Tom
"You'll do better in Toledo."

Last edited by TominToledo; 11-28-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #10 of 34 Old 11-28-2019, 08:52 PM

View chaserchuck's Photo Album My Photos
Cool Phillips screws

Hey Y'all
My first post, but I have made furniture and built houses for a living since 1972. I used dowels for fastening my furniture until I discovered screws. I countersunk the screws 1/4" and used dowels to fill in the countersink. Of course there were only straight head screws back then, so it was still not a cakewalk. I finally switched to screws made by Phillips and also use their screw tips exclusively. Since most stores only sell imported screws now, and hardened steel tips, I order from Phillips directly. Their screw tips are the best I have ever used - I won't even buy a B&D or any black metal tip.

As far as screwing into any hardwood, you have to practice drilling the right sized pilot hole, and the right depth for that particular piece of wood and screw length. It's easier to brak off a screw in a practice piece than the real thing. From experience of trying to deal with a snapped off screw, I also am very careful when I make the final push. Often I will remove the screw if I feel it's getting hard to drive. I will then take the time to redrill the pilot hole to get rid of accumulated stuff, and then screw the screw in again. I am a fan of soap or im my case an old piece of canning wax from my mom that I've been using for 40+ years.

I used screws on this chair when I designed it in 1972, and I still do, as it can be broken down and shipped. The wood in this chair is bloodwood
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chair copy 2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	381289  

Maybe the mockingbird taught all the other birds to sing
post #11 of 34 Old 11-29-2019, 02:02 AM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not sure what a #10 hole is, but for #8 screws, I use a 3/16" hole in the first board for the shank, then a 1/8" pilot hole for the threads. White oak, maple, red oak, ash, doesn't matter. But you do have to go the depth of the screw. If you are 1/4" short of the screw length, that last 1/4" could snap your screw.
Tony B and JamesTinKS like this.
post #12 of 34 Old 11-29-2019, 02:08 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I have been wondering whether the drill is tapered or straight.
post #13 of 34 Old 11-29-2019, 06:56 PM

View regesullivan's Photo Album My Photos
Try a bit specifically designed for counter sinking #8 wood screws or a universal counter sink bit with an adjustable lenth drill bit. I work with a lot of red and white oak and rearly break a screw and I use a fairly cheap sink plated screw from Mcfeely's. They are a good source for screws, counter sink bits and many other fastener needs.
post #14 of 34 Old 11-29-2019, 07:38 PM
No Longer Here

View bob493's Photo Album My Photos
Im in the "never broke a screw" camp here. I've never even entertained screw "quality" in this sense, as either its getting doweled in, or purely structural. I use deck screws and drywall screws almost exclusively. I use those self tapping pan heads for when i want some "oomf", but yeah I cant say ive ever broken a steel screw. If you're torquing that much, I'd imagine you're doing structural damage to the wood too, or not drilling properly. Hate to call this out as a technique error, but unless youre painfully unlucky with screws, then it might be time to reevaluate your techniques.

Now brass screws on the other hand.... yeesh.
post #15 of 34 Old 11-29-2019, 11:15 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
It is too lengthy an explanation so I started another thread.

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/s...1/#post2082057

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #16 of 34 Old 11-29-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
You already have plenty of the cheapest source already around your house. I just use bar soap. Works like a charm.

George

Soap sounds like a better lubricant, but when I tried using soap, it flaked out of the threads; thatís why I switched to wax.
NoThankyou likes this.
post #17 of 34 Old 11-30-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
David

View Haydman6's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks guys lots of good tips. Iím building a mission bed and the only thing Iím using screws on is to connect the cleats to the rails. just to give them an extra support for the glue. The rest of the bed is all mortise and tenonĎs. Ill head to Home Depot and get some of those GRK screws for sure. Iíve been drilling pilot holes to the exact length of the screw but I think I will start adding an eighth of an inch more and start using wax on My screws for hardwood. Iíve been using sappy countersink bits size for number 10 screws. I try to use mortise and tenon also dovetails on the majority of my joints. Thanks again for all the good information I will put it to use
post #18 of 34 Old 11-30-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Soap sounds like a better lubricant, but when I tried using soap, it flaked out of the threads; thatís why I switched to wax.

You do not use soap from the hard part of the bar. You use from soft area and you will have no problem.

Geprge
post #19 of 34 Old 11-30-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:

You do not use from hard part of bar. Use from softer part and there will be no problem.

People have been using this trick for generations. My father taught me this 70 years ago.

George
post #20 of 34 Old 11-30-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
You do not use from hard part of bar. Use from softer part and there will be no problem.

People have been using this trick for generations. My father taught me this 70 years ago.

George

My soap (new bar) doesnít have a soft spot.
Kerrys likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode