Quality Online Safety Videos and Tutorials - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By FrankC

post #1 of 7 Old 05-28-2020, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
MMC

View MMC's Photo Album My Photos
Quality Online Safety Videos and Tutorials

I have a friend that is just getting into woodworking and she has very little experience using a lot of the tools. She took wood shop in high school but that was many years ago. Does anyone know of a good set of videos that are online that go over the basics as far as safety and basic operation (especially power tools)? I gave her a bunch of my older tools but some of them were hand-me-downs that I never had the manual for. I gave her the manuals that I had and I've sent her copies of the ones that I found online but I was hoping that maybe there was a free video series online that I could suggest to her that would give her a reliable resource she could use as a reference while learning. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-28-2020, 09:13 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
A good resource is doing a search on "Woodworking" on YouTube. Some names that come to mind are the Wood Whisperer, Steve Ramsey, the late Charles Neil.
Libraries or purchased books are handy too.
I'm sure others on this forum will chime in with their favourites.
Brian

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #3 of 7 Old 05-28-2020, 10:11 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
In addition to basic woodworking safety, an additional perspective might be to identify the improvements in safe woodworking knowledge and practices since she took woodshop. Here are some areas that come have received greater focus and attention since my early days of woodworking:

* Dust protection - These days, I always wear a dust mask when using power tools, when doing any kind of sanding, and most especially cleanup. Wood dust can cause cancer.
* Hearing protection
* Dust collection
* Chemical handling and storage
* Waste safety - Oily rags can catch fire, etc.

Beyond that, there are general rules such as "don't wear loose clothing" and "keep your hair bundled and out of the way", plus specific rules for each tool. Search for both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-28-2020, 10:22 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Fine Woodworking has very good resources. For someone interested in learning, the membership fee is well worth it IMO.

Robert
post #5 of 7 Old 05-28-2020, 11:45 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Some good resources and advice has already been given, just be aware that a lot of information on You Tube is often not worth the time watching and will often lead to a world of hurt as many of the You Tube videos are not produced by woodworkers but by people with no knowledge of good practices.

A member, Woodnthings, has been posting links to You Tube videos, most of these are an acceptation to what I said above and offer good, interesting advice.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Last edited by FrankC; 05-28-2020 at 11:48 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-28-2020, 01:15 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Safety First, of course ....

There are some You Tube videos that are specifically focused on safety for example:

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...2Fkickback.htm

Naturally I chose the table saw because it is the foundation of most woodworking shops, and because it is the least understood machine AND therefore the most dangerous! Second on my "most dangerous list" is the table mounted router because feed direction is so important. If you "climb cut/feed" it will rip the stock right out of youe hands and sens it shooting across the room at between 55 and 100 MPH.

Drill presses are the least suspect, but can be dangerous IF the bit sticks in the workpiece and it starts to spin around while you try to stop it while getting your hands sliced up and the OFF switch is typically not within reach. A foot operated momentary ON/OFF switch can solve that issue, but I rarely see one in use.

Wood lathes with the rotating workpiece can grab your shirt sleeves, OR your long hair if it's not tied back. Folks have been scalped when this happens, unfortuately. The workpiece can come loose and fly off as well. The cutting tool can jam unexpectedly and get throw off.

The jointer is basically a simple machine and potentially dangerous, but a push block should be used when possible on pieces shorter than 24" and very thin stock, 1/2" and less.

The thick planer is also a simple machine and it has power feed so there's not too much danger from kickback, but again NO short pieces! 18" is the minimum in my opinion.

The bandsaw is relatively safe during the cutting operation, BUT once the cut is completed, the entire exposed height of the rapidly spinning blade is a potential hazard. Keep hands and fingers well away!

One controversial machine is the Radial Arm Saw and it requires a separate lesson, since it is the most complicated machine to properly set up and operate safely. Guards should be in place whether using it to crosscut, rip or as a shaper.

Physics plays an important role in using high speed cutters on all these machines, so a basic understanding of how blades cutters enter the workpiece, and what happens after that is relevant.

The debate over the flesh sensing safety Saw Stop blade brake will always be a topic of discussion. Where there are inexperience folks using the saw, it's probably the best "insurance" against a blade injury, BUT it will do nothing to prevent a kickback. Physics plays an important role here.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-28-2020 at 02:01 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-28-2020, 06:19 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Idea:

Suggest some safety videos to her and after she sees them, suggest she watch some of the regular woodworking videos on youtube. Then she can look for safety concerns and note them. Then sign up here on WWT and discuss the safety issues she saw on youtube. Maybe even post the links to the ones she has questions on.

That way, she will be relearning woodworking and shop safety at the same time.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode