Quality of Grizzley Tools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 12-09-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

View Roundup85's Photo Album My Photos
Quality of Grizzley Tools

I am a hobby Woodworker and wanting to add to my tools and needing some things for my Christmas list. . Saw the Grizzly brand of tools and wanted some feedback on quality and durability of this specific brand. Looking at a Drill press, Bandsaw, and possibly a Jointer. Does anybody have these and do they work OK? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-09-2012, 12:01 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Like many brands, you may get a spectrum of responses.

I have purchased a few Grizzly tools over the years such as my first 14in bandsaw, and its replacement a G0513 17in bandsaw. Sold the first one to a friend. I wanted more power and cut capacity.

I have not had a problem with these tools. I have read where others have been impressed with Grizzly Tech support.

I usually consider Grizzly when shopping for tools.

I have also read where people had problems, but this is infrequent.

Grizzly started out with machines made in Taiwan, and the same factory as other brands.

A lot of Grizzly machines are now sourced from mainland China. Many manufacturers are now sourcing from mainland China.

If you are within driving distance of a Grizzly showroom, I would recommend you drive to pick up the machine.

A common problem across all manufacturers is common carrier shipping of the heavy tools. This is the most likely cause of damage. If you can pick up at the showroom the machine should not be damaged.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-09-2012, 12:02 PM

View croaker's Photo Album My Photos
I have a jointer and a couple of sanders that are grizzly.
I am very pleased with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 PM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
when, and if, i ever move on from my two 10" CI contractor saws, grizzly will be one of the few brands i'll consider. they routinely get great reviews for their products and customer service and technical support.

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-09-2012, 12:42 PM
woodbutcherer

View jstange2's Photo Album My Photos
i bought the 1.5 hp shaper 9 years ago and it has been great. I just bought the grizzly G0452P jointer a month ago, and other than a couple of blemishes in the cast iron (not a big deal to me) it has been what I expected and no problems.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-09-2012, 12:55 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Go Grizzly!

I own Powermatic, Jet, Rockwell, Delta, MinMax and Grizzly.
While the quality of the top surfaces man not be as polished on the Griz compared to the Powermatic, the castings are robust and the machining well done and precise. Generally speaking power tools are simple machines. Arbors, shafts, pulleys, bearings, tables and sometimes machine ways as in a jointer. There just not a lot to go wrong. The quality control these days is way better than when they first started out and they were made in China. The Tiawanese made tools are much better.
I just got through using a Grizzly 12" single drum sander to finish sand some 11" wide glue ups in red Oak and it work great. The 8" jointer makes a surface as smooth as you could want.
I have no complaints, problems or issues.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-09-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: sp
post #7 of 19 Old 12-09-2012, 02:36 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a Grizzly G0555lx 14 inch band saw. It works great. I have no complaints. Currently I have a 3/16 inch blade on it to cut out cutting board designs and anything else that needs to be sawn that ain't in a straight line.

Currently it is $445.

FYI - If you don't have a loading dock to use, I would suggest adding the lift gate service ($34) when prompted. The freight truck driver unloaded it and set it in the doorway of my garage at my house. At 250 pounds, I wouldn't have been able to get it off the back of his truck.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Many Grizzly owners here. I had a 6" jointer and liked it so much I upgraded to the 8" version. Generally very good tools. The only things I've heard criticisms of are the 0715 table saw and the lathes. Otherwise solid.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-09-2012, 05:29 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
It's hard to make an accurate assessment of an entire line. Any feedback really should be specific to the tool to be useful....true of any brand. No brand is perfect across the board (). In general terms, most of the bigger Grizzly machinery is pretty comparable to other Asian import machinery like Jet, General International, Steel City, Rikon, some Delta, some PM, some Laguna, etc., and is often considered a great bang for the buck. They also carry some smaller stuff that may or may not be as worthwhile. Best to do the homework on each tool. Grizzly's customer service is generally very well regarded.

I've got a Grizzly G1129 2hp dust collector, and a 6" Grizzly G1182HW that have both been excellent. I also have a Shop Fox W1677 3hp cabinet saw, that's identical to the Grizzly G1023SL thats's also been great (they're associated companies).

Last edited by knotscott; 12-09-2012 at 05:36 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 PM

View scsmith42's Photo Album My Photos
In my shop I have tools and equipment from Grizzly, Oliver, Delta, Laguna, Mattison, Festool, Baker, etc. In Grizzly equipment alone I have over 50K invested.

My experience with their Z and Extreme Duty Series of equipment has been 100% positive.

IMO they typically offer the best value in woodworking equipment.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 PM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
I borrowed a friends shop to build a kitchen. He has several Grizzly moulders, a planer and a bandsaw. I used all of these with very satisfactory results. Properly set up they seem to be a solid, well constructed machine.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #12 of 19 Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
I've said this before.

Look for the Grizzly tools that are made in a ISO 9002 factory. They are as good as anything out there on the market.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich
Look for the Grizzly tools that are made in a ISO 9002 factory. They are as good as anything out there on the market.
Agree very much with this statement. The biggest advantage of ISO is quality control.

I frequent the Springfield, MO store almost weekly as I in that town almost every Saturday. I have a few small items from Grizzly, but my big ticket item is a 6" jointer. It's the G0604X 6" Parallelogram Jointer. I was able to get this unit in the clearance area for $600 because it has scratches on it. Otherwise a its perfect.

Mark

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
post #14 of 19 Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

View Roundup85's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb

Agree very much with this statement. The biggest advantage of ISO is quality control.

I frequent the Springfield, MO store almost weekly as I in that town almost every Saturday. I have a few small items from Grizzly, but my big ticket item is a 6" jointer. It's the G0604X 6" Parallelogram Jointer. I was able to get this unit in the clearance area for $600 because it has scratches on it. Otherwise a its perfect.

Mark
We live in central Kansas so I am about 4 1/2 hours from Springfield, MO. My bank account would probably suffer if I lived any closer. Will have to make plans to get to the showroom someday soon though.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-11-2012, 03:05 PM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
My Grizz tools have been good investments. Not only do the tools work well, but I have confidence in the customer support.
Shiraz Bilolia and the Grizz team are the best.
Know anybody at Delta, Craftsman, Porter Cable?
Folks like the Grizz, Lee Valley, Forrest, etc., and companies who join in our community discussions are proud of their products. I'm proud to support them.
Wanna know how I REALLY feel?
Bill
post #16 of 19 Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Lector

View Glassnwood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundup85 View Post
I am a hobby Woodworker and wanting to add to my tools and needing some things for my Christmas list. . Saw the Grizzly brand of tools and wanted some feedback on quality and durability of this specific brand. Looking at a Drill press, Bandsaw, and possibly a Jointer. Does anybody have these and do they work OK? Thanks for your help.
I got my hands on a 1989 10in disk/2in belt sander. It was used at a local high school . I can't even phantom the abuse it has gone through. It works perfect to this day . When I get ready for a new planner it will be a Grizzly.

Last edited by Glassnwood; 12-12-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: size of the disk
post #17 of 19 Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 AM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a Grizzly G0555 bandsaw about 7 - 8 years ago. Upon delivery, there were a few spots on the table top (pits) from the casting. The table top should have been ground a little more before it left the factory. I called customer support and they were surprised as it should have not passed inspection. They immediately sent a replacement table. This saw also came with a 92 1/2" blade installed. When I finally switched to standard 93 1/2" blades I called customer support again and they walked me though the applicable adjustments in just a few minutes. It runs great and I would not hesitate to buy another Grizzly machine. I actually have my eye on a Grizzly jointer.
post #18 of 19 Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 AM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I also have one of the 14" band saws from Grizzly and it has preformed flawlessly once I learned how to set it up correctly. I use it for resawing and for other cuts using several blade sizes from 3/4 to 1/8. From everything I've read and discovered for myself they are good tools and the folks are very helpful should their be a problem. For what its worth, I bought the riser block at the same time as I bought my saw and discovered the instructions for the riser were incorrect. They specified that I needed two 22mm wrenches to tighten the bolt and nut during installation. That info was wrong. The bolt needed a 28mm wrench. Thanks to my extensive array of automotive tools, I just happened to have the wrench I needed on hand so I was able to assemble my saw without any trouble. When I notified Grizzly by email about the mistake they called me and offered to send me a new bolt and thanked me for letting them know about the problem. They checked every riser kit in their stock and found several more with the wrong size bolt and said that they were exchanging all the wrong bolts before shipping any more risers.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #19 of 19 Old 12-26-2012, 11:17 AM

View makin_sawdust's Photo Album My Photos
Well I'll jump in...
I'm very pleased with all my Grizzly tools, and Dad always liked his
I have a planer and a drill press
Dad had 2-drill presses, a vertical milling machine, a huge lathe, a small speed lathe
Never had a problem or an issue with any of them
I would not hesitate for a second to buy another Grizzly tool

Makin sawdust is my name for hangin out in my woodshop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode