Put glue in dado for plywood or not? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ponch37300

post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

View ponch37300's Photo Album My Photos
Put glue in dado for plywood or not?

Gluing up a coffee table I'm working on. It's all oak and oak ply. The top is going to lift off and have a wood train track inside, so inside is about 8" deep.

Like this one,
Name:  toy train coffee table.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  85.0 KB

Where the bottom goes I have 1x3" "rails", not sure if that's the right word or not but that's what I'll call them. I used my router table with an undersized plywood bit to make a 1/4" deep dado in them to accept a sheet of plywood. I'm ready to glue it all up and glued the rails to the legs and slid the oak ply in the dado slot and ready to attach the last side and legs. Just not sure if I should put glue in the dado slot for the ply or not? I'm thinking yes to give it more rigidity and strength but not sure if I should leave it dry for expansion and contraction? Thinking it is similar to a cabinet door panel and thought I read somewhere you leave those dry.

Going to try and upload some pics so hopefully you can see what I mean if I didn't describe it good.

Put glue in dado for plywood or not?-toy-train-table-mine-2.jpg
Name:  toy train table mine.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  31.6 KB
Toolman50 likes this.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 01:11 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I would glue the rails on top and bottom but not on ends.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
The plywood should not expand much, if at all, so that should not be cause for concern.

Even though glue is not strictly necessary, assuming you never intend to take it apart, if it were me ... I would glue it.

Just curious ... how deep are the dados, and how much "play" is there?

... turning perfectly good wood into firewood every day ... :smile3:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 01:16 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
I'd glue all around and brad nail or clamp. the plywood has layers of grain going several directions, making it very stable as far as e&c goes. the faces you see are only veneer/thin.

nice design.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

View ponch37300's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
The plywood should not expand much, if at all, so that should not be cause for concern.

Even though glue is not strictly necessary, assuming you never intend to take it apart, if it were me ... I would glue it.

Just curious ... how deep are the dados, and how much "play" is there?
The dados are 1/4" deep. I used an undersized plywood bit in my router table to make them so they are a pretty tight fit. They is a very little play as in the ply goes in without having to force it but there isn't a lot of slop at all.

Thanks for the replies. I will glue it all since it can't hurt and will give some extra strength to it.

Thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode