Protection for large project during transportation for delivery - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony B
  • 2 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 8 Old 09-04-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

View caberto's Photo Album My Photos
Protection for large project during transportation for delivery

Hi all,

I am new here, but have visited sometimes while looking for information during a browser search.

I am fairly new to what I would call “real” woodworking, though I’ve been making things with wood off and on for many years, but certainly not at a high or even decent quality level. However, I’m starting to delve into more of that aspect now and am learning a lot; there is much to learn, and looks like it's a lifelong learning experience. As a result, I have had “customers” request specific custom items made for them for purchase.

I have looked for an answer to my question but can’t seem to find anything related… so here it is:

I have just finished two twin beds for a customer, and will attach the rails to the headboards and footboards onsite using the already installed brackets. My question is, how do you wrap, or otherwise protect the individual pieces for something this size during transportation for delivery. I have a good, clean crew-cab pickup I will be using for delivery.

I’m thinking moving blankets for between the different pieces, but wanted to get some input from those who have done this before – thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-04-2019, 09:34 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I have rolled the the rails in a moving blanket and used stretch wrap on the ends. Lay blanket on floor and lay one rail on it. Roll blanket to where the rail is completely covered, then lay next rail on it and continue rolling till all is covered. Use stretch wrap on end and center also if you think you need to.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx
post #3 of 8 Old 09-05-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Tony, hadn't thought about the stretch wrap, that's a great idea, and wrapping two rails in one blanket makes sense as well!
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-05-2019, 08:18 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
When I had my shop, it always impressed the customer when I walk into house with everything nice and neatly wrapped. I always had nice size box trucks and one wall had shelving about a foot wide That was for loose stuff, like bed rails wrapped in blankets.
If you follow their ads, Harbor freight always has their moving plankets on sale and stretch always comes in handy when you are working alone. It eliminates the need to stop and have 2 hands to tie a knot

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 09-05-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-05-2019, 11:38 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
A different way to wrap them ....

Lay the blanket in the bed of the truck lengthwise. Place the rails just inside the wheel houses, one on each side. Wrap them each towards the center until they meet. Much easier to control one at a time than two wrapped together. Bungee them together at both ends. Drive away smiling......

$$$$$
Tony B and Onefreetexan like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 8 Old 09-05-2019, 11:48 AM

View mackman's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have positive advice, but I have very strong negative advice regarding shipping and protection:

NEVER allow bubble wrap to touch your project directly. Finishes don't like it, especially polyurethane. I shipped a perfectly polished desk to a client a couple months ago, and when it arrived, it was COVERED in marks from the bubble wrap. I refunded my client a considerable amount so he could purchase some polishing compound, and luckily that worked, but it was just a mess all around. Much better to use blankets as you're already doing!

Mackenzie Mulligan of Mulligan Woodworking!

Follow along in my journey from amateur to slightly less so at my blog!
post #7 of 8 Old 09-05-2019, 12:44 PM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
Blankets. You can usually go to a thrift store or goodwill and get some cheap. Sometimes you can find used packing blankets. I hate plastic stretch wrap. I use blue masking tape instead to hold the blankets closed and tight, if I need to do that. I have an enclosed cargo trailer and I usually just wrap and stack. If I have components longer than my trailer and need to tie them onto my roof rack, then I definitely tape it tight. If it's raining, then I also wrap in a tarp and tape it shut tightly.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-06-2019, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

The beds were delivered today. I used Harbor Freight blankets and picked up their stretch wrap as well, and it all worked great.

I had read reviews about the stretch wrap at the two big box stores and most of the reviews were bad, mostly that the wrap was too thin and would break easily, and wouldn't unroll smoothly. I had none of those issues with the Harbor freight stretch wrap... who would've thought lol.

The client was very happy with the beds and has already requested additional wood projects, so it was an awesome day.

Thanks again!

- Caberto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode