Project Headaches - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 12-21-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

View michigancritter's Photo Album My Photos
Project Headaches

Have you ever had a project that just keeps giving you problems? I have 7 boxes to make for my in laws and just can't get them to go right. Picked a design and every step has led to another problem. Miters weren't good, retuned the saw. Splines weren't good, get new jig. 9 attempts, zero complete. Now under the gun to get these finished and I don't even want to go back to my shop. How have you dealt with frustrations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Wayne

View BaldEagle2012's Photo Album My Photos
Yep. I was making a keepsake box, and the lift-off lid took three tries to get it right. It happens to all of us I expect at times. But the challenge to make it right, keeps us going. By doing that we are gaining experience and knowledge. So, my advice, sit down, relax, enjoy your fav drink, adult or otherwise and let it rest till your ready to tackle it again. The gifts may not be ready when you planned, but they will be welcomed just as much later, if that be the case.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-21-2014, 02:00 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Just imagine a 44"x96" table with 12" drop leaves and made from cherry, maple, walnut and wenge 8/4. Failed the first time after 3weeks from cherry cracked from day one without being addressed. They figured a 4 day build.

Anyway was scheduled for thanksgiving and all money lost they now turn the table over to me. Had to order new materials, re-glue top. All walnut cross members are dado, glue and screwed. A walnut tree was sawn and purchased for the legs. I have spent 4-5 physical days on this.

Bottom line....It will look great but will fail with all the glue and screws in the bottom. As soon as the table hits different seasons its done.

I work for a place that make prior decisions before a build and don't seek advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-21-2014, 03:45 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
show us some photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigancritter View Post
Have you ever had a project that just keeps giving you problems? I have 7 boxes to make for my in laws and just can't get them to go right. Picked a design and every step has led to another problem. Miters weren't good, retuned the saw. Splines weren't good, get new jig. 9 attempts, zero complete. Now under the gun to get these finished and I don't even want to go back to my shop. How have you dealt with frustrations?
Without photos showing your issues all you can get here is sympathy and psychological advice....

Table saw?
Miter saw?
Jig?
Splined miters?
What wood type?

Where are you in Michigan? near me?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 13 Old 12-21-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

View michigancritter's Photo Album My Photos
I'm in Rochester Hills. No photos were taken during build attempts and everything is in the scrap box. It was a modified design on a keepsake box with splines miters. The sides are tapered. The first attempts failed because of poor setup, that much I know. Lost one due to stupidity - cut the bottom groove on the wrong side. The one that broke my heart was yesterday while tapering the sides on the TS, a check in wood caught and ripped the short side off. I work full time so the weekends are my only opportunity for shop time.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-21-2014, 04:11 PM

View Paarker's Photo Album My Photos
I just got done with a blanket chest that was nothing but trouble from the start to the very end. To be honest I'm not really happy with the results but the person who will be receiving it will never know but I'll know when I see it. Lots of little things that most won't ever see, I can show them to my wife and she can't see them but I know they are there.

Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino
post #7 of 13 Old 12-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Wayne

View BaldEagle2012's Photo Album My Photos
Paarker: We are our worst critics. We can hide the boo boos, and they may not be seen, but we know. As long as the customer is satisfied, and you get your do worth for the project, both are satisfied. Lesson learned; we do our best to not make those same mistakes in the future. Been there, done that.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-21-2014, 08:47 PM

View FishFactory's Photo Album My Photos
That's what'd great about burning wood for heat.......lol! In all seriousness though, been a few times a project goes right into the furnace. Seems like when I do that and start over with a clean slate it goes a lot better and takes alot less time.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Everyone has a project every now and then that just seems to go wrong from start to finish. I hate to fight all the way through a project, but just knowing not all projects will be like that make it all worth while. If a person doesn't make mistakes he isn't doing anything.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 03:30 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
Returned two tools for bad results.You did not mention what brand or quality of tools.Ever consider operator error?Some projects go that way but 7 of the same thing?
post #11 of 13 Old 12-22-2014, 03:49 PM

View BioNerd's Photo Album My Photos
You must trust the Jedi within...
The Following User Says Thank You to BioNerd For This Useful Post:
BZawat (12-23-2014)
post #12 of 13 Old 12-23-2014, 02:49 PM

View tito5's Photo Album My Photos
a little free libarary.....was given the plans.....whoever designed it never built it. made some cahnges on the fly, some worked for better others did not.
learned that next time I will make a mock up out of cardboard first.......
post #13 of 13 Old 12-23-2014, 03:05 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
9 attempts without success... either your tools were deficient to accomplish the task, or you had some bad habits.

I mean I make mistakes, we all do of course... but Id be angry at myself if I had that many issues. I can only blame the tools so far before its my fault for not realizing their limitations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode