pressing a Ball bearing into wood on a rolling pin - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 12Likes
  • 3 Post By Tom-G
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC
  • 3 Post By Quickstep
  • 4 Post By matt6ft9

post #1 of 18 Old 08-01-2020, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

View matt6ft9's Photo Album My Photos
pressing a Ball bearing into wood on a rolling pin

I have been refurbishing a kitchen rolling pin. (sentimental reasons)
The center axle and ball bearings were very rusted. 24Hrs in vinegar and some scrubbing cleaned off the rust. Petroleum Jelly was used on the two bearings as lubricant. (I read that would be a safe lube to use in the kitchen)
The main problem I'm having is getting the bearings pressed back into the wood. One side of the bearings are tapered, which should be the side that goes into the wood. (see attached image)
The bearings measure 0.757” and 0.759” at room temperature. (using digital calipers)
The two recessed areas for the bearings measure 0.698” and 0.703”.
I've tried freezing the bearings to get the to shrink some. No luck. I've been using scrap wood (to protect the rolling pin) and a hammer to try and insert the bearing.
So, Any thoughts on how I can get the bearings back into the the rolling pin? (google searches have not been a help, so far)

Matt M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rolling.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	562.2 KB
ID:	393311  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-01-2020, 04:51 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
have never seen such a thing !!
can you show more photos of it ? like the handles, etc.
what happens when you wash it and water gets trapped
inside the roller? or does the water run out of the bearings.
very strange critter you have there for sure.

and - where you been for the past seven years ???

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-01-2020, 05:06 PM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
The recess in the rolling pin has probably swollen over the years from water when being washed. The water intrusion is evident by the rusted bearings. You could try a little bit of sanding to open the recess up enough to accept the bearings. Another option would be a length of thread rod longer than the rolling pin. Put a nut and a thick washer or multiple washers (washer must be larger diameter than the bearing) on one end, slide a bearing onto the rod from the other end so that it rests against the washer(s). Slide the rolling pin onto the rod, the second bearing, washer(s), and nut. Using 2 wrenches, tighten the nuts to press the bearings into the rolling pin slowly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-01-2020, 05:46 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
soak the rolling pin in water for a few days - it will swell.

The hole will also swell - becoming larger in ID. (yes - its counter-intuitive, we did this with steel and heat back in Engineering School)

Freezing trick only works on fine tolerances - which is not your situation.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-01-2020, 05:56 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
IMHO, there's a big difference between .759 and .698 - almost a full 1/16th. I remember the expansion thing that Kiwi_Outdoors is talking about from High School Physics class. No way did I believe that the I.D. of that washer would get bigger when heated, but sure as hell it did.

My concern with the rolling pin that would concern me is that if the rolling pin does swell enough to get the bearing in, I'm wondering if the rolling pin might crack when the wood dries and shrinks back.

By the way, if I were going to all this trouble, I'd get new bearings... Sealed ones.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-01-2020, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Attached are more pictures.
We had this rolling pin when I was kid, so it is 40+ years old. It's my brothers pin now, he left it here over christmas. (yes, I'm just finally getting around to it)
The brand is “Folley”. I don't think you're suppose to submerge the rolling pin in water, but you know, kids. It should only have a damp cloth type cleaning.
I like the sanding and threaded rod idea to seat the bearings. That will be my first step.
The water-swelling idea seems a bit more of a risk. My history with water and wood is: bad things happen. I'm not sure of the type of wood.
I did look at mcmaster for some bearings. It is a 0.75” outer diameter, 0.25” ID, and a width of 0.25”. What I could not find was a bearing with a tapered(?) edge on one side, like these have.
Thanks for the great feedback.
Matt M.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	all_3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	393313  

Name:	all_2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	393315  

Name:	all_1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	393317  

post #7 of 18 Old 08-01-2020, 08:02 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Matt - have you tried putting it back together without the bearings ?
it looks like the handles "might" fit securely in the roller's recess.
(just thinking out loud here).

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-01-2020, 09:21 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Ditch the old ball bearings!

I would use all plastic bearings like Delrin or cutting board material. Get a cheap HDPE cutting board at the dollar store, you'll use it for other projects. A hole saw will make a slug that you can spin in a drill to sand to get the final OD. Let the wood DRY out! Them make your bearings a pres fit, trial and error with let you know when you are close. The ID hole can be what ever the rod size is. The end result will be trouble free and water proof.
gmercer_48083 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-01-2020 at 11:09 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-01-2020, 10:37 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I would do two things.
1 ~ Use some 220 grit sandpaper to create a slight chamfer on each hole.
2 ~ Use a parallel jaw type clamp to ease the bearings into place. A Bessie or Jet clamp.

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY
post #10 of 18 Old 08-02-2020, 06:28 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have never before seen or heard of a rolling pin with bearings. Interesting.

George
gmercer_48083 likes this.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-02-2020, 06:37 AM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
just a gimmick at the time. Because the bearings could rust then design dropped.
These days bearings would be Teflon or Nylon.
Not really necessary at all in a rolling pin.
johnep
post #12 of 18 Old 08-02-2020, 08:53 AM

You guys are obviously not familiar with competitive pie making where speed is essential and the baker with the fastest rolling pin rules! &#x1f609;

Seriously though, I think it’s going to be a lot of work to sand enough out of the wood to make those bearings fit.

I noticed McMaster-Carr makes a bearing with a 1/4” I.D. and 11/16 O.D. It would be a much easier fit.

I agree with those who say a delrin bearing would work fine. If you want to go with delrin, I have a piece of delrin laying around and I’d be happy to have a go at making you a set of whatever O.D. you’d like.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-02-2020, 12:04 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
You guys are obviously not familiar with competitive pie making where speed is essential and the baker with the fastest rolling pin rules! &#x1f609;

Seriously though, I think it’s going to be a lot of work to sand enough out of the wood to make those bearings fit.

I noticed McMaster-Carr makes a bearing with a 1/4” I.D. and 11/16 O.D. It would be a much easier fit.

I agree with those who say a delrin bearing would work fine. If you want to go with delrin, I have a piece of delrin laying around and I’d be happy to have a go at making you a set of whatever O.D. you’d like.
You mean the best tasting pie isn't important as long as you make it the fastest? I'd stick with mud pies in that case.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-02-2020, 12:36 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Marble rolling pins have ball bearings. My father-in-law bought a marble rolling pin for candy making. He also used it for regular baking, like pizza. The cooking pros on TV seem to prefer tapered "dowel" pins with no handles.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-02-2020, 01:04 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
time for a reality check.
wood dries/shrinks/cracks over time.

the tapered outer ring of the original is not likely still in production. once upon a time the industry made billions of "custom" designs. those days are gone.

I'd look for a stainless steel sealed (-2RS or similar) bearing and carefully sand out the rolling pin to match.
see:
https://www.mcmaster.com/stainless-steel-bearings/

forcing a heavy press fit using all-thread and washers/nuts would be my absolute dead last choice.

the odds of splitting the rolling pin - immediately or later - using such force are very high.

if one options to "preserve the original" I'd still go with a gentle sanding to increase the pin diameter to fit the original (tapered) bearings.
didn't do the math - somebody said it's 1/16" on the diameter - that'd be 1/32" on the radius - not a herculean task....
I note also some fuzz/pebbles on the rolling pin ID - sanding off the 'loose stuff' may be enough...?
post #16 of 18 Old 08-02-2020, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

The portion of the handles nearest the rolling pin are 0.98”. So, a little large.
The Delrin is a good option. I like the idea of not rusting and cheap. (the center shaft is still going to rust, but that could be replaced with a stainless rod) A couple of small screws could be used to hold the delrin bearing replacement in the recessed area. Bearings are overkill. But, having said that, I went ahead with bearings. “preserve the original”
Some 60 grit sandpaper was wrapped around a flat head screwdriver tip. My right hand held the screwdriver/sandpaper and my left hand rolled the rolling pin back and forth on the tabletop. It took maybe 10 or 15 minutes of rolling on each side to get the hole diameter up to about 0.73”. The threaded rod/washer squeeze worked great. No problems there and no danger of the bearings falling out. Attached are some pictures.
Thanks for all of the help/feedback. It's nice to have a successful refurb.
Matt M.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inserted.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	393331  

Name:	pressed.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	393333  

Name:	pressing.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	393335  

Name:	assembled.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	393337  

post #17 of 18 Old 08-02-2020, 05:31 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
I have a local 'restoration' shop.
he does beautiful work.
costs a bundle but he does beautiful work.

you've got your original rolling pin, with the original bearings, with the original handles -
splendid work!
post #18 of 18 Old 08-02-2020, 07:08 PM

Nice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode