Powermatic 719 floor model mortiser - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-18-2014, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

View chicago's Photo Album My Photos
Powermatic 719 floor model mortiser

Would like to hear from those who have had some experience with Powermatic mortisers. I need to do a lot of 2-1/2" mortises and would like to avoid the bench models. I used to have a Delta and it was more trouble than it was worth. That was approx. 15 years or so ago, so they may have improved but I am not certain of that.

All comments are most welcome.

Thanks,
Phillip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-18-2014, 09:12 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Powerrmatic bench mortiser

I have the 701 bench type, voted best by Wood Magazine. That being said I found it much easier to make mortises using a straight bit, and a plunge router. Then you can either square up the corners or round over the tenons.

Loose mortises, Festool has that type, are probably the easiest of all. The HCM is sorta a pain to use, requires a large starting force on the first cut, then it gets easier as you overlap the following cuts. Here's a thread that will help:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/h...r-worth-42049/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 5 Old 09-18-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

View chicago's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I have the 701 bench type, voted best by Wood Magazine. That being said I found it much easier to make mortises using a straight bit, and a plunge router. Then you can either square up the corners or round over the tenons.

Loose mortises, Festool has that type, are probably the easiest of all. The HCM is sorta a pain to use, requires a large starting force on the first cut, then it gets easier as you overlap the following cuts. Here's a thread that will help:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/h...r-worth-42049/
My whole issue with the router was depth of the mortise - 1" at best with the bits I have. I almost always use floating tenons as it saves on expensive wood stock.

Earlier today, I ordered the PM 719T floor model because the mortises that I need to make are approx. 1-3/4" in depth. However, I canceled that order and will try the Onsrud carbide 5/16" bit with bushing first. These bits (Lee Valley) are 3" in length and hopefully, this will do the job for me. Squaring up the corner's is a no-brainer. I will see how this goes when the order arrives. If it does not work, then I will re-order the PM and move on.

Thanks for your comments and the link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-18-2014, 11:01 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I use a bench type model mounted to a stand and it works great!! I've made hundreds of mortises on it, and couldn't imagine not having it for what I build. One of these days I intend on swapping it out for a powermatic or jet mortiser.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #5 of 5 Old 09-19-2014, 12:08 AM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
I built the mortise machine a few years ago. It cuts any mortise and is only limited on the size of the router bit. A 3" long by 2" deep cut takes about 20 seconds. There isn't any strain on the router because you make fast shallow cuts. Having the bit horizontal allows you to work with long stock.

There are many units out there and I would recommend this type of method over the vertical mortise machines due to the speed and versatility. It's also a very accurate clean finished cut.

Al

Name:  image-2386717509.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  69.9 KB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1168545635.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	99703  

Last edited by Al B Thayer; 09-19-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode