Possible print for Clock Face - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 6 Old 07-20-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Creator of Sawdust

View Ed'sGarage's Photo Album My Photos
Possible print for Clock Face

I'd like to make a few clocks. Buy a few clock movements and mount them behind an appropriate piece of hard wood. I'd like to use some computer graphics for which I have files. Print them and laminate them to the wood for the clock face. I'm wondering if I need to plastic laminate them after printing or finish them with an epoxy or varnish to protect the finish. Then of course, if I decided to finish them with some type of liquid finish, will the paper stand up to the finish or destroy it. Any one ever done this and what paper, finish, etc have you used ? What experience do you have with laminating the substrate to the wood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-20-2018, 01:54 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Art supply stores will have UV inhibitor sprays, and spray adhesives made for mounting paper, both made for this purpose.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #3 of 6 Old 07-20-2018, 02:21 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Is paper as good thing to hide all the wood grain?
I'm positive that you can buy clock number sets in different sizes and fonts.
StewMac might even have an inlay set in Mother-of-Pearl.

Then do a fabulous job of finishing a really striking piece of wood.
Add all the hardware and the clock movement.

Like the burl clock on my dining room wall.
Has to be 1/4" thick transparent finish on the wood face.

Ike was a homestead rancher, died a few years back, finished all his furniture bits like that.
Never showed anybody how he did it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-20-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Creator of Sawdust

View Ed'sGarage's Photo Album My Photos
Robson, all good info, but what I'm trying to accomplish is the file that I'm printing out is a caricature of a musician that I would like as the face of the clock, so I'm looking to protect the image after it is printed and laminated. Up to the application on the wood, I've got it. I'm trying to determine what the best finish is to put on the print and whether or not I can use normal paper or if I should use something else; i.e. maybe photo paper or have Office Max film laminate the finish.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-20-2018, 05:11 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
For a sharp image I would use matte photo paper, check Staples theirs is quite reasonable and good quality.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #6 of 6 Old 07-20-2018, 09:37 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed'sGarage View Post
I'd like to make a few clocks. Buy a few clock movements and mount them behind an appropriate piece of hard wood. I'd like to use some computer graphics for which I have files. Print them and laminate them to the wood for the clock face. I'm wondering if I need to plastic laminate them after printing or finish them with an epoxy or varnish to protect the finish. Then of course, if I decided to finish them with some type of liquid finish, will the paper stand up to the finish or destroy it. Any one ever done this and what paper, finish, etc have you used ? What experience do you have with laminating the substrate to the wood?
I have just made a clock face from a photograph. I put the image in my computer and printed it on computer paper and applied it to the clock face with some spray adhesive. Then used a water based polyurethane to protect it. A water based finish or any acrylic finish will seal paper without altering the appearance very much and also will remain clear without yellowing. Oil based finishes will yellow as well as nitrocellulose lacquer.
hawkeye10 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Ed'sGarage (07-21-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode