Portable Table Saws. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-29-2015, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Wayne
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 454
View BaldEagle2012's Photo Album My Photos
Portable Table Saws.

I plan on down sizing my table saw and jointer when I get to my new place in the Fl. panhandle. So I have been researching Dewalt, Kobalt, Porter Cable and Ridgid. Checking reviews on line and those that have the HomeTools & Hardware Power Tools Saws Table Saws
DEWALT Model # DWE7480, say you can't use a DADO blade with that saw. Does anyone know the reason for this? I do a lot with my dado and rabbit blades. If I can't use them on this TS, it would be useless to me.
Reviews on the Porter Cable say dado blades can be used, but you need to order the insert. For this saw can one make a dado insert as many of us have made for the standard table saws?
BaldEagle2012 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 09-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
View ErikG's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Bosch folding TS and love it. I USD s dado blade with no problem. It's out of my wife's way in the garage keeps her happy. I made my RT the same night for a out feed table
ErikG is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ErikG For This Useful Post:
BaldEagle2012 (09-29-2015)
post #3 of 10 Old 09-29-2015, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 4,896
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Many of the portable saws are not powerful enough to cut dados so they come with a shortened arbor making it impossible to install more than 1/4" wide blade arrangement.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
FrankC is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
BaldEagle2012 (09-29-2015), mikeswoods (09-30-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 09-29-2015, 12:17 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 25,301
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
portable, job site vs worksite

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-10-Wor...item4183583b36

A work site saw is what I would get. I have the older Bosch 4000 and it's a great saw. It will accept dado blades,has side and rear extensions, a gravity drop or separate foldup stand, a decent fence and enough power for ripping wet PT 2 X 6's. It's light enough to move around by a single person, and can be stored on a shelf if need be.

The newer model is the 4100-09:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-10-Wor...item5b1827558e

The smaller the table as on the portable saws, the more difficult to crosscut wider piece, since they don't fit between the blade and miter gauge easily if at all.
Other issues are stability, limited power etc.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #5 of 10 Old 09-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,883
View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Great advice from all previous posts! Don't recall what type/size of TS you have, and how much room you have in your FL place. Consider keeping your present TS until you get your "shop" organized, as you may find it will with some modification fit in, which is IMO much cheaper than buying a new TS. Get some chart/graph paper and do a floor plan layout of where to put your "toys". Be safe.
woodchux is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to woodchux For This Useful Post:
BaldEagle2012 (10-03-2015)
post #6 of 10 Old 09-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Senior Member
 
MT Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Channelview, Tx
Posts: 2,642
View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldEagle2012 View Post
I plan on down sizing my table saw and jointer when I get to my new place in the Fl. panhandle. So I have been researching Dewalt, Kobalt, Porter Cable and Ridgid. Checking reviews on line and those that have the HomeTools & Hardware Power Tools Saws Table Saws
DEWALT Model # DWE7480, say you can't use a DADO blade with that saw. Does anyone know the reason for this? I do a lot with my dado and rabbit blades. If I can't use them on this TS, it would be useless to me.
Reviews on the Porter Cable say dado blades can be used, but you need to order the insert. For this saw can one make a dado insert as many of us have made for the standard table saws?
I bought one recently. The problem is it has a short arbor.
However, I did attach two 7 1/4 inch circular saw blades and a shim from my dado set and it worked perfect to cut grooves for drawer bottoms (17 in all). See attached pics. I don't know if I can go as wide as 1/2 inch and still have enough threads for the washer and nut. But that is OK. I usually use an exact width dado jig and a pattern bit in my router to cut dadoes.

Disclaimer: I bought this saw to use on site for a kitchen remodel. If I need to cut any sheet goods, I will use my track saw.

Note that there is a big difference in the size of a portable compact table saw and the big guys!

But it does fold up and store nicely when mounted on it's stand.

I was lucky enough to catch CPO when they were discounting the refurbished saw and the folding stand was on sale new. So, I have $420 tied up in the combo.

Hope you find this info helpful.
Mike
Attached Images
     
MT Stringer is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
BaldEagle2012 (09-29-2015)
post #7 of 10 Old 09-29-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Wayne
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 454
View BaldEagle2012's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
Great advice from all previous posts! Don't recall what type/size of TS you have, and how much room you have in your FL place. Consider keeping your present TS until you get your "shop" organized, as you may find it will with some modification fit in, which is IMO much cheaper than buying a new TS. Get some chart/graph paper and do a floor plan layout of where to put your "toys". Be safe.
I am not in Fl, yet, but the places I am looking at have either a 2 car garage or an outbuilding about the same as a single car garage. My sports car has to have one side of the garage. The truck can stay outside.

I am also looking at the weight of transporting the older sears I have. with the work I do now, a smaller saw would be better, and the folding ones even better.

Last edited by BaldEagle2012; 09-29-2015 at 09:13 PM.
BaldEagle2012 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BaldEagle2012 For This Useful Post:
woodchux (09-30-2015)
post #8 of 10 Old 09-29-2015, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Wayne
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 454
View BaldEagle2012's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Many of the portable saws are not powerful enough to cut dados so they come with a shortened arbor making it impossible to install more than 1/4" wide blade arrangement.
I can live with using a rabbit blade set up for dados. Two passes or three is just as good.

thanks.
BaldEagle2012 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 09-29-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Wayne
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 454
View BaldEagle2012's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-10-Wor...item4183583b36

A work site saw is what I would get. I have the older Bosch 4000 and it's a great saw. It will accept dado blades,has side and rear extensions, a gravity drop or separate foldup stand, a decent fence and enough power for ripping wet PT 2 X 6's. It's light enough to move around by a single person, and can be stored on a shelf if need be.

The newer model is the 4100-09:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-10-Wor...item5b1827558e

The smaller the table as on the portable saws, the more difficult to crosscut wider piece, since they don't fit between the blade and miter gauge easily if at all.
Other issues are stability, limited power etc.
My crosscut sled should work for that saw.
BaldEagle2012 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 09-30-2015, 01:35 PM
Senior Member
 
NickDIY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 435
View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
I have a Bosch folding TS and love it. I USD s dado blade with no problem. It's out of my wife's way in the garage keeps her happy. I made my RT the same night for a out feed table
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Another vote for the Bosch 4100. I've cut hundreds of feet of 3/4" dado's with one. The Bosch gravity stand is the best out of all of the portable stands out there. You can readily get built-in table extensions, dado blade inserts and zero clearance inserts.
NickDIY is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to NickDIY For This Useful Post:
BaldEagle2012 (10-03-2015)
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
portable table saw, for precise woodworking. upgrades? Treesner Power Tools & Machinery 32 09-12-2015 01:31 AM
High Gloss Table Top Leo G Project Showcase 17 08-24-2015 09:12 AM
Table saws Steve Neul Power Tools & Machinery 4 08-20-2015 12:06 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome