poplar wood crib smell - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 08-05-2013, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

View emilync's Photo Album My Photos
poplar wood crib smell

I recently (4 months ago) purchased a crib made of 100% solid poplar wood. Every now and then I notice an odor in the nursery since I put the crib up. Should I be concerned about this? Is it normal for this piece of furniture to give off a smell? I can not distinguish the smell to tell if it is the stain or wood. Please help. I am just worried that It may be off-gassing something harmful to breath.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-05-2013, 03:58 PM

View bluespook's Photo Album My Photos
I've never noticed any odor from poplar, so I'd say the wood is no threat. Since I have no idea about the finish, I can't comment. Sorry.

Blue
post #3 of 5 Old 08-05-2013, 06:34 PM

View ed_h's Photo Album My Photos
I've noticed a smell sometimes with poplar. Smells a little like urine to me. I don't think it's harmful, and it will dissipate with time.

For just a little more, you can do it yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 09:18 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
Peoples ability to perceive odors varies a lot, and I'm clearly less able that mostB but I've never noticed an odor from poplar. But with a finish on it it's hard for me to imagine that anyone would notice an odor from it....is it possible that it's the finish you're reacting too?

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If the odor is that mild you can only tell it from time to time I wouldn't worry about it. The smell would have to be the finish or perhaps the plastic matt if you are using that. At that volume it wouldn't harm the baby. One thing you could do is when the crib is not in use you could put a window fan blowing on it. The ventilation will dry out the offgassing better than anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode