Poly on wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-18-2014, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

View JOHNPUTNAM's Photo Album My Photos
Poly on wood

Recently added a layer of poly to my coffee table in an effort to protect against water stains and dog claws. It looks like crap! It's so obvious that I simply added a layer of "plastic" and ruins the looks and feel of the wood. Any advice for next time? Oils? Grease? What. ? I'm new to real furniture ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using woodworkingtalk.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNPUTNAM
Recently added a layer of poly to my coffee table in an effort to protect against water stains and dog claws. It looks like crap! It's so obvious that I simply added a layer of "plastic" and ruins the looks and feel of the wood. Any advice for next time? Oils? Grease? What. ? I'm new to real furniture ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using woodworkingtalk.com
Wiping varnish. 4 to 6 coats. Rub it out. Paste wax. Train the dog and children to use coasters.

Poly has been shoved down our throats as if the wood requires a Ft Knox strength finish and we raise monsters in the home. Who's the boss?

Al

post #3 of 4 Old 09-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Ah, poly, the classic woodworking trap. Durable finish, but leaves the wood feeling plasticky. Mostly because its plastic. Anyway though, next times finish really depends on bow durable you need the finish. For example, my personal favorite wood finish is shellac, but its really not the strongest thing in the world. Laquer usually gets high marks in durability, especially the pre-cat stuff, but I can't speak from experience on how it makes the wood feel. The best advise for a finish I can think of is grab some scrap and a few different finishes and try them out. See how you like the application process, how you like the feel of the finish. Take some sandpaper to it, see how it holds up. Get a feel for the different finishes, that way next time you have a nice little knowledge base to fall back on

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Hey it's too bad we all don't tell the manufacturers to stop pushing the plastic and give someR and D $ to perfecting our best finishes. Hint hint, water is not the answer.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode