7Likes
  • 2 Post By Chris Curl
  • 3 Post By Echo415
  • 2 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 11 Old 02-14-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

View vanAdamme's Photo Album My Photos
Question Pocket screws in 1-1/4" oak

Hi all,

I am planning on assembling a towel rack out of 1-1/4" by 1-1/4" Tasmanian oak. I'd like to use pocket screws but I'm a bit confused. This link says to use 2" screws. This link says that Kreg don't make 2" fine screws for hardwood, but it only offers a solution for wood thicker than 1-1/2".

What size screws should I be using for this? Also, should I use one screw per join, or is there enough room for two?

Cheers,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 07:26 AM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
Follow the advice of the 2nd link...you just wont have the pocket hole centered. Oak is a PITA to drive long screws into without pre-drilling, I'd also be concerned about twisting off a screw. If you really wanted to do it, just use a coarse thread screw, pre-drill everything, and lubricate the threads with soap or wax.

As for 1 or 2 screws...a picture would help but you should be able to get by with 1
post #3 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 11:11 AM

View Jerry8888's Photo Album My Photos
Check to see if these will work with Kreg pocket holes. https://armor-tool.com/product/armor...ws-50-package/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 01:28 PM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
Personally, I have a great distaste for things made with pocket screws. I would avoid them at all cost. I can maybe see commercial people using them for cheap projects, but for projects for myself or my friends, I would never use them.

Perhaps that is just me, and perhaps this not relevant. Please feel free to disregard this comment.
Tony B and Tool Agnostic like this.

... turning perfectly good wood into firewood every day ... :smile3:
post #5 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
Personally, I have a great distaste for things made with pocket screws. I would avoid them at all cost. I can maybe see commercial people using them for cheap projects, but for projects for myself or my friends, I would never use them.

Perhaps that is just me, and perhaps this not relevant. Please feel free to disregard this comment.
Oddly enough, I use pocket holes most often when I'm doing framing work...they work great when installing plywood or blocking between studs, lol
post #6 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 11:37 PM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo415 View Post
Oddly enough, I use pocket holes most often when I'm doing framing work...they work great when installing plywood or blocking between studs, lol
Would you use them for something like a towel rack?

... turning perfectly good wood into firewood every day ... :smile3:
post #7 of 11 Old 02-16-2019, 07:53 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

I watched my neighbor construct a dining table and benches, a living room TV stand, and a bookcase for his daughter, all in one afternoon. He used construction lumber (2x4s, 2x6s, and 4x4s), a miter saw, and pocket screws. No real measuring, no glue, no muss, no fuss. There was not much sanding or finish. No attempt was made to orient or mount the boards to hide the milling stamps. (For that matter, no attempt was made to design for future wood movement, either.)

The furniture was primitive, but reasonably sturdy. The daughter had not given any real notice that she was moving out, but the furniture was done and ready in an afternoon. I was not impressed with the look of the furniture, but I was very impressed with the efficiency with which it was made and its suitability to purpose.

When all was said and done, I felt bad about how I felt while he was constructing it. I praised his work and woodworking skills appropriately, but in my own mind, I was silently critical about his use of pocket screws, the lack of glue, proper joinery, or proper finish, the lack of consideration for wood movement, and the overall crudeness and primitiveness of it all.

Later, thinking about it more, I felt that I had unfairly judged him. He had delivered exactly what his "customer" wanted, in blazingly fast time, at ultra-low cost. The thick construction lumber made it strong and sturdy. He was very efficient. He could build entire suites of furniture in the time it takes me to plan one cut.

So ... I continually strive to keep an open mind, and that should include pocket screws. I don't use them on principle, but that shouldn't stop me, because I have no principles. ;-)
Shop_Rat and NoThankyou like this.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-16-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Would you use them for something like a towel rack?
Possibly...depends on whether the pockets would show. I'm not opposed to pocket hole joinery but there are usually prettier alternatives.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-18-2019, 04:28 PM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
I like pocket hole joinery, especially when it eliminates clamping. Often the glue is the strength of the joint. You don't say if this is face grain to face grain or end grain to face grain. You don't say if you are using glue or not.

Dowels plus glue and pocket screws to do the clamping makes for a very strong joint.

Confirmat screws function as screws and as dowels and make a strong joint too, especially when you are screwing into the edge of plywood, or particle board or solid lumber. It requires a special drill bit, but it is worlds better than drywall screws and much stronger than construction screws (for shear and racking). Both construction screws and confirmats have excellent pull out strength.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-19-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

View vanAdamme's Photo Album My Photos
It will be face to end grain, and will include glue.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-19-2019, 08:35 AM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
If you add biscuits or dowels to the joint the undersized pocket screws will make a strong joint. Dowels are going to be stronger than biscuits.

Tags
kreg, oak, pocket screws

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode