4Likes
  • 1 Post By Toolman50
  • 1 Post By GeneT
  • 1 Post By allpurpose
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 20 Old 05-23-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

View jtiffany83's Photo Album My Photos
Pneumatic Nail Guns

I'm new to building furniture and have always used screws and the kreg jigs and screws to build tables and bed frames. But, I received a Rigid 2 1/2" angled finisher nailer for my birthday and I want to know if that can be used to build furniture? Or, is there a better pneumatic nailer to use while building furniture.

Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-23-2016, 05:32 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Jtiffany83,
I sold pneumatic nailing and stapling equipment for many years so I'm very pro nail guns. Having said that, there is very little use for a 2 1/2" nailer when building fine furniture. It can be used for Rustic furniture. The 2 1/2" nailer (1 1/4"-2 1/2") is primarily used to trim out a house for most all interior trim. Base mold, crown mold, closet shelving, window and door trim.
Homemade kitchen and bath cabinetry.
It's a great tool, but just not on fine furniture.
sweensdv likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Last edited by Toolman50; 05-23-2016 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #3 of 20 Old 05-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Plus 1 to above.Brad nailers occasionally,pin nailers a little more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Nine Thumbs

View Shop_Rat's Photo Album My Photos
Plus Two above. I have all of them from framing to pin. I use my 18 gauge brad nailer ten fold more than anything else. But the 2 1/2" is second to none for trimming out a house post haste!

Another $000,000,000.02 worth of advice,
Mark
post #5 of 20 Old 05-23-2016, 08:48 PM
Raindrop Counter

View Jammersix's Photo Album My Photos
Depends on whether or not you build with torsion boxes. Nail guns are perfect for torsion boxes.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelley, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to recognize that an LZ was too hot, moments before before being killed by a single shot, July 1, 1964.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-26-2016, 01:56 AM

View GeneT's Photo Album My Photos
The previous posters have given you excellent advice. I'd just like to add that I usually use brad and pin nailers to "clamp" pieces while the adhesive sets.
MT Stringer likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-26-2016, 02:36 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiffany83 View Post
I'm new to building furniture and have always used screws and the kreg jigs and screws to build tables and bed frames. But, I received a Rigid 2 1/2" angled finisher nailer for my birthday and I want to know if that can be used to build furniture? Or, is there a better pneumatic nailer to use while building furniture.

Thanks for all the help.
I've never used a Rigid nailer before but there is only one brand I've had any trouble with and that was porter cable. I currently have a Paslode 16ga nailer I've been using for nearly 30 years, a Bostitch framing nailer, a spotnail corrugated fastener nailer and three Harbor Freight nailers and staplers. If it were me I would use the Rigid until it gives you reason not to.

The porter cable nailer kept breaking off drivers which were expensive to replace. It didn't take long to figure out that gun was too expensive to keep. I think I could have bought a HF nailer cheaper than what the driver cost.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-26-2016, 04:25 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Funny thing..I was watching a John Heisz video wondering what is the typical gauge nail most woodworkers might use with an air nailer and decided to ask here and *DING*! Someone already did. In fact it was the first thread on recent posts thingy..
You guys gotta stop reading my mind..it's becoming quite disturbing.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #9 of 20 Old 05-29-2016, 08:30 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiffany83 View Post

Thanks for all the help.
You won't find much use for it in furniture but will in cabinetry with a smaller length. There's a large jump from cabinetry and furniture when considering its use...
post #10 of 20 Old 05-30-2016, 12:00 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I have nail guns ranging from a framing nailer to a 18 gauge nailer. Nail guns are incredibly useful. You'll find a use for it.
post #11 of 20 Old 05-30-2016, 10:52 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
A lot of cheap upholstered furniture is stapled together.
You won't find this type of construction on high end furniture.
Good furniture may have 18 gauge nails or smaller to apply some moldings.
Brads smaller than 18 gauge are commonly called pins. Pins come in both headed and headless styles. A headless pin has less holding power but can hardly be seen in finished furniture.
post #12 of 20 Old 05-30-2016, 11:22 PM
Uncle Fester

View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
As mentioned above- furniture and finish nailers don't mix very well. I have a angled finish bailer I use a lot for attaching house trim, base and I used it to attach beaded board on a ceiling. Good tool for the tool arsenal but I don't use it for furniture.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-31-2016, 07:56 AM

View aardvark's Photo Album My Photos
I tend to disagree some.
I use 2 1/2" nails for securing furniture parts while the gluing is going on and then later I finish with screws or lag bolts, depending on the application. It helps with my assembly. What I like is the nail holes are so minimal and recessed it's easy to hide their heads when I finish the pieces.
I do "live edge" furniture and in some circumstances I leave the bark on the wood. I will use 1 1/4" nails to secure the bark every 2" o.c., and then coat it over with epoxy. The bark then becomes permanent.
And there are other appplications and uses for a trim nailer.

I have 4 nailers in my arsenal.
Paslode impulse framer.
Paslode impulse trim gun
Bostich air straight line trim nailer.
Bosthch air staple gun (never used it.)
post #14 of 20 Old 11-22-2016, 12:06 AM

So much for my temporary faith in Harbor Freight nailers/staplers.. mine seems permanently jammed up. I took it apart and had it working fine for 2 nails before it really jammed. Now an entire row of nails is jammed in.. I suppose I'll spend tomorrow searching for the receipt. I have bad habits about keeping records and receipts..
It worked great up until tonight.. it never missed a beat, but now? Trash.. I'm guessing it's because it was coming in just too darn handy lately.
Kerrys likes this.

Impressive, huh?
post #15 of 20 Old 11-22-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
So much for my temporary faith in Harbor Freight nailers/staplers.. mine seems permanently jammed up. I took it apart and had it working fine for 2 nails before it really jammed. Now an entire row of nails is jammed in.. I suppose I'll spend tomorrow searching for the receipt. I have bad habits about keeping records and receipts..
It worked great up until tonight.. it never missed a beat, but now? Trash.. I'm guessing it's because it was coming in just too darn handy lately.
What model was it? I have four nailers, which one lasted for more than a decade before it quit. It's probably just O rings somewhere but not worth the time and trouble working on it. About 20 bucks and I can have a new one.
post #16 of 20 Old 11-23-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
What model was it? I have four nailers, which one lasted for more than a decade before it quit. It's probably just O rings somewhere but not worth the time and trouble working on it. About 20 bucks and I can have a new one.
I actually found the receipt (18 gauge 2 in 1 nailer/stapler)and exchanged it for one that was assembled much better and it's working great. The old one seemed to be just too sloppy, but the newer one has no slop and when I took it apart to grind down the tip it was like a completely different nailer..Same model and everything, but a whole different nailer.
Anyway, is there a difference in nails that can be used in these harbor freight nailers? I'm aware of gauge and sizes, but are these HF nailers particularly picky as to any brand of nails? I guess I'm asking is should any off the shelf brand work as long as they're the proper guage/size?

Impressive, huh?
post #17 of 20 Old 11-23-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
I actually found the receipt (18 gauge 2 in 1 nailer/stapler)and exchanged it for one that was assembled much better and it's working great. The old one seemed to be just too sloppy, but the newer one has no slop and when I took it apart to grind down the tip it was like a completely different nailer..Same model and everything, but a whole different nailer.
Anyway, is there a difference in nails that can be used in these harbor freight nailers? I'm aware of gauge and sizes, but are these HF nailers particularly picky as to any brand of nails? I guess I'm asking is should any off the shelf brand work as long as they're the proper guage/size?
I've had one of those for a number of years. I quit trying to use it for nails as the driver hit hard enough to make a hole like a staple. I just use it for staples now.
MT Stringer likes this.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-23-2016, 10:30 PM

I found a fix for the wide marks the harbor freight 18 gauge 2-1 nailer leaves. It's temporary and probably not the greatest idea, but it works.. Slide in a brad in the slot as in the picture and bend it over. It keeps the safety mechanisms from completely depressing and leaves the brad almost perfectly flush with the surface..
Someone on YouTube uses a zip tie, but I've misplaced my gigantic bag of those and tried a 1 1/4 inch brad and voila! It works.

Impressive, huh?
post #19 of 20 Old 11-23-2016, 10:37 PM

I use nails in furniture however after I get done finishing you would have to look really hard to find them.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-23-2016, 11:38 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I've had one of those for a number of years. I quit trying to use it for nails as the driver hit hard enough to make a hole like a staple. I just use it for staples now.
Me 2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode