Plywood floon in screened porch - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 07-26-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

View mccarrison's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy Plywood floon in screened porch

I'm a newbie to your forum and I'm afraid I have no knowledge to share, but I'm hoping some of you will be kind enough to give me some good advice.

I recently bought a house with a screened porch built on the back (off the kitchen). It is about 4 feet off the ground and has lattice work between the porch floor and the ground. It's completely covered by a roof and is screened in on the 3 sides not attached to the house.

The plywood floor was painted with gray deck paint, but the paint is peeling and when it rains, water puddles on the deck. The plywood won't last long this way and I want to do something to make the situation better. I've thought about using concrete leveler on the plywood and then finishing it with the product that is used on garage floors.--that stuff you roller on and put black/gray flecks on top and seal.

My objective is to make the floor of the screen porch easy to clean and waterproof. Can you offer any suggestions?? I'm so clueless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 PM

View jraksdhs's Photo Album My Photos
hmmm

How is water puddling on the floor if there is a roof? If it were me I'd fix the water issues and maybe replace the floor with PT deck boards. Posting some pics would probably be a good idea. good luck
post #3 of 6 Old 07-26-2009, 10:08 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
"...............It's completely covered by a roof and is screened in on the 3 sides not attached to the house."

Just a wild guess, but I think the rain is coming through the screening.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

View mccarrison's Photo Album My Photos
Question plywood floor on screened porch

Yes, the water is coming in through the screens when it rains. And that will continue to happen, but I'm trying to think of some way to protect the plywood, or to cover it with another material that not be affected by the moisture. Any suggestions?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarrison View Post
Yes, the water is coming in through the screens when it rains. And that will continue to happen, but I'm trying to think of some way to protect the plywood, or to cover it with another material that not be affected by the moisture. Any suggestions?
I have used a fabric material that you glue down onto the plywood. It is a textured vinyl with a fabric backing. I can't remember the name of the material right now, but many building supply stores carry it. It generally comes in rolls six feet wide, and comes in a variety of colours. The material I used on the deck of my former home proved to be very durable.

Gerry
post #6 of 6 Old 07-27-2009, 12:34 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
OK you will always have rain coming threw the screen so besides sealing the deck you need to worry about getting the water off the deck. If the porch is screened it has a bottom plate I'm assuming and unless you have a place for the water to drain you will always have water somewhere. Sealing the deck is the easy part since the coating your talking about is an epoxy paint.

If you can provide some pictures especially of where the water is pooling it would help us help you. Try and measure the fall of the floor. If the floor does not have enough fall for the water to drain properly it could be a big part of your problem. To measure the fall put a 4' level one end at the wall laying across the floor you should have to lift the other end to get it level. measure how high you have to lift it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode