Please identify these trim molding profiles - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

View bluebruin's Photo Album My Photos
Please identify these trim molding profiles

I obtained a bunch of these two types of trim molding pieces at an auction. I am going to use the one on the left for my basement as baseboard trim.

What is the intended use of the type of trim on the right? Are these two supposed to fit together like a two piece crown molding or something of the sort? They don't seem to go together.

i want to sell the stuff on the right that I am not using, but don't know how to advertise it.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

The trim board on the left looks like a border board. It's rabbeted to fit over a smaller trim, could be above base moulding, or panels. It has a profiled other side to finish the board. It's likely it was custom made for a specific application. You didn't list the widths, so figuring out what it is or how its used is difficult.

The board on the right looks like a wall panel board, where they are used one then another, for facing, with the overlapping step/rabbet. Could have been a one time run to panel walls.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
jharris2 (09-23-2012)
post #3 of 7 Old 09-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Old School

The more I think about those two, they likely were made to use on the same installation. The one on the right may be referenced to a "shiplapped" moulding...as the way they fit together. An example below as used for siding.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
jharris2 (09-23-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-22-2012, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

View bluebruin's Photo Album My Photos
they do fit together, but you could not make a repeating pattern since one of the pieces only is lapped on one side.

perhaps you use the curvy one in a repeating pattern like siding...

post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebruin View Post
they do fit together, but you could not make a repeating pattern since one of the pieces only is lapped on one side.

perhaps you use the curvy one in a repeating pattern like siding...

The piece at the right would be the last trim piece, as it has a finished edge to end the repeat.

post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Custom stair builder

View Treeoflifestairs.com's Photo Album My Photos
Though they do fit together, they don't look like they go together style wise.

Check out some of my custom stairs
post #7 of 7 Old 09-25-2012, 07:07 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Those are not standard molding profiles, they may be from the same job but don't necessarily go together. They could be from different jobs, too. In architectural woodworking, millwork is detailed by an architect and can be a one of a kind design for a specific job application. The cove profiles could go with something like a flat board that is shiplapped to join with it as part of a paneling system but that's a guess. They could have been used on cabinetry, paneling or trim work. It's common to run extra on such jobs and this may just be leftovers. I would advertise it with a picture and let the buyer figure out a way to use it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode