Plansnow membership? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

View Paul W Gillespie's Photo Album My Photos
Plansnow membership?

I found a site called Plansnow whle looking for mitre saw table plans. It looks like a good plans for a novice like me to get plans for some projects. I am wondering if anyone has a membership their and if the like it. I was looking at the platinum plan for $30 for the year. You get two free books and 20 plan downloads. Seems like a great deal.

So what do you all think? What other sites might be worth a look before I join up.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul W Gillespie View Post
I found a site called Plansnow whle looking for mitre saw table plans. It looks like a good plans for a novice like me to get plans for some projects. I am wondering if anyone has a membership their and if the like it. I was looking at the platinum plan for $30 for the year. You get two free books and 20 plan downloads. Seems like a great deal.

So what do you all think? What other sites might be worth a look before I join up.

Thanks
There are plenty of free plans available if you do a search.

post #3 of 21 Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 PM
The Young Blood

View Locodcdude's Photo Album My Photos
Well IMO I think it's worth it, yeah there are plenty of free ones out there, but the convenience of not having to search for them is nice. 30 for the year sounds like a good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-24-2011, 09:00 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Designing is %75 of the battle the art the skill and the mastery of being a Woodsmith... In my opinion anyway...

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but oh well: I can teach a chimpanzee to use a TS or BS... but no amount of training would ever inspire a chimp to paint the Sistine Chapel...

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #5 of 21 Old 07-24-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

I agree with you that planning is a big part of woodworking Firemedic. I also think that a novice woodworker, like myself, could use a site like Plansnow and the plans they offer to help develop our woodworking design skills. If you have no idea how something is made, it is kind of hard to design something. Well design something that works well. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. Just as most any designer studies the work of previous designers, to learn the craft. Once I have been doing this a bit I am sure I will want to build from my own designs.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
Awhile back, I posted a poll on this forum to see if people designed their own stuff, or always looked for plans.

When I first started, I built my first few items from plans, but quickly learned that the plans that I had didn't fit my needs exactly, so I had to alter them to make them work. I think plans are great for a newer woodworker, because it lets you concentrate on making the accurate cuts, and you don't have to have that(design) distraction in the back of your head, while you are building it. I have been tempted to purchase a deal with plansnow, but was always curious how good the plans were. They do have some awesome ideas, and I have saved some of their links for possible future builds.

IF you do end up getting it, please do a review on how you like their plans.

Fabian

PS this is the first time I tried to "link" a page to a word (poll). I hope it worked.

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-24-2011, 09:31 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
I do understand that position and please believe me when I say I'm in no way trying to act like I'm holier than thou. I'm still learning too.

I absolutely agree that you should learn from those before you. I'm in the process of trying to unlearn from those before me and re-learn from those before THEM!

You really can accomplish your design goals with a few books from your library stored away in your brain and a detailed look at every piece of furniture you see...

I just think that if one becomes reliant on plans it makes for a more difficult time breaking free of that crutch.

...and maybe I'm a bit gilded because the I-net was useless when I learned?... lol

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #8 of 21 Old 07-24-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

At this point I am soaking it all in Firemedic. I have library books, websites and videos I am watching. And it could be a while before I have my shop ready to even build basic cabinets and benches for it, let alone something substantial. My visiting mom thinks I am nuts, she will walk in on me, watching the Wood Whisperer videos online, and look at me like I am watching an adult video. Shake her head and say woodshop stuff again. And I am 41 years old, haha.

Anyway thanks for the input.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
As a fellow novice I too find it helpful to learn from plans. From these I learn techniques, and by building I get to try/practice them. Many of us don't have the benefit of a mentor other than the generous folks here (thank you!) so plans give us a head start in the right direction until we have the experience and library of information in our heads to create from.

I'd love to know if it's worthwhile so I say go for it and let us know what you think! I have enjoyed plans from Wood and Shop Notes and I pay for them so why not?
:-)
post #10 of 21 Old 07-25-2011, 01:35 AM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
I have a membership and have not been disappointed.
The Following User Says Thank You to DST For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (07-25-2011)
post #11 of 21 Old 07-25-2011, 01:54 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
I create my own plans most of the time. I have also modified plans but my concern is most of the pay sites for plans I have heard of were junk. The plans were copied from other people , some were incomplete and I have heard almost all bad reviews of sites similar to this one. I have no idea if it is a rip off or a great resource. I personally would be cautious and use a credit card that will protect you if it's a rip off, some cards or better then others for this.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-25-2011, 01:57 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DST View Post
I have a membership and have not been disappointed.

See there is a good comment on the site that I missed. It took a while to post I kept getting interrupted so maybe we were posting at around the same time to begin with other wise i need new glasses.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-25-2011, 06:50 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I've used PlansNow plans. They mostly originate from the Woodsmith magazine. They are top notch plans and I love being able to download them instantly. I don't have a membership. I just buy one as I go. I'd be hardpressed to find the time to make 30 projects in a year. However, if you find what you like you can just download it for later. Good site.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACP For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (07-25-2011)
post #14 of 21 Old 07-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Is it just me?

Am I weird?

I look at every piece of furniture, every cabinet, every shop fixture and examine the construction details. I don't pick the piece up and in most cases don't even touch the item, but I do look and look very carefully.

It doesn't take much effort to see the details of the joinery of any piece. I've even gone to a furniture store and photographed (With permission) their stock. The manager even referred me to a web page for better details.

The point is that the world is a classroom for furniture / shop fixture design. If you are observant you'll even see what doesn't work. You're a woodworker, look, examine, question, try to answer the questions and repeat the process. It's an education but unfortunately you'll only get out based upon the effort that you put in.

As for plans... The ones from Woodsmith and / or Shop Notes have been actually built. One of their rules is that the items are built in house and then published. Many of the plans at "Plans Now" are from these magazines. The plans are also available directly from the magazines.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-25-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Rich you are not weird, or maybe I am too,

I look at all that stuff and now I have even started looking at the trees in my neighborhood. A family around the corner had cut down what looked to me like a maple tree and I saw about an 8-10 foot log laying in his front yard and I was thinking man that would make some nice wood for me to work with in my shop. When I past later it was cut up into rounds and it is still laying there. I wonder what they are going to do with it.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Mike

View PurpleHeartJarHead's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
... but no amount of training would ever inspire a chimp to paint the Sistine Chapel...

The quote itself is a good one, but neither did Michaelangelo paint the Sistine without first being inspired. He too studied and copied and toiled until his brain was sufficiently wired to create.

We all learn, absorb and create in our own way. We all have strengths and weaknesses and while some have yet to discover them, they will learn in time and with experience.

We all started in the same place...looking at that first tool, drooling and realizing some sort of primal instinct within, and deciding we must create with our hands and brains. We are the "tool makers" of modern day homo sapiens, striving to leave behind some lasting evidence of our existence.

Or...

...we just dig really cool tools!

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
post #17 of 21 Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 PM

View DannyT's Photo Album My Photos
i got tons of plans in pdf format and lots of magazines in pdf also
post #18 of 21 Old 07-26-2011, 12:17 AM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
Plans? You don't need no stinking plans

For me a big part of my enjoyment of woodworking is figuring stuff out from scratch, like a puzzle. I never use other people's plans and prefer to sketch my own or use story sticks. I like doing puzzles in my spare time too.

Try it. You might find you enjoy it too.

Bret
post #19 of 21 Old 07-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartJarHead View Post
The quote itself is a good one, but neither did Michaelangelo paint the Sistine without first being inspired. He too studied and copied and toiled until his brain was sufficiently wired to create.
Just think what Michaelangelo could have accomplished if he had access to plansnow.com!

I certainly have started looking at furniture and other things made of wood (and other materials) in a different way now that I'm trying to build them. It is part of the fun - especially when you start to get a clue what's happening and how these things are held together. I suppose it's easy for woodworkers to recognize each other... we're the ones looking under the table. (er... OK maybe just us new guys. )

As for me, I'm working to complete one of the "plans" projects as a gift and it's been a terrific learning experience. I've also bought materials for my next project which so far exists in my head, inspired by need and some nice things I've seen. I suppose that will be my first departure from a "plan" and using some techniques I've never done before, but I know what I want and am excited about trying.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-26-2011, 01:19 AM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul W Gillespie View Post
My visiting mom thinks I am nuts, she will walk in on me, watching the Wood Whisperer videos online, and look at me like I am watching an adult video. Shake her head and say woodshop stuff again. And I am 41 years old, haha.
Don't feel bad. My MIL looks at everything I've built, plan on building, or even talk about maybe one day building and has the same reaction... "woodshop stuff again"... and I'm going to be 60 in a couple of weeks!

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode