Plans for making Picknic Table............ - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 03-22-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

View pmaru77's Photo Album My Photos
Plans for making Picknic Table............

We want a smallish picnic table for our yard. She wants movable bench seats, and she usually gets what she wants, usually. I'm going to possibly scale it down a bit, but not necessarily, so to build is better than to buy. I would not mind dropping $500 or more on the wood, and type of material is open. I read that cedar is a good choice, but finding cedar of decent quality may be an issue. We have hardwood suppliers in town, and I could go that route if necessary. So first question is .... any plans out there? I'm tired of designing my own stuff and need a brain break. Secondly, wood choices? Thanks in advance..... Phil

This is what the queen likes. It cannot look like a standard picnic table, its gotta have class. What would Rodney Dangerfield say about that? Wood suggestions? Looks like I will have to design it by using a picture. No problem.

Last edited by pmaru77; 03-22-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-22-2018, 06:14 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Do a Google search for "picnic table plans", when results come up click on images and take your pick, just be careful there are some scams from our buddy T3D mixed in the bunch.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #3 of 5 Old 03-22-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

View pmaru77's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Do a Google search for "picnic table plans", when results come up click on images and take your pick, just be careful there are some scams from our buddy T3D mixed in the bunch.

Is T3D the guy that emails me all the time selling or "giving away" plans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-22-2018, 06:45 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaru77 View Post
Is T3D the guy that emails me all the time selling or "giving away" plans?
Yes, just be sure to skip over anything connected to him or anyone else offering 16,cajillion free plans.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #5 of 5 Old 03-22-2018, 07:57 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
As simple as that set is if you like we could help you make your own plans. The type of wood I would recommend would largely depend on what kind of environment it will be in. If it will be out in the direct sun and rain I would prefer pressure treated wood. I built a picnic table about 30 years ago and would still usable. Sort of abandoned the table about 20 years ago. It has no finish or anything on it now but doesn't rot. You can't just go buy pressure treated wood and start building though. When the wood comes into the lumber company it's dripping wet with the chemical they use. If the wood isn't dried first you can experience a lot of warpage problems. I will normally buy the wood a month before I start building.

Cedar or redwood would work fairly well depending on the span of the table. You may have to put some kind of skirt or supports under the table top to prevent it from sagging in the middle. Cypress would also be a good choice.

I would recommend not putting breadboard ends on the top. A picnic table is going to experience a lot more wood movement problems than an interior table. The center of the top will either expand out past the breadboard ends or in time will shrink to the point you will have to trim the breadboard ends to match the table.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode