4Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By Terry Q
  • 1 Post By Toolman50
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 15 Old 11-30-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Planer sniping

Iíve owned only two planers over the years. Both small planers. My first planer was a 1950ís Parks model 12 I bought used in in Ď75. It was a 12Ē and it was a great machine. I should have kept. I sold it because it was big and heavy even for a 12Ē machine. It was mounted on a pipe stand and all together it was almost too heavy to move around in my small shop.
I bought a Porter Cable Model 22-540 a few years ago. Itís light in weight and has a small footprint but it has always sniped the wood. Even if I stand at the exit and control the board, I still get snipe on the last 4Ē.
The problem today seemed even worse than in the past. Do any of you have this same planer? If so, does yours snipe the end of the boards?
If I canít get this resolved somewhat, Iím ready to trade planers again. :frown2:

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-30-2017, 05:38 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Does it have rollers on the bottom of the feed table? If so you might be able to adjust them lower, I have a 20 Grizzly that if you tinker with the bottom rollers, it snipe is almost zero

Another thing you can do is butt a board the same thickness as the board you are planing up tight against it to stop the rollers from pushing down on the board you are planing, it will also about eliminate snipe
The Following User Says Thank You to Catpower For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (11-30-2017)
post #3 of 15 Old 11-30-2017, 06:18 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Snipe is caused by the board raising up after it leaves the front feed roller. If the planer has bottom rollers sometimes you can adjust them to where they are nearly flush with the table. That helps but what would help more is to lift up on the back end of the board so it stays flat on the table. I've got a 24" industrial planer and I get a little snipe sometimes if I don't lift up on the board. I need to build a catch table which is higher in the back than the planer table.
BigJim likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (11-30-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-30-2017, 06:42 PM
The Man

View Masterofnone's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same planer. No bottom rollers. Snipe simply happens on lunchbox planers and there's no getting around it. Run your boards long and trim off the snipe.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-30-2017, 07:19 PM

View canarywood1's Photo Album My Photos
I once had one of them, and did what Catpower suggested, or run the stock long and trim.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-30-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterofnone View Post
I have the same planer. No bottom rollers. Snipe simply happens on lunchbox planers and there's no getting around it. Run your boards long and trim off the snipe.
This has been my method also but I just hate wasting 4Ē off everything I plane. Sometimes I donít have 4Ē to waste. With todayís hardwood prices it gets expensive quick.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #7 of 15 Old 11-30-2017, 09:53 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
If you run a piece of scrap, followed tightly end for end by your workpiece, followed by another scrap, you can eliminate the snipe from the important workpiece. If I have several pieces to run I try to keep them running continuously so I donít have to worry about snipe except on the first and/or last piece.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
Toolman50 likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-01-2017, 01:25 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with you on that mate, the planer at my work chews up the first four and the last two inches. It gets real annoying to say the least.

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo (Pokemon the Movie)
It's kind of strange that this line was delivered in that movie of all things. It's still a really good quote, and certainly a dang good thing to remember.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-01-2017, 06:45 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
I hadn't seen this thread yet and posted a suggestion on your cutting board thread about helping with your snipe problem.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #10 of 15 Old 12-01-2017, 07:31 AM
The Man

View Masterofnone's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterofnone View Post
This has been my method also but I just hate wasting 4Ē off everything I plane. Sometimes I donít have 4Ē to waste. With todayís hardwood prices it gets expensive quick.
Yes I understand. Someone else suggested running scrap fore and aft of the project. Cumbersome, but it works very well.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-01-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo View Post
I hadn't seen this thread yet and posted a suggestion on your cutting board thread about helping with your snipe problem.
Yes, I got your post. You and Terry have both suggested the same thing. I wish Iíd posted my problem 24 hours ago. It probably would have saved me mucho denero.
Kenbo likes this.

post #12 of 15 Old 12-01-2017, 10:08 PM

View tewitt1949's Photo Album My Photos
I have a delta and to help with snipe, I pick up on the end of the board (the end furthest from the planer) as it exits the planer.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-05-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewitt1949 View Post
I have a delta and to help with snipe, I pick up on the end of the board (the end furthest from the planer) as it exits the planer.
I was able to reduce the snipe significantly by pulling up on the exit side.
Iíve used this little planer a lot and the snipe is my only complaint.
I was able to successfully belt sand the board to remove the snipe.
You know how it is, you go cheap, you might have extra work. :frown2:
And this little planer has no vacuum exhaust hook up.

post #14 of 15 Old 12-05-2017, 06:36 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
snipe only happens on the last pass on a piece for which you have no Plan B replacement....

having the outfeed "perfectly" supported (height wise) usually solves the problem. but the slightest bow in the board will nail you when alternating sides. I just leave it long . . .
post #15 of 15 Old 12-05-2017, 07:02 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Snipe can happen at the first of a cut or the end of the cut when one or the other feed roller isn't holding the board down. If you hold up on the board at the beginning until the board reaches the rear roller and then hold up on the board at the end of the cut until the board is past the head you shouldn't get snipe. On some planers, mostly industrial models the bottom rollers are adjustable and you can get the roller too high and it will cause snipe. I believe on Powermatic planers there is an additional lever which you can raise up the bottom rollers to make it feed better when the wood is completely rough. Then lower the rollers back down to a normal level once the board starts cleaning up.
Toolman50 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode