Planer Recommendations? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

View Roundup85's Photo Album My Photos
Planer Recommendations?

Looking for recommendations on a bench top planer for my shop. Mainly doing hobby projects and some hardwood furniture building. I want something that is going to last till I retire (20+ years) so not looking for anything cheap just to get by. Have been looking at the Dewalt 734 and 735 models. Father in law has the 735 and loves it, but not sure if it is worth the additional $200. I like the table extensions and dust chute that comes with the 734 as standard equipment but the Dewalt blades wearability seems to be a concern in the reviews I have researched. I have a dust collector with a 4" hose, so I am ready to handle the mountain of chips these produce. Have found a couple Dewalt 734 units on Craigs list but they are asking $300 when I can buy a new one for $377 with a warranty. I welcome your thoughts. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 01:10 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I have the 734, it replaced a heavily used 9+ year old 733. I run loads of everything through the 734, maple, cherry, walnut, paduak, purpleheart, canarywood, bubinga, glue ups. I replace/ reverse the blades maybe 2-3 times per year.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I also have the 734. It works well for what it is. I also have to replace the blades about once a year after a flip. I don't think it'll last 20 years though. I don't know what lunch box planer will. You'll have fun trying to find blades 20 years from now on any lunch box on the market now I'd wager. You may want to step up to a 15" stationary or lower your expectations of longetivity on a lunch box. And I'd buy new at those used prices. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 AM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
You are on the right track with either of those planers. Whether they will last 20 years depends on how much you use them.

The 735 seems to have a smoother elevation mechanism and is highly rated. I would suspect that blades for either will be around for a long time as there are so many of these units out there.

Bill
post #5 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 PM

View <*(((><'s Photo Album My Photos
I have the 735 and its a very nice planer. I bought it of a guy on craigslist for $400, it looked brand new. I still haven't bought the extension wings, but so far the snipe hasn't been too bad. I might just go and gets some laminate and build a through table instead of messing with the foldup wings. I haven't decided on that yet.

-luke
post #6 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 04:15 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 734. It is more than enough for me and what I do. I highly doubt I'll go through 1,000 bf in a year. I do small stuff. Boxes and little toys and things like that. I'm very happy with mine. I found it on CL for $200 and it was barely used. I don't expect it to last 20 years. By then, there will be much better things available.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
As a counterpoint here, there are still TONS of Ryobi AP10 had been in production for a couple of years before Norm Abram and his New Yankee Workshop hit our TV screens in 1989. (Norm had one in the early episodes. specifically epsiode numbers 107, 109, 212) and there are still plenty of those old AP10s churning out wood chips 23 + years after the fact... I see them on Craigslist quite often, and have a few neighbors with them... So don't write off the lower line stuff due to durability unless you have a reason to suspect a specific tool isn't going to last...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #8 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 09:34 PM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Another alternative is the Ridgid 4330. It has a three knife head, dust hood, and comes with infeed and outfeed extensions. I got mine new at Home Depot for $300. Had it for about a year and a half with no dramas. I see now that Ridgid has replaced that model with the R4331 with some new features. I also see they raised the price to $399. You might be able to take advantage of this new model introduction by finding a 4330 still in stock at HD for a lower discontinued price.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Ive had this puppy for over a year now and would highly reccomend it. I absolutley love it!!

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f24/s...-planer-23369/

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

View Roundup85's Photo Album My Photos
Purchased the Dewalt 734 for an early fathers day present. Spent over 30 minutes getting the factory set tables to the right heights. Dewalt if you claim in your manual that these are set at the factory, but after use they may require some adjustment. Just didnt realize after some use meant only 1 board. Appears to be a good machine. Ready to start a project so I can use it further.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-15-2012, 09:27 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Congrats on the new purchase. I have to adjust mine too. I have been getting sniped lately. Make sure you clean off your rollers with some denatured alcohol. I started having slippage almost right away on the feed b/c of whatever they put on them in the factory or maybe b/c the grease kicked on it. Enjoy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode