Which Plane Combo for A to Z Finishing? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 07-28-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

View amateur77's Photo Album My Photos
Which Plane Combo for A to Z Finishing?

I'm looking to purchase several hand planes (used vintage record/stanley) to be able to tackle various projects and to be able to do 95% of the work with handtools

I currently got a 8 record no4 which I'm planing to convert to be a scrub plane (camber the blade/widen the mouth).

This is my plan so far:
- for the first step -rapid stock removal and general roughing up/shaping I will have the no4 record scrubber
-Than to start level everything properly I'm thinking about purchasing a no5 or no 5.5 jackplane?
- Than For jointing large pieces I'm looking to purchase a no7
-And finally I need something for smoothing out and finishing Like a no3 or no4? I'm not really sure what kind of plane would be the best for this step or even if I need a smaller plane if I will already have a no5? what would you suggest?

-Also I plan to purchase an old record/stanley no80 cabinet scraper to almost replace my sander with so I need to sand as little as possible.

I will be mostly using the handplanes to finish 3ft-7ft long boards.

What do you think about my plan? What should I change or add or remove from the list?
I would like to have as little tools as possible, but still have everything I need to do everything properly without faffing around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-29-2017, 12:51 AM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
I use a #7 for jointing.

Scrub plane ... #5 as it has a little more weight than a #4, but is not too big.

Everything else ... a #4.

And a low-angle block plane for across the grain work.

Just my $.02.

... turning perfectly good wood into firewood every day ... :smile3:
post #3 of 5 Old 07-29-2017, 01:53 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think you really need all that many planes. I had a jointer, didn't use it enough, sold it. For long edges I use a shooting board.
This is my current set and thoughts on them:
Kunz No 80, Kunz No 112, scrapers, don't find either useful, can do a much faster job with a cabinet scraper.
9" x 2" iron, no name, old bench plane, finely tuned and my most used plane.
Stanley 10 1/2 coach maker, only used where I need to plane to a shoulder.
Stanley block plane, mainly used for chamfering edges
Stanley #75 very small rabbet, useful, especially working into corners
Stanley #78 rabbet plane with fences, scoring & depth shoes, best as cross grain worker
Flat and curved spoke shaves, draw knife, handy, especially if you have a shaving horse.
14" x 2" iron, very old Craftsman, I've trued it and it works well on larger flat surfaces because it has a corrugated sole.
My scrub plane was recently stolen. Will buy a cheap short plane and convert it into a scrub.
I have two wood bodied planes, neither of which I now use. A small plane of traditional design and a Primus Nr 704 with mechanical adjust. I prefer the mass of cast iron. I have some heavy, old, square edged Swan brand chisels that are my favorites. My mallet is a round Osage Orange that I turned. I've made a few traditional wood molding planes, always in rights & lefts. I've got several scratch stocks that I've made and find useful.
I've got a nice, old, German cabinet makers bench that is my most valuable and used tool.
I totally enjoy working with hand tools. That said, I also have a shop full of power tools. I find the shapers to be great for many tasks, as I can quickly grind a knife to any desired shape and power feed it for a high quality molding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-30-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

View amateur77's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
I use a #7 for jointing.

Scrub plane ... #5 as it has a little more weight than a #4, but is not too big.

Everything else ... a #4.

And a low-angle block plane for across the grain work.

Just my $.02.
hmm I thought a number 4 would be better scrub plane than a no 5 due to less weight?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-30-2017, 09:38 AM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by amateur77 View Post
hmm I thought a number 4 would be better scrub plane than a no 5 due to less weight?
Traditionally, the 14" No. 5 is called a "Jack" plane, because of its versatility. Long enough to be a jointer for short boards, and small enough to be a smoother. With a curved iron it works well as a scrub. I like it for taking down bowed or cupped stock before jointing on a machine - I can get the stock really close to flat with minimum thickness loss and less chance of the dreaded taper.

Dave in CT, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode