Pile-o-wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-13-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

View wborange's Photo Album My Photos
Pile-o-wood

There is a local classified posted for a stack of hardwood lumber at $70. The stack includes Oak, Walnut, Cherry, Mahogany, Maple. Based on the picture alone, does this price seem fair? How much would you pay?

Pile-o-wood-screenshot_2018-12-13-08-24-02-2_1544711612494.png

Looking forward to discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-13-2018, 04:06 PM

View Frost's Photo Album My Photos
My best guess from the photo is that' s around 40 bf. Could be way wrong, but looks like a pile about 1.5 high by 3'wide by 8' long to me. If my guess is even close, then less then $2/bd.ft. Looks as though its surfaced with decent edges so I'm thinking its a good deal.

But, it depends on the type of woodworking you do. If you do hobby sort of work and you can use a variety of woods, then grab it. For someone that makes smaller boxes, does some turning, laminates different woods and just needs to have a supply of different woods, this would be great.

I tend to do slightly larger things so I like to buy my wood at one time and mill it together, but I have the machines to do so. So, I'd pass.

Its a good deal though, and a very fair price. Also, it looks to be locally sourced hardwood, no exotics (other then the piece of mahogany) which I think is important.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-14-2018, 08:03 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
not a bargain, I would offer half that or walk. but I live in a hardwood forest...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-14-2018, 08:48 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
As best as I can see in the picture there is 7 rows of wood. If most of it is 5' long the stack appears to be 30" wide. My guess is there is 60-80 board feet there. That would be a reasonable price however since it's a mixture you may not have enough of any one species to build a project without buying some wood to go with it. The wood is 4/4 so board feet and square feet are the same thing. If you go look at it measure the stack and see how many square feet of wood there is.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-14-2018, 01:46 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Looks to me like there are boards in there that are thicker than 4/4. The top piece looks like 2x and only about 3' long.(really guess there) There is another thicker, shorter board next to that one. A lot of the boards are narrow.

There is some value there, but I am not sure it is $70.

George
post #6 of 7 Old 12-14-2018, 09:52 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I guess folks value things different and that is normal. That being said, I personally would give him $75 for that lumber. I like to make small things and there is plenty of wood there for several projects.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-15-2018, 11:02 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
It would help if we knew where @wborange lives.

Because wood is dense and heavy, it costs a lot to transport to areas where it isn't native. If you live where the wood grows, it is cheaper. If you buy the wood yourself in a lumber yard, you get to choose the boards you want. That has a lot of value in itself.

Compared with wood prices in my local area, it seems like a fair price, but no bargain. I would offer $50 or walk away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode