Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Woodworking Discussion (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/)
-   -   Pig tails (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/pig-tails-210955/)

wretched64 02-24-2019 10:34 PM

Pig tails
 
I've got a big box store orbital. I recently grabbed some diablo sanding pads. What cause the pig tails. Poor quality pads? Jumping grits?( 80,120,180) or the orbital itself?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BigJim 02-24-2019 11:16 PM

I would say the sand paper and maybe a little too much pressure on the sander. 80 grit is pretty rough unless removing some heavy stuff rough stuff.

NoThankyou 02-25-2019 01:03 AM

As BigJim said, 80 grit is too coarse and too much pressure. With most ROS the weight of the sander is enough to accomplish the task. As the sand paper wears, then slight pressure. A lot of pressure says time to change the disk.

I usually start with 120 grit then 180 for an oil finish and if a stain then 220. For end grain I'll go up to 400 or 600 to prevent the end grain from absorbing too much finish and darkening.

wretched64 02-25-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJim (Post 2040465)
I would say the sand paper and maybe a little too much pressure on the sander. 80 grit is pretty rough unless removing some heavy stuff rough stuff.

I made a few tops this weekend out of the pine board from HD the more expensive wood they offer but didnt have long enough clamps. I improvised. I belt sanded the bottom of top with belt sander for glue squeeze out. And because I need them done quickly used a short clamp time glue. Was not able to wipe off all squeeze out on top before it got too hard. I thought 120 wasnt going to take it off quick enough and flush sand the boards. I used biscuits every 18 inches but clamps prevented me from really flushing very well. I will remeber this advice. I am going with klingspore next as well. Here is a pic of longer top so you can see how I had to clamp it. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8a5e109d1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tool Agnostic 02-25-2019 12:46 PM

Can you post a photo of the pigtails that you are seeing?

I have a Ridgid ROS (random orbital sander) that I bought at Home Depot. I use Diablo sanding pads in an assortment of grits: 80, 120, 150, 220.

I don't skip grits. I use the weight of the sander and don't press down. I attach the sander to my shop vac to remove dust. I start and stop the sander with the disc on the workpiece. I stop and check my work frequently with a straightedge.

I have not seen pigtails, but I always do a little bit of touch up hand sanding. I use a sanding block, and always sand with the grain. I know that the ROS is "random", so I want to do that last bit of final sanding with the grain. Habit, I suppose.

Could the problem be related to poor dust collection?

For me, the dangers are:

* Not sanding evenly. I keep a straightedge handy as a reference, and check frequently.
* Recognizing that more sanding in a particular spot is not the solution, but I must sand everything else down to match it. It is a variation of the point above.
* Rounding edges when I don't want them rounded.
* Hand sanding without a block. I don't want to leave "finger ripples" (my term) in the wood.

I haven't used the ROS in a while, but I have a red oak wall shelf project in progress, and the next step is sanding with the ROS, so I will pay attention. I may not get to it until later in the week. I will post an update if I learn anything interesting.

Stevedore 02-25-2019 12:53 PM

I've found that I get those markings if I move the ROS around too quickly on the workpiece, especially with coarser grits.

Steve Neul 02-25-2019 12:59 PM

I think the sander rpm has a lot to do with it. I sand with a porter cable quicksand sander which runs very fast. I seldom have problems with swirl marks from diablo 80x pads.

wretched64 02-25-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic (Post 2040577)
Can you post a photo of the pigtails that you are seeing?



I have a Ridgid ROS (random orbital sander) that I bought at Home Depot. I use Diablo sanding pads in an assortment of grits: 80, 120, 150, 220.



I don't skip grits. I use the weight of the sander and don't press down. I attach the sander to my shop vac to remove dust. I start and stop the sander with the disc on the workpiece. I stop and check my work frequently with a straightedge.



I have not seen pigtails, but I always do a little bit of touch up hand sanding. I use a sanding block, and always sand with the grain. I know that the ROS is "random", so I want to do that last bit of final sanding with the grain. Habit, I suppose.



Could the problem be related to poor dust collection?



For me, the dangers are:



* Not sanding evenly. I keep a straightedge handy as a reference, and check frequently.

* Recognizing that more sanding in a particular spot is not the solution, but I must sand everything else down to match it. It is a variation of the point above.

* Rounding edges when I don't want them rounded.

* Hand sanding without a block. I don't want to leave "finger ripples" (my term) in the wood.



I haven't used the ROS in a while, but I have a red oak wall shelf project in progress, and the next step is sanding with the ROS, so I will pay attention. I may not get to it until later in the week. I will post an update if I learn anything interesting.

I have the rigid 5" purchased it before the weekend. I've already had the top delivered. It wasnt an issue the guy. It's a family member and he used very dark stain. It might be the uneven surface. I had the boards tweak just a 32nd on I got impatient.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wretched64 02-25-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Neul (Post 2040581)
I think the sander rpm has a lot to do with it. I sand with a porter cable quicksand sander which runs very fast. I seldom have problems with swirl marks from diablo 80x pads.

When do you adjusted the speed? I ran the rigid on 6 speed fastest it moved

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wretched64 02-25-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevedore (Post 2040579)
I've found that I get those markings if I move the ROS around too quickly on the workpiece, especially with coarser grits.

I tried varying my sanding speed movement no avail

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Steve Neul 02-25-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wretched64 (Post 2040589)
When do you adjusted the speed? I ran the rigid on 6 speed fastest it moved

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The sander I have only has one speed. I don't really see a need for a slower speed so if I had one like yours I would set it on the fastest speed and leave it there.

You might also be creating swirl marks if you are moving the sander too fast. It needs to sand at it's own pace.

Jim Frye 02-25-2019 07:00 PM

Were the sanding disks "corning"? Getting little chunks embedded in the grit? This would also leave marks in the wood. I ask because you stated you were rushing the job and I'm wondering if semi-cured glue was getting embedded in the grit and the heat from the sanding friction was setting the corns into hard little spots.

wretched64 02-25-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Frye (Post 2040671)
Were the sanding disks "corning"? Getting little chunks embedded in the grit? This would also leave marks in the wood. I ask because you stated you were rushing the job and I'm wondering if semi-cured glue was getting embedded in the grit and the heat from the sanding friction was setting the corns into hard little spots.

That's a good thought. There were little ones not many though. I'll keep an eye out next time. I was sanding with 220 mirko today and encounter no swirls

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tool Agnostic 02-25-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wretched64 (Post 2040591)
I tried varying my sanding speed movement no avail

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Neul (Post 2040605)
The sander I have only has one speed. I don't really see a need for a slower speed so if I had one like yours I would set it on the fastest speed and leave it there.

You might also be creating swirl marks if you are moving the sander too fast. It needs to sand at it's own pace.

I run the Ridgid ROS from Home Depot at full speed always. I haven't found a need where I might use a slower speed.

Does anyone run their ROS at less than full speed? If so, under what circumstances would you want to slow it down?

WeebyWoodWorker 02-25-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Neul (Post 2040605)
The sander I have only has one speed. I don't really see a need for a slower speed so if I had one like yours I would set it on the fastest speed and leave it there.

You might also be creating swirl marks if you are moving the sander too fast. It needs to sand at it's own pace.


I do that too, no need for slower speeds so i just leave it on the fastest.


-T

Steve Neul 02-26-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic (Post 2040703)
I run the Ridgid ROS from Home Depot at full speed always. I haven't found a need where I might use a slower speed.

Does anyone run their ROS at less than full speed? If so, under what circumstances would you want to slow it down?

I don't really know but I suspect it has to do with sanding metal. Even drilling metal the slower speeds work better.

Jim Frye 02-26-2019 08:04 AM

I always thought that faster speeds with an ROS made for more agressive stock removal. I usually run my Bosch ROS at higher speeds with coarser grits to level and then slow things down as I work through to finer grits. I also run it on the slowest speed with a polishing bonnet mounted.

Bob Vaughan 02-28-2019 11:14 PM

Move the sander at the pace of one inch per second. That reduces a lot of the swirls. Some sandpaper has poorly glued abrasive. The little rocks get loose and get swirled around. Use good sandpaper. I like the stuff intended for the automotive industry.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome